anthony-johnson-13.jpgATLANTIC CITY, N.J. – After a win over heavyweight Andrei Arlovski (19-10) at Saturday’s World Series of Fighting 2 event, Anthony Johnson (15-4) told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he’s now committed to a life at light heavyweight.

A victory over a hard-hitting and bigger opponent at Revel Atlantic City in New Jersey gave Johnson a big boost of confidence, though he now plans to fight guys who are closer to his size.

“I’m just blessed to be able to beat someone like that,” said Johnson, who actually broke Arlovski’s jaw during the NBC Sports Network-televised headliner. “I really challenged myself. I never once thought I’d be fighting Andrei Arlovski.”

But the former welterweight, who’s bounced around weight classes during his current 7-1 run, believes he’s found a home at 205 pounds. He’s also found a home at Jaco Hybrid Training Center, home to the famed “Blackzilians” camp. While the Florida-based team has come under fire following high-profile losses by Rashad Evans, Alistair Overeem and others, Johnson wonders why their success is so easily ignored.

“Every team has losses,” he said after his unanimous-decision win. “Losses don’t define who you are.

“People always want to talk about the losses, not the wins. Everybody talks about Rashad’s loss. Everybody talks about Alistair’s loss. But Vitor Belfort is one of my training partners. He just high-kicked Michael Bisping (for a knockout win). You all talked about that for five minutes. You’re all still talking about the losses we had. What about the wins we had?”

Saturday, in fact, proved a solid night for the Blackzilians. Although Gesias Cavalcante suffered a TKO loss due to a cut, both Johnson and Danillo Villefort were victorious on the WSOF 2 card.

In fact, Johnson said his team is a big reason he was able to defeat Arlovski, a former UFC champion. Arlovski was on a 4-0 run before WSOF 2 and had finished three of his opponents with strikes.

Johnson knew the Belarusian was finding his stride in recent years, so even though he was close to a TKO stoppage in the first round and thought their fight might be over, he knew Arlovski would still be dangerous in the later rounds.

“When the ref stepped in and the crowd was screaming, I thought it was done,” he said of a first-round sequence that saw him drop Arlovski with a quick right hand before the bell cut short his follow-up ground and pound. “That’s when I jumped up and had my hands up, and I was about ready to throw my mouthpiece on the floor and beat on my chest and act like an animal. But they said it wasn’t over.

“I knew he still had it in him. Andrei has them one-hitter quitters, as I call them. He’ll hit one time, and your lights will be out for a long time. Once I clipped him, I’m like a pitbull or any kind of dog that just wants to jump on you once they smell blood or get a taste of it.”

Johnson has one fight left on his WSOF contract but said he plans to stick with the organization. He said he’s “happy” where he’s at. That includes his decision to fight at 205 pounds.

But as for a next opponent? He’ll let WSOF officials decide that.

“I don’t call people out anymore,” he said. “I’m not 21. Calling people out and trying to say this and that gets you nowhere. It might get you a butt-whoopin’ if you call out the wrong person.”

“That’s what I’m hoping for, and that’s what I want,” he said. “I’ve got one more fight left (on my WSOF contract), and I’m not going anywhere.”

For more on WSOF 2, stay tuned to the MMA Events section of the site.

Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson rematch headlines UFC 210 in Buffalo

A light heavyweight title fight will headline UFC 210.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson 2 Announced for UFC 210: Details, Reaction

The UFC announced Wednesday that Daniel Cormier and Anthony Johnson will meet in a rematch of their May 2015 clash at UFC 210 in Buffalo, New York, on April 8. Cormier (18-1) secured a victory via su read news >>

Full media scrum: Andrei Arlovski thinks Ngannou is huge, strong – and maybe a little bit cocky ahead of UFC on FOX 23

DENVER – Former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski is no stranger to facing the world’s biggest, baddest dudes. As he prepares for Francis Ngannou, Arlovski knows what’s on the other side of th read news >>

Andrei Arlovski: I'm Not in a Position to Pick My Opponent (UFC Denver) | MMAWeekly.com

Having lost three fights in a row, Andrei Arlovski knows that he can't be choosy about his opponents or make big, boastful claims. read news >>

Francis Ngannou Embraces Championship Expectations (UFC on FOX 23) | MMAWeekly.com

Heading into battle with Andrei Arlovski, rising heavyweight star Francis Ngannou embraces the pressure of those who think he could be a UFC champion. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Andrei Arlovski wasn't aiming for Francis Ngannou but isn't in business of picking opponents

DENVER – You get the sense UFC heavyweight Andrei Arlovski didn’t exactly want to fight Francis Ngannou. After all, a young, up-and-coming prospect offers little upside for a former champion fighting read news >>

The MMA Road Show with John Morgan No. 96 – Denver: Julianna Pena, Andrei Arlovski, Francis Ngannou, Alex Caceres, Jason

Episode No. 96 of “The MMA Road Show with John Morgan” podcast, featuring Julianna Pena, Andrei Arlovski, Francis Ngannou, Alex Caceres and Jason Knight, is now available for streaming and download.F read news >>

Andrei Arlovski: Dedicated to the Octagon Since UFC 28 (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Andrei Arlovski has long been dedicated to the game of MMA, having first competed in the Octagon at UFC 28 in November of 2000. read news >>

One to Watch: Andrei Arlovski vs. Francis Ngannou | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC The UFC’s first 2017 show to be broadcast on Fox is a big one. Taking place in the Pepsi Center in Denver, Colorado, UFC on Fox: Shevchenko vs. Peña (otherwise known as read news >>

One to Watch: Andrei Arlovski vs. Francis Ngannou | FIGHTLAND