#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #GGG #DWTNCS #Conor McGregor #UFC 215 #Nate Diaz #Michael Bisping

Vladimir Matyushenko at UFC 103Just because UFC light heavyweight Vladdy Matyushenko is 42-years of age, doesn’t mean he’s feeling old as he gets ready for his upcoming fight at UFC on Fox 6.

For many athletes, 40 is the mark that ends a lot of careers in a huge number of sports, but Matyushenko doesn’t think about his age as much as he reacts to how his body is feeling.

Last year his body suffered injuries that made him miss all of 2012, but it had nothing to do with not recovering fast enough or age catching up to him. It was just a stark reminder that training smart as opposed to training hard is the way to go at this stage of the game.

“It’s been getting pretty tough and I have to watch what I do, I can’t just train as hard as I used to, balls off, and just do what I have to do to be smarter and not necessarily harder. Staying away from injuries is the most important thing right now. I’m happy I’m back,” Matyushenko told MMAWeekly.com.

It’s hard to ignore that with more than 30 fights on his resume, a successful wrestling career, and a gym to run in California, Matyushenko doesn’t have much left to prove inside the cage, but he’s still loving life everyday with training and getting ready for fights.

Until that passion is gone, don’t expect Vladdy Matyushenko to go anywhere.

“No, it’s gradually going towards (retirement) maybe but right now MMA is on a total, different level than it was before. So before when I was young and bold and whatever, I didn’t have that experience, I didn’t have those guys around me. Right now it’s a totally different feel, L.A. is totally full of great guys to learn from, and at 42 I’m still learning and that’s interesting to do,” said Matyushenko.

“That’s one of the main things that keeps pushing me forward just learning new things, and just the fun of it. As soon as you lose that it’s over. It’s a pretty hard hobby to have.”

Over his last four fights, Matyushenko has bounced back and forth between wins and losses, and he understands better than most that putting together a big streak in the UFC is difficult with the level of talent competing right now.

Matyushenko is always looking to improve so when he thinks he’s found a weakness, he trains it and trains it some more until he fixes whatever was wrong.

Now as he heads into his next bout at UFC on Fox 6 against former Ultimate Fighter winner Ryan Bader, he’s confident he’s put the right combination together to come away with a victory.

“Sometimes losses are going to happen, and sometimes injuries are going to happen. I have inner goals to achieve, I’ve been working on my striking a lot, because when I lost to (Alexander) Gustafsson last time, and he has a great advantage because of his reach, you could watch the video, I jab him, he jabs me, but those few inches did the job,” Matyushenko stated.

“With Bader, things are pretty even and hopefully it’s going to be a good fight, and I can utilize my skills I’ve been learning.”

Comments

Jon Jones notified of potential doping violation in wake of UFC 214 title win

Jon Jones was notified by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency of a potential failed test, his third overall.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Fails Drug Test Following UFC 214 Win Over Daniel Cormier | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones is in hot water…again. Jones has been notified of a potential doping violation by USADA (United States Anti-Doping Agency) for a drug test that was administered in competition on July 28 fo read news >>

Jon Jones Reportedly Tested Positive for Steroids in UFC 214, Stripped of Title

Jon Jones' reign as the UFC light heavyweight champion appears to be over after less than a month. TMZ Sports reported Tuesday that Jones tested positive for Turinabol and has been stripped of his ti read news >>

Twitter reacts to stunning news of Jon Jones testing positive for steroids in wake of UFC 214

Check out how the MMA community reacted to the stunning news of Jon Jones’ latest positive drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter Reacts to Jon Jones' Positive Steroids Test Before UFC 214 Win

UFC star Jon Jones reportedly tested positive for Turinabol, an anabolic steroid, prior to his UFC 214 win over Daniel Cormier, according to TMZ Sports. Brett Okamoto of ESPN confirmed the news, alth read news >>

Dana White and Jeff Novitzky to Address Jon Jones UFC Anti-Doping Violation at 10:45p ET | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White and Jeff Novitsky, the UFC's vice president of athlete health and performance, are holding a Jon Jones press conference, Tuesday at 10:45p ET. read news >>

Watch Ray Borg Tap Out Chris Kelades (UFC 215 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch flyweight contender Ray Borg defeat Chris Kaledes from their bout in 2015. Borg takes on champion Demetrious Johnson for the flyweight title at UFC 215. read news >>

Jon Jones' Team Releases Statement Following Failed Drug Test from UFC 214 | MMAWeekly.com

Following news that he failed a drug test administered ahead of his fight with Daniel Cormier at UFC 214, Jon Jones and his team released a statement on Tuesday night. UFC officials confirmed that Jo read news >>

Daniel Cormier Responds After Jon Jones Fails Drug Test Following UFC 214 | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier has experienced a roller coaster of emotions over the past few weeks. The former light heavyweight champion suffered only the second loss of his professional fighting career at UFC 214 read news >>

Dana White and Jeff Novitzky: Jon Jones UFC Anti-Doping Violation Scrum (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White and Jeff Novitzky held an impromptu media scrum on Tuesday addressing the breaking news of Jon Jones testing positive for steroids. read news >>