#UFC 218 #Conor McGregor #Francis Ngannou #Alistair Overeem #UFC 217 #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #Stipe Miocic #GSP #Max Holloway #Eddie Alvarez

He’s the odds-on favorite to win the thing, but Matt Mitrione initially wasn’t very excited about Bellator’s upcoming heavyweight tournament.

As recently announced, the Bellator MMA World Grand Prix 2018 will kick off in early 2018, with eight fighters – four heavyweights and four light heavyweights – fighting for the organization’s vacant heavyweight title.

Mitrione is a 2-1 (+200) favorite to win the grand prix and has the best odds to merge victorious at the end. So, why was he initially bummed when officials approached him about the tourney, which will be held throughout the year over multiple events?

“I’m not good at giving political answers, so I’ll give you an honest answer: I wasn’t really excited, to be honest,” Mitrione told MMAjunkie Rado. ” … I think it would have been a true heavyweight grand prix to fill it with heavyweights. I think it would have been even better to do it in the same night. I think that would have been a lot of fun.

“But that’s not how it went. I think they chose the most athletic, most exciting guys they have, and I think that’s what the draw of the tournament is.”

Mitrione (12-5 MMA, 3-0 BMMA) is coming off a signature career victory – over famed heavyweight, former PRIDE champion and fellow Bellator tourney participant Fedor Emelianenko (36-5 MMA, 0-1 BMMA). Mitrione, an NFL and UFC vet, thought it might’ve given him a fast-track for a shot at the vacant Bellator heavyweight belt.

“I would have originally wanted just a title fight, and then have the winner of the tournament fight me for the title – and I would defend it hopefully once during the middle of the year,” he said.

Instead, he’ll need at least three victories to win the tourney and claim the belt. Currently, the sports books (and MMAjunkie readers) feel he’s the favorite to do so.

Does he think those odds are right?

“Yeah, I think I expected it, to be honest,” he said. “I feel like I’m the best heavyweight Bellator has to offer, and I say rather readily that on any given day, I’m the best heavyweight in the world. I had just a couple of missteps (during my UFC career), and it cost me a pretty substantial amount in my name value, but I feel like when it comes down to scrapping, I’m one of the best in the world. So I’m not surprised I’m the favorite.

“Then again, in that same breath, we have three light heavyweights and a bloated middleweight. If it was a full-fledged heavyweight grand prix or heavyweight tournament, then I think it might possibly be a little different.”

Mitrione specifically mentioned Cheick Kongo (27-10-2 MMA, 9-2 BMMA) and Sergei Kharitonov (26-6 MMA, 1-1 BMMA) as true heavyweights he would’ve liked to see in the field.

However, those three light heavyweights – reigning 205-pound champ Ryan Bader (24-5 MMA, 2-0 BMMA), former UFC titleholder Quinton Jackson (37-12 MMA, 4-1 BMMA) and ex-Strikeforce champ Muhammed Lawal (21-6 MMA, 10-4 BMMA), as well the “bloated middleweight,” multi-time UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen (29-15-1 MMA, 1-1 BMMA) – add an interesting wrinkle to the grand-prix field, he said.

“I think the smaller bodies make it a much more interesting tournament, for sure,” Mitrione said.

For more on the upcoming Bellator schedule, visit the MMA Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, Brian “Goze” Garcia and Dan Tom. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Galleries

Matt Mitrione Fights

• 5 months ago

Comments

Bellator 189 results: David Rickels thwarts Adam Piccolotti in record-setting Bellator bout

Adam Piccolotti’s late rally wasn’t enough to stop David Rickels from winning their catchweight bout tonight at Bellator 189. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Roy Nelson vs. Matt Mitrione Grand Prix Bout Headlines Bellator 194 | MMAWeekly.com

The second of four fights making up the first round of the 2018 Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix will headline Bellator 194. read news >>

5 reasons to watch Bellator 188, where Noad Lahat headlines in his native Israel

Bellator is making the most of its time overseas, with Bellator 188 taking place Thursday in Tel Aviv, Israel.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

John Salter Questions Bellator 188 Opponent Jason Radcliffe's Chin | MMAWeekly.com

John Salter (14-3) turns his attention towards facing Jason Radcliffe (12-4) in a main card 185-pound bout at Bellator 188 in Tel Aviv, Israel. read news >>

Bellator 188 weigh-in results: Noad Lahat (146), Jeremiah Labiano (146) official for headliner

The weigh-ins are in the books for this week’s Bellator 188 event, and the fighters on the main card all hit their marks.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Who wins Bellator heavyweight grand prix? A primer on the good, the old and the weird

Bellator’s heavyweight tournament is bound to get weird, which seems to be part of its purpose. So who are these guys, and what are their chances?Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Kimbo Slice the latest to get bobblehead treatment from Bellator – complete with a gold chain

Want another bobblehead to add to your collection next to Fedor, Royce and Randy? Get ready for the Kimbo Slice edition in January.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Tyron Woodley Opens as Heavy Betting Favorite Over Nate Diaz | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley has opened as a heavy favorite over Nate Diaz. read news >>

From Brazil's karate team to the Bellator cage, Luiz Victor Rocha unshaken by bright lights

Luiz Victor Rocha is fighting on the Bellator MMA stage sooner than he expected but feels comfortable thanks to a life of competing in karate.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Check out Noad Lahat's highlight reel before his main event at Bellator 188

Before he steps in the cage for his first main event for a major promotion, check out some of Noad Lahat’s highlights courtesy of Bellator.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>