#UFC Fight Night 118 #Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Kristina Williams #Bellator MMA #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Heather Hardy #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Neiman Gracie

Wanderlei Silva stunned the bookmakers in his return to Japan, turning out a vintage knockout over the favored Brian Stann in the main event of UFC on Fuel TV 8.

Prior to the bout, many pundits predicted that “The Axe Murderer” might have been facing his final in-cage appearance. A winner in just three of his previous 10 fights, Silva appeared to be tailor-made to fall at the hands of the hard-punching Stann. Instead, the Brazilian turned back the clock at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, stopping Stann with a second-round explosion of violence.

“I don’t know what happens here in Japan, man. The fans just give me a lot of energy,” Silva told Fox Sports following his victory. “I’m so happy to make all my fans around the world happy. That’s why I fight. I fight for you. I’m here because of you and my God, so thanks for the great support.”

Though Silva would seal the deal in second round, his chances at victory were touch-and-go at best in the opening frame, as both men hit the canvas in a wild first five minutes.

“I got out of the strategy in the first round a little bit, because he’s a tough guy. He was so close to beating me,” Silva said. “After I finished the first round, my coach told me to [throw] the right hand, and it happened.”

Silva’s right clipped Stann perfectly as the American lunged forward, taking away his balance and creating an opening for “The Axe Murderer” to land a glancing left that sent Stann reeling to the canvas. From there, the outcome was elementary, as Silva struck his wounded opponent with four violent right hooks to the head, relieving him of his consciousness and securing Silva his first victory on Japanese soil since July 2006.

“He’s a tough guy; Brian Stann is a great opponent. I’m so happy to fight a guy like him and to just make a fight like that,” Silva said of the hard-fought contest. “I’m there to fight. I’m not there to run. I love to fight with guys like that. Thanks so much to Brian Stann for fighting me.”

Though Silva ruled the Pride Fighting Championships’ 205-pound division for more than five years, the 36-year-old has more recently competed at 185 pounds with the exception of tonight’s light heavyweight showdown with Stann. While Silva looked sharp in his return to his former weight class, it is currently unclear whether the 16-year pro will remain a UFC light heavyweight.

“This was a special fight,” said Silva. “The guys at light heavyweight are so big. I don’t know what is going to happen next.”

Galleries

Wanderlei Silva Fights

• 4 months ago

Comments

UFC Fight Night 117 results: Daichi Abe impresses, hands Hyun Gyu Lim third straight loss

Thanks to a late rally in the third with a big knockdown, Daichi Abe stayed perfect and won his UFC debut against Hyun Gyu Lim.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dachi Abe Survives All-Out War at UFC Japan (Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Dachi Abe's miraculous comeback victory over Hyun Gyu Lim at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday in Japan. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 results: Shinsho Anzai returns from 2-year layoff, outpoints Luke Jumeau

Shinsho Anzai came back after two years away from the sport to take a unanimous decision from Luke Jumeau at UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dachi Abe Survives All-Out War at UFC Japan (Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Daichi Abe's miraculous comeback victory over Hyun Gyu Lim at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday in Japan. read news >>

UFC-Japan opened with 2 guys doing major damage to each other's face

The curtain-jerker at UFC Fight Night 117 turned out to be bad news for faces.Filed under: Blue Corner, News, UFC read news >>

Shinsho Anzai Exposed His Heart at UFC Japan (Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Shinsho Anzai's heart-filled victory over Luke Jumeau at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday in Japan. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 results: Syrui Kondo takes split from Chan-Mi Jeon in slugfest

In a slugfest, Syrui Kondo won her UFC debut with a split decision over Chan-Mi Jeon in Japan.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 results: Keita Nakamura takes split from Alex Morono in bloody fight

Keita Nakamura spilled some blood, as did Alex Morono. But it was Nakamura who took a split decision over the American in Japan.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Those loud noises at UFC-Japan? That was Chan-Mi Jeon screaming at the top of her lungs

There’s a lot to like about Korean strawweight Chan-Mi Jeon.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, UFC read news >>

Syuri Kondo Wins Tough Battle in a Close Call (UFC Japan Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Syuri Kondo's narrow decision victory over Chan-Mi Jeon at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday in Japan. read news >>