#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Conor McGregor #UFC 222 #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Alexander Volkov #UFC 217 #Tony Ferguson

Why Matt Mitrione was initially bummed by Bellator heavyweight grand prix

He’s the odds-on favorite to win the thing, but Matt Mitrione initially wasn’t very excited about Bellator’s upcoming heavyweight tournament.

As recently announced, the Bellator MMA World Grand Prix 2018 will kick off in early 2018, with eight fighters – four heavyweights and four light heavyweights – fighting for the organization’s vacant heavyweight title.

Mitrione is a 2-1 (+200) favorite to win the grand prix and has the best odds to merge victorious at the end. So, why was he initially bummed when officials approached him about the tourney, which will be held throughout the year over multiple events?

“I’m not good at giving political answers, so I’ll give you an honest answer: I wasn’t really excited, to be honest,” Mitrione told MMAjunkie Rado. ” … I think it would have been a true heavyweight grand prix to fill it with heavyweights. I think it would have been even better to do it in the same night. I think that would have been a lot of fun.

“But that’s not how it went. I think they chose the most athletic, most exciting guys they have, and I think that’s what the draw of the tournament is.”

Mitrione (12-5 MMA, 3-0 BMMA) is coming off a signature career victory – over famed heavyweight, former PRIDE champion and fellow Bellator tourney participant Fedor Emelianenko (36-5 MMA, 0-1 BMMA). Mitrione, an NFL and UFC vet, thought it might’ve given him a fast-track for a shot at the vacant Bellator heavyweight belt.

“I would have originally wanted just a title fight, and then have the winner of the tournament fight me for the title – and I would defend it hopefully once during the middle of the year,” he said.

Instead, he’ll need at least three victories to win the tourney and claim the belt. Currently, the sports books (and MMAjunkie readers) feel he’s the favorite to do so.

Does he think those odds are right?

“Yeah, I think I expected it, to be honest,” he said. “I feel like I’m the best heavyweight Bellator has to offer, and I say rather readily that on any given day, I’m the best heavyweight in the world. I had just a couple of missteps (during my UFC career), and it cost me a pretty substantial amount in my name value, but I feel like when it comes down to scrapping, I’m one of the best in the world. So I’m not surprised I’m the favorite.

“Then again, in that same breath, we have three light heavyweights and a bloated middleweight. If it was a full-fledged heavyweight grand prix or heavyweight tournament, then I think it might possibly be a little different.”

Mitrione specifically mentioned Cheick Kongo (27-10-2 MMA, 9-2 BMMA) and Sergei Kharitonov (26-6 MMA, 1-1 BMMA) as true heavyweights he would’ve liked to see in the field.

However, those three light heavyweights – reigning 205-pound champ Ryan Bader (24-5 MMA, 2-0 BMMA), former UFC titleholder Quinton Jackson (37-12 MMA, 4-1 BMMA) and ex-Strikeforce champ Muhammed Lawal (21-6 MMA, 10-4 BMMA), as well the “bloated middleweight,” multi-time UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen (29-15-1 MMA, 1-1 BMMA) – add an interesting wrinkle to the grand-prix field, he said.

“I think the smaller bodies make it a much more interesting tournament, for sure,” Mitrione said.

For more on the upcoming Bellator schedule, visit the MMA Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, Brian “Goze” Garcia and Dan Tom. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Matt Mitrione Fights

• 8 months ago

Tywan Claxton comes to grips with disappointment over Bellator 194 TKO win

Tywan Claxton wasn’t thrilled with his TKO win in his second pro fight at Bellator 194, but knows he has to cut himself some slack. read news >>

Matt Mitrione calls bull(expletive) on alleged Roy Nelson third-round tactic at Bellator 194

Matt Mitrione has an explanation for what went down in the third round of his fight with Roy Nelson at Bellator 194. read news >>

Matt Mitrione: Stipe Miocic still No. 1 heavyweight, no matter who wins Bellator tournament

Don’t expect Matt Mitrione to get a swelled head about his position in the sport if he wins the Bellator heavyweight tournament. read news >>

Bellator 194: Roy Nelson vs. Matt Mitrione (Countdown, Episode 2) | MMAWeekly.com

Take an in-depth look at Bellator 194, which features the second quarterfinal match-up of the Heavyweight Grand Prix: Roy Nelson vs. Matt Mitrione. (Episode 2) read news >>

Roy Nelson takes a harsh shot at Matt Mitrione after claims of cheating in Bellator tourney bout

Roy Nelson wants back in the Bellator World Heavyweight Grand Prix tournament, ideally for a trilogy matchup against Matt Mitrione. read news >>

Bellator 194 highlights: Matt Mitrione advances as Vadim Nemkov tenderizes Liam McGeary's leg

We have a new semifinalist in the heavyweight grand prix, but Bellator 194’s buzziest finish likely came from main-card fighter Vadim Nemkov. read news >>

Bellator 194 results: Matt Mitrione survives tough third to outpoint Roy Nelson

Matt Mitrione survived a rough third round to outpoint Roy Nelson and advance to the semifinals of the Bellator Heavyweight Grand Prix. Mitrione (13-5 MMA, 4-0 BMMA) earned two scores of 29-28 over N read news >>

Matt Mitrione Narrowly Defeats Roy Nelson (Bellator 194 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

The Bellator MMA cage was at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut on Friday for Bellator 194: Mitirone vs. Nelson 2. The event was headlined by a quarterfinal bout in the Bellator Heavywe read news >>

Bellator 194 Highlights: Roy Nelson Not Happy Losing Decision to Matt Mitrione | MMAWeekly.com

? (Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) Matt Mitrione avenged his loss to Roy Nelson from several years prior, taking a majority-decision nod from the judges at Bellator 194 on Friday in Uncasville read news >>

Roy Nelson has two fingers to let you know what he thinks of Matt Mitrione's Bellator 194 win

It’s safe to say Roy Nelson is going to head back to Las Vegas less than thrilled about the outcome of his Bellator 194 main event. read news >>

President Scott Coker has high praise for youthful Matt Mitrione after Bellator 194

Scott Coker gave credit to Matt Mitrione looking like a 25-year-old against Roy Nelson at Bellator 194 rather than someone approaching 40. read news >>

Matt Mitrione won't mess with weight ahead of next Bellator tourney fight

Matt Mitrione said he won’t monkey with his weight even though he’s fighting a light heavyweight next in the heavyweight tournament. read news >>

Bellator 194 results: Heather Hardy outworks Ana Julaton in snoozer

It wasn’t pretty, but Heather Hardy got her doubleheader against Ana Julaton off to a good start. read news >>

Bellator 194 results: Patricky Freire shuts down Derek Campos again, calls for title shot

Patricky Freire’s second go-around with Derek Campos ended with the same concussive result – just a little earlier. read news >>

Twitter wasn't happy about Heather Hardy and Ana Julaton's lackluster Bellator 194 fight

“Is there any chance I can get those 15 minutes of my life back?” read news >>

Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of Bellator 194, where the Eminem Curse reared its ugly head

Check out the main-card fighter walkout songs from Friday’s Bellator 194 event. read news >>

Search for: