#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Nick Diaz #Robbie Lawler

Wanderlei Silva - Pride FCAt 36 years of age, the question of retirement comes at Wanderlei Silva almost daily.

He knows the day that he will have to hang up his gloves for the final time is drawing ever nearer, but fights like the one he had with Brian Stann at UFC on Fuel TV 8 continue to feed the fire that burns inside.

The two went toe-to-toe and fist-for-fist in a brutal 9:08 war, Silva eventually knocking Stann out.

“Brian Stann is a tough opponent. He has a strong punch,” said Silva at the post-fight press conference. “I hit him and he hit me, and I felt out a little bit in that moment, but this is the kind of fight I like to do. He’s a strong guy, a warrior; he came to fight, no going away, no run around. He’s there to do the job.”

“Doing the job” fulfills Silva. He may have earned his moniker of the “Axe Murder” with the way he fights, but the man could hardly be anything further from that outside of the cage.

Silva is an athlete that fights very much for his fans. It’s what sustains his youthful energy for the fight game. It’s what keeps him going, and what may keep him going beyond the time when he really should – like the NFL quarterback chasing one more Super Bowl – call it a day.

Silva has been in many wars over the years, his health taking a beating at times.

The day is coming, but the day is not today.

“I fight one fight at a time right now,” Silva stated. “I feel healthy, but I know sooner or later I’m gonna need to stop the job, but I’m happy for getting this feeling, this energy from my fans, make the show for my fans, make my fans happy.”

Saturday’s fight with Stann was the realization of one of Silva’s dreams, a dream that takes him one step closer to retirement.

He has been fighting professionally since 1996, nearly 17 years, pushing up on two decades. Silva began his career in Brazil and reached its apex fighting for Pride FC in Japan.

Having fought the past several years in the UFC, and mostly in the United States, Silva wanted to fight at least one more time each in Brazil and Japan before his day is done.

He fought Rich Franklin at UFC 147 in Brazil and Brian Stann at UFC on Fuel TV 8, fulfilling his wish.

“I’m so glad the UFC gave me the opportunity for me to fight one last time in Brazil and fighting here,” he said, but left the door open for more. “If UFC gives me the opportunity to come back here, I’m happy to fight in Japan again.

“I have the best moments of my life here and today is one more.”

How many more todays does Silva have? Only Silva will be able to answer that question, and even he can’t answer it just yet.

Galleries

Wanderlei Silva Fights

• 3 months ago

Comments

Kevin Lee: 'His mama's gonna do a little bit more crying than mine'

As he prepares for his main event against Tony Ferguson at UFC 216, Kevin Lee tells the story of his humble beginnings, getting out of Detroit, and providing a good life for his family. UFC 216 airs read news >>

The Colombian Queen Scores Another Viral Head-Kick KO (LFA 23 Results & Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Sabina Mazo just can't stop knocking women out with her infamous head kick. read news >>

Frustrated Benson Henderson after Bellator 183 loss: 'I need to stop having close fights'

Benson Henderson is tired of leaving fights in the hands of the judges. He wants to change that after losing in Bellator 183 main event.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Cornerman Vaults the Cage to Save Unconscious Fighter from the Ref (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

What do you do when the ref doesn't stop the fight when one fighter is unconscious? This guy vaults over the cage and stops the fight himself. read news >>

ONE Championship's November lineup? Open-weight fight, champ-vs.champ, retirement title bout

By all measures, November could be the biggest month for ONE Championship, which boasts a handful of can’t-miss fights.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

If Chuck Liddell ends retirement, he says Chael Sonnen would be easy warmup fight

Chuck Liddell is still retired, but if he does come back, the UFC Hall of Famer likes the idea of fighting Chael Sonnen.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Threats of broken legs, retirement? Justin Gaethje latest to beef with Tony Ferguson

Justin Gaethje is the latest to land on Tony Ferguson’s radar ahead of the latter’s interim UFC lightweight title fight at UFC 216.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC veteran Kyle Noke has 'that fire again,' announces return from retirement

UFC veteran Kyle Noke is the latest to end a short-lived retirement from MMA competition. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Matt Brown Addresses Retirement, Diego Sanchez, and What Comes Next | MMAWeekly.com

Matt Brown returns to his old stomping grounds for the Fight Society podcast to discuss his decision to retire after facing Diego Sanchez in November. read news >>

Michael Bisping to GSP: 'I'm Gonna Really Enjoy Making You Quit' | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping has talked often about making the biggest payday of his career when he faces Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217 but the money he makes won't count for much if he doesn't walk out with the m read news >>