#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo

Will Brooks - BellatorWith a win over Satoru Kitaoka on New Year’s Eve at Dream 18 and a spot in this season’s Bellator lightweight tournament, things are looking up for “Ill” Will Brooks, but it’s only because he feels he’s made changes for the better in his personal life that things in his career are looking up.

“For me, I’d been focusing on being a better person than my career, but the more I focused on being a better person spilled over into my career,” said Brooks.

“It’s just a positive energy that I’m trying to put out into the environment and people around me spilled over into my career and it’s really boosted my career and given me great opportunities like competing in Japan and coming back home and being able to sign with Bellator.”

Already a strong wrestler, Brooks told MMAWeekly.com that his striking has really been coming around of late, making him even more relaxed and potentially dangerous to opponents.

“I’m finding my comfort zone and place in the cage,” he said. “And once that starts happening, I think that’s when you really start to have success in whatever you do. “

Brooks’ peaking comes at an important time in his career, as he steps into Thursday’s Spike TV broadcasted Bellator event for company debut in the first round of the lightweight tournament against promotional veteran Ricardo Tirloni.

“He’s an explosive, well-rounded opponent, so I’m excited about it,” said Brooks of Tirloni. “I know he’s a black belt in jiu-jitsu, but from what video I’ve seen, he’s more than willing to stand and strike.

“Wherever it goes – ground, standing – I’m going to pressure him and make him look for ways to want to quit. That’s my job, to make the guy want to quit and not put it in the hands of the judges. I want to take everything from him; take his will and force him to look for a way out of the fight.”

Though he is 8-0 with finishes in all eight of his fights, Brooks feels every fight at this level is statement fight for him and that he wants to prove he’s as much of a threat to take the tournament title as anyone else.

“With this fight, I’m looking to keep putting in people’s mind that I am a dominant force in the lightweight division and will be here for a very long time,” he said. “I’m looking to finish this fight and have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Having found himself at a good place both personally and professionally, Brooks is content to take things as they come and not look too far ahead of himself.

“In the beginning I was trying to force it, really focusing on ‘this is what I want to do, that is what I want to do’ and once I started doing that, I started putting a lot of pressure on myself and got into a really negative place,” he said.

“Recently I settled back and decided to take it one fight at a time, and whatever is put in front of me, I’ll deal with it as it comes.”

Comments

Bellator 182 pre-event facts: A.J. McKee looks to join history books

For more on the number’s behind Bellator’s latest event, check out 20 pre-event facts about Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Chidi Njokuani's Just Going To Be Himself Against Andrey Koresh at Bellator 182 | MMAWeekly.com

Chidi Njokuani will look to pick up his eighth win in a row when he faces Andrey Koreshkov in the 170-pound main event of Bellator 182 on Friday in Verona, N.Y. read news >>

Bellator 182's Georgi Karakhanyan says he's still hungry, has much left in the tank

It hasn’t been the easiest three years or so for Georgi Karakhanyan, but the veteran featherweight says he’s still got plenty left in him.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio Highlight, Videos read news >>

Pro boxer Ana Julaton talks great 'TUF 26' tryouts experience, hints at unique Bellator negotiations

Boxing standout and ONE Championship vet Ana Julaton may not have gotten the gig she was looking for, but attending “The Ultimate Fighter 26” tryouts was no waste of time.Filed under: Bellator, News, read news >>

Bellator 188 features title rematch between champ Patricio Freire, Daniel Weichel

Daniel Weichel nearly captured the title from Patricio Freire once before.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

A.J. McKee Expecting to Move One Step Closer to Title Shot at Bellator 182 | MMAWeekly.com

At Bellator 182 on August 25, AJ McKee (6-0) will look to build another finishing streak when he takes on Blair Tugman (10-6) in a main card 145-pound bout. read news >>

Undefeated A.J. McKee wants rival James Gallagher for next fight after Bellator 182

Rising Bellator star A.J. McKee’s plan is to win at Bellator 182, fight rival James Gallagher, and then stake his claim for a title shot. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Co-headliner Fernando Gonzalez believes an exciting Bellator 182 display could lead to a title shot

Brennan Ward hasn’t gone the distance in his 14 Bellator encounters, and Fernando Gonzalez is not expecting to change that at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

5 reasons to watch 'Bellator 182: Koreshkov vs. Njokuani,' hiding under the MayMac radar

Most of the MMA world is focused on MayMac this week, but don’t forget about two crucial welterweight fights Friday at Bellator 182.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Conor McGregor Has 'A Great Chance' vs. Floyd Mayweather, Nate Diaz Says

Conor McGregor has gotten a vote of confidence from rival Nate Diaz leading into Saturday's fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. In an appearance on the Against All Odds with Cousin Sal podcast (h/t Th read news >>