#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Conor McGregor #Fight On #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #Frankie Edgar #Jon Jones #Cub Swanson #Askhab Zulaev #UFC 216 #UFC 223

What hits like a heavyweight, but moves like a welterweight? A driven Derrick Lewis, apparently

With six knockout wins featured among his past eight UFC fights, Derrick Lewis has been one of the most menacing presences in the heavyweight division’s recent history.

But, in reality, Lewis hadn’t been feeling that great for a while. Dealing with injuries, and lacking the motivation to go through the whole fight process, Lewis says his past three or four fights were preceded by “mediocre” training. When that resulted on a loss – a fourth-round TKO to Mark Hunt in June – Lewis took the MMA world by surprise by announcing he was walking away.

But then, a mere two months later, Lewis (18-5 MMA, 9-3 UFC) was announced in the UFC 216 lineup opposite former UFC heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum (21-7-1 MMA, 9-4 UFC).

“The Black Beast,” it turns out, only needed a little time off. And by the sound (and looks) of it, it seems that it did him some good.

“I think you’ll see me bouncing around the cage like I’m a welterweight,” Lewis told MMAjunkie ahead of the pay-per-view main card fight, which takes place Oct. 7 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. “I’m moving pretty good, I’m feeling good. My strength and conditioning coach, Jimmy Gerland, has really been pushing me and making me better than I’ve ever been.

“I’m feeling incredible right now. Ain’t no excuses should come out of my mouth after this fight. Win, lose or draw, you should just see a damn good performance out of myself.”

And if a faster, better-conditioned Lewis didn’t sound scary enough, he’s found some added motivation in his competition, too.

“I feel like this is the championship fight,” Lewis said. “Because Werdum – he was the champion like two years ago. And this is basically like a little mini championship fight for me, so I’m going to take it like it is one.”

Werdum was indeed the champion not that long ago – more precisely, until May 2016, when a UFC 198 battle saw the belt move on to current champ Stipe Miocic’s hands. He’s since gone on a 1-1 octagon run, with an unanimous call over Travis Browne followed by a majority-decision loss to Alistair Overeem.

While the strides made in Werdum’s standup game under the guidance of Rafael Cordeiro have been subject of praise, the grappling that earned the Brazilian heavyweight submission wins over legends like Fedor Emelianenko and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira are still his most well-known weapon.

Lewis, in turn, is mostly seen as a heavy-handed opponent who offers the most danger on his feet – which, judging by a record that includes 16 knockout wins, isn’t exactly an inaccurate assessment.

Are we looking at a classic striker vs. grappler matchup here, then? Well, Lewis is not offended by you saying that at all. He’s just not particularly worried, either.

“I’ve been hearing that my whole career,” Lewis said. “Seven, eight years – I’ve been hearing the same thing: Every time I’m fighting, even a striker, (that) if the guy would ever take me down, then he’d have the advantage, and I’m really not worried about that.

“I believe that, if my conditioning is on point – which I know it is – and just listen to my coaches and watch my hand placement for whenever I do get on top or whatever position I’m at.

“I believe it’s just going to really take one punch. Even if he tries to play that pull guard crap. If you’re playing that pull guard crap, then he’ll see that he’s going to get knocked out.”

It seems we can expect a refreshed version of Lewis to hit the octagon next month. But there’s still at least one thing about “The Black Beast” and his approach to the fight game that hasn’t really changed.

“It’s all about the money,” Lewis said. “I don’t give a damn about the title. If I fight for the title, that’s fine. But if not, I don’t care. If fighting for the title is going to give me more money, than I’ll fight for it.”

For more on UFC 216, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Galleries

Derrick Lewis Fights

• a year ago

Comments

15 fights into his UFC career, Brad Tavares still committed and ready to make his run

UFC on FOX 29’s Brad Tavares is approaching the eight-year anniversary of his UFC debut, but he still believes his best is yet to come. read news >>

Logan Storley Continues to Claw His Way into Bellator Title Picture | MMAWeekly.com

Just seven fights into his undefeated MMA career, Logan Storley continues to claw his way into the Bellator title picture. read news >>

Carlos Condit Determined to Put on Best Performance of His Career at UFC on FOX 29 | MMAWeekly.com

Heading into Saturday's UFC on FOX 29 in Arizona, Carlos Condit believes that all signs are pointing toward the best performance of his career. read news >>

Glendale bout most meaningful of Gaethje's career

“This one is a lot more important; it means a lot more to me than I’ve ever felt a fight meant,” he said. “It’s so important as a step in my career because there is finally a little bit more clear pa read news >>

Report: Conor McGregor Was 'Causing Trouble' in Hotel Room After Jail Release

Conor McGregor apparently didn't calm down after his release from jail. According to Igor Kossov and Linda Massarella of the New York Post , the UFC star reportedly continued his mayhem at the read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk: 'I Felt Like I Was Winning The Fight' | MMAWeekly.com

Former women's strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk suffered her second career loss on Saturday in the UFC 223 co-main event. read news >>

UFC 223 results: Chris Gruetzemacher leaves Joe Lauzon a bloody mess for TKO win

Chris Gruetzemacher picked up the biggest win of his career and left veteran Joe Lauzon a bruised and bloody mess. read news >>

MMA's week out of the cage: UFC champs open New York Stock Exchange, Derrick Lewis' military visit

Check out the best social media posts from fighters and their lives outside of the cage during the past week. 1 2 read news >>

Dana White: Brock Lesnar is 'Coming Back' to the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar is ready to resume his UFC career. UFC president Dana White announced on Wednesday that Lesnar plans to resume his fighting career in the near future with a r read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk: Rematch with Rose Namajunas 'Bigger Than 14 Years of My Fighting Career' | MMAWeekly.com

Joanna Jedrzejczyk knows that her legacy is on the line when she steps into the cage against Rose Namajunas on Saturday night at UFC 223 read news >>

Daily Debate: Did Ronda Rousey react appropriately to questions about her MMA career?

Former UFC champion Ronda Rousey clearly doesn’t like answering questions about her recent MMA past, as we discuss in the latest Daily Debate. read news >>

Cub Swanson Ready to Even the Score with Frankie Edgar | MMAWeekly.com

For only the second time in his 14-year fighting career, Cub Swanson will fight in a rematch. "Killer" faces former lightweight champ Frankie Edgar on April 21. read news >>

20 unforgettable moments from Conor McGregor's career

You remember Conor McGregor, right? “The Notorious” hasn’t fought in the UFC since November 2016. While we wait for his return, look back. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 …20 read news >>

Ronda Rousey Opens Up on MMA Career, Talks Conor McGregor in Lengthy Interview

Ronda Rousey has been one of the hottest topics in combat sports over the last few days — but not for her upcoming match at WrestleMania 34 in New Orleans... read news >>

Champ Ryan Bader reveals planned weight for Bellator heavyweight tourney

Ryan Bader competes up a weight class for the first time in his career when he participates in the Bellator Heavyweight World Grand Prix. read news >>

Why can't Ronda Rousey make peace with her MMA career and the inevitable questions about it?

After awkward exchanges in a successive ESPN interviews, it seems like Ronda Rousey is still haunted by her MMA past – or she’s pulling off a very convincing pro wrestling narrative as the former fig read news >>