#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Gokhan Saki #Ovince St. Preux #Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83

Lauren Murphy“No, I didn’t see any of this happening.”

This is what female 135-pound fighter Lauren Murphy says when she looks back over her year in 2013.

Having started out the year a virtual unknown, Murphy has quickly risen up the ranks and now finds herself on the cusp of an Invicta FC championship.

And to think, none of this might have happened if she had turned down another path just prior to the start of the year.

“At this time last year I was kind of at a crossroads between fighting and really going for it or going home and finding a day job and settle down with my life,” said Murphy. “I really didn’t know what to do.

“This sounds kind of stupid, but I said a prayer and over the next couple of months things started to develop and I think this is where I am supposed to be.”

Not only has Murphy come far in her career this year, but she feels her game has also grown by leaps and bounds in her wins over Jennifer Scott in Legacy FC and Kaitlin Young and Sarah D’Alelio in Invicta.

“Of course, you always want to do better, but I think just watching my growth as a fighter has been pretty impressive to me,” she told MMAWeekly.com.

“It’s pretty awesome to look back at my fight with Jennifer and think how I did so much wrong in that fight, and how I improved in my fight with Kaitlin and improved even more with my fight with Sarah.”

Next up for Murphy (7-0) is a 135-pound Invicta title fight against Miriam Nokamoto (2-0) this Saturday in Kansas City.

“I’ve just got to go out there and get in (Nakomoto’s) face,” said Murphy. “Physically, I know I’m there. I know I’ve got great cardio, I know I’m strong for my size, and have been improving a lot. So for me, I just want to stay in her face and not back down and not take any (expletive) from anybody.”

Going into her first major title fight as part of what is arguably Invicta’s biggest event to date, Murphy acknowledges that there is added pressure, but for her it’s something that she intends to feed off of and thrive on.

“It’s a big deal to fight for Invicta always, no matter where you are on the card,” she said. “Every girl who is not signed with Invicta wants to be with Invicta. As far as the pressure of how many people are going to be watching and the press and that, I kind of like it. It really motivates me and makes me want to fight.”

Having built herself into one of the top female fighters in the world after nearly having stepped away, Murphy is thankful for 2013 and is looking forward to accomplishing more in 2014.

“I think next year is going to be a really big year for me,” she said. “I think I came into my own as a fighter this year and did some really big things this year, and I just want to do it bigger and better next year.”

Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Comments

Get To Know TUF Cast: Lauren Murphy

Lauren Murphy, a former Invicta FC bantamweight champion with four UFC fights to her name, didn’t feel like an MMA veteran earlier this year. Then she joined the cast of The Ultimate Fighter and ever read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 pre-event facts: Jessica Andrade 1st female with a dozen UFC fights

Check out 40 facts, figures and footnotes about UFC Fight Night 117, which features an Ovince Saint Preux vs. Yushin Okami main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Why you should really pay attention to Paul Daley vs. Lorenz Larkin at Bellator 183

There are certain fights that bring out your inner-fan, and Paul Daley vs. Lorenz Larkin at Bellator 183 is one of them. Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 Preview: 3 Fights You Can't Miss from Japan Card

I come before you today not to sell snake oil. UFC Fight Night 117 is not a good card. The card, which happens from the venerated Saitama Super Arena in Japan and airs Friday night in the United Stat read news >>

Fight Week with Gokhan Saki in Japan

Kickboxing legend Gokhan Saki makes his debut in Japan Friday night on FXX. Take a special look at his fight week through the power of social media. read news >>

Bellator 183 and Bellator Kickboxing 7 weigh-in results: Henderson (155.9), Freire (156) lead 20 total fights

• a day ago

SAN JOSE, Calif. – MMAjunkie was on scene and reporting live from today’s combined Bellator 183 and Bellator Kickboxing 7 official fighter weigh-ins.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Does the UFC have a real future in China?

• a day ago

After testing the waters with a trio of events in Macau, the UFC soon makes its debut in Mainland China. Is there a future there, though?Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Just call it the Von Preux choke from now on

• 18 hours ago

Three out of the five fights in UFC history won by Von Flue choke have come from Ovince Saint Preux, so it's time to rename the move. read news >>

Kevin Lee: Conor McGregor is a Paper UFC Lightweight Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee fights for the interim lightweight title against Tony Ferguson at UFC 216 and says the bout will crown the real lightweight champion. read news >>

UFC 215 lineup set with 2 title fights in Edmonton, including Demetrious Johnson's quest for record

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return trip to Canada next month, including a pair of title fights at the top of the bill. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>