UFC President Dana White promised the world that new UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman (10-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) and former kingpin Anderson Silva (33-5 MMA, 16-1 UFC) would meet again. Now it’s official.
The UFC boss today revealed on ESPN’s SportsCenter that both Weidman and Silva have agreed to meet on Dec. 28 in the headlining bout of a previously announced UFC 168 event, which takes place at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. The night’s main card, including the Weidman vs. Silva rematch, airs on pay-per-view. White further confirmed that bout agreements have already been signed.
White previously announced UFC 168 would see women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) face former Strikeforce title holder Miesha Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) in the evening’s main event. However, that fight between former Strikeforce champs and opposing “The Ultimate Fighter 18? coaches will instead serve as the co-main event of what starts out as a star-studded affair.
“I don’t know if there’s any more hype ever in UFC history after a fight,” White said. “Everybody has been wondering if there’s going to be a rematch. I’ve been working on it since Thursday. December 28 in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand, Anderson Silva will fight Chris Weidman, and the co-main event will be Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate.”
The announcement comes one week after this past Saturday night’s historic UFC 162 event in Las Vegas, where a confident Weidman upset the former champion. Weidman, of course, expressed his desire to face Silva a second time even before they stepped into the cage at UFC 162, knowing it would take a pair of victories over the pound-for-pound great. Meanwhile, the former champ at first suggested that he wasn’t immediately interested in a rematch, but White insisted that the Brazilian would reconsider his position and seek redemption against the undefeated Weidman.
“I back,” Silva said in a brief recorded statement. “Trust me. I back.”
(Pictured: Chris Weidman)view original article >>
While the full campus isn’t quite open just yet, UFC employees recently made the move into the company’s impressive new headquarters in Las Vegas, and CNN cameras were invited in for a sneak peek of read news >>
When UFC former owners sold the fight promotion in July 2016 for $4.2 billion to WME–IMG, the promotion's longtime president, Dana White, was distraught. read news >>
UFC president Dana White admits that he gives Conor McGregor more leeway than he does other fighters on the fight promotion's roster. read news >>
Hours after the announcement, UFC President Dana White said nothing is official regarding a new women’s 125-pound weight class.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
UFC President Dana White isn't sure if Nate Diaz will ever fight again. "If they want to fight next week or if they never want to fight again, that's up to them," he said when talking about Diaz and read news >>
Despite Anderson Silva's threats, UFC president Dana White declared there would be no interim title fight for The Spider. read news >>
With Anderson Silva recently threatening retirement, UFC president Dana White said that the former champ probably should just go ahead and do it. read news >>
UFC president Dana White said that he's not sure if we'll ever see the Diaz Brothers, Nate and Nick, ever fight again. read news >>
Dana White will host a Summer Kickoff press conference with some of the athletes from UFC 212 through UFC 214. read news >>
UFC president Dana White says that if he could have stayed out of trouble, Jon Jones would be a record-setting champion and probably fighting heavyweights. read news >>