#UFC 216 #Rizin 7 #Conor McGregor #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nick Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nate Diaz #Michael Bisping #Demetrious Johnson

vitor-belfort-20.jpgLuke Rockhold created a bit of a stir when the final Strikeforce middleweight champion said he wanted a “warmup fight” before a potential UFC title fight and mentioned Vitor Belfort as his preferred opponent.

But Belfort, who recently joined MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com) to discuss their upcoming UFC on FX 8 headliner, had a surprising response to the Strikeforce import’s comments.

Did Belfort feel disrespected?

“Not at all,” he said. “I have all the respect for guys like him. He asked, and he received it. … I don’t pick fights. I accept fights. And he deserved it. I like his attitude. I see it as a positive. I don’t see it as personal. This is a job. This is what makes people interested in seeing us fight.”

Belfort (22-10 MMA, 11-6 UFC) and Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) now headline UFC on FX 8, which takes place May 18 at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Santa Catarina, Brazil. The FX-televised fight marks Belfort’s third in Brazil since early 2012 and could set up a title shot for the winner.

While the middleweight division awaits the outcome of July’s UFC 162 headliner between champion Anderson Silva and challenger Chris Weidman, Belfort said he’s not personally dwelling on anything past the Rockhold fight.

“Tomorrow will take care of itself,” he said. “The key is to take care of today.”

That’s included a training camp with experts from all disciplines, including kickboxer Tyrone Spong and world-class wrestlers, and all weight classes. While once a mere boxer with exceptional raw power, Belfort has rounded out his game during a recent career resurgence. After all, after moving up a weight class, he nearly tapped out light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones with an armbar back in September.

Against Rockhold, who’s won nine straight fights, Belfort believes his new skills will be put to the test. And he likes his chances of picking up a ninth win in his past 11 fights.

“It’s a great fight with a great fighter, very well-rounded, great camp and has a lot of skills,” Belfort said. “It’s a good fit for me. I’m excited. It’s a good challenge for me. I’ve prepared myself, and now it’s getting closer.

“I’m not just getting prepared for Luke. I’m getting prepared to be the best I can be. That’s how I can give back to the fans, my family and to God for the gifts He gave me.”

The 36-year-old Brazilian said he’s now in the peak shape of his career. However, his resurgence has drawn a fair number of critics, most notably due to his long-suspected and recently confirmed use of testosterone-replacement therapy.

Belfort, though, said he simply avoids the negativity.

“The haters are always going to be around,” he said. “The key is to just don’t listen to it, to what people think, because it doesn’t change anything. You just have to stick to it. No sacrifice, no glory.”

He said that mentality and positivity – as well as his faith – will get him where he wants to be and satisfy the people who mean the most to him.

“The blood of Jesus washed me, cleansed me, healed me,” he said. “It gave me life. I have faith. The more people doubt me, the more the Spirit grows in me. It’s just the mindset that I have. I’m just focused.

“I’m not into impressing anybody. I don’t care about people’s opinions. To me it doesn’t change anything. What people think about me doesn’t make me who I am. What makes me who I am are the things I do and what I believe. The people who mean the most to me are already by my side.”

For the latest on UFC on FX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Galleries

Vitor Belfort Fights

• a year ago

Luke Rockhold Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Rankings: Rockhold, Hall, Usman & Perry Rise

In this week's official UFC rankings release, Luke Rockhold and Uriah Hall are making moves in the middleweight division. Plus, Kamaru Usman and Mike Perry are on the rise at welterweight. read news >>

Dana White Opens UFC 216 With a Message of Love and Defiance | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White had a strong message in response to the Las Vegas shooting to open UFC 216 on Saturday night. read news >>

UFC Middleweight Luke Rockhold Is the Heel Nobody Asked for

Luke Rockhold won a fight this past weekend. It was the first time he'd done that since late 2015, when he won the UFC middleweight title, and his first appearance since mid-2016, when he lost that s read news >>

Tony Ferguson responds to Conor McGregor with perfect(ly odd) 'Grand Theft Auto' video on Twitter

Tony Ferguson’s video in response to UFC champion Conor McGregor might just blow your mind.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Luke Rockhold Trashes Michael Bisping's Title Reign as 'the Worst in UFC History' | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold has never been a fan of Michael Bisping but it seems he likes him even less a year and a half into his middleweight title reign in the UFC. Of course, Rockhold has a reason to hold a gr read news >>

Aljamain Sterling lures Jimmie Rivera into Twitter beef – gets vengeful response

Aljamain Sterling is using his Twitter savvy to angle for a fight with fellow bantamweight contender Jimmie Rivera. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Episode No. 4 recap: 'The Ultimate Fighter 26: A New World Champion'

MMAjunkie recaps episode No. 4 of “The Ultimate Fighter 26,” which crowns the inaugural UFC women’s flyweight champion.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch the First-Round Finish That Earned Geoff Neal A UFC Contract | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Geoff Neal and his powerful left hand in the fight that earned him a UFC contract. read news >>

Michael Bisping Fires Back at 'Stupid' Luke Rockhold After Recent Comments | MMAWeekly.com

The war of words between Michael Bisping and Luke Rockhold rages on. On Wednesday night, Rockhold claimed that Bisping's championship reign was "the worst in UFC history" while mocking the fact that read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 weigh-in results and live video stream (6 a.m. ET)

Check out the results and live video stream for the UFC Fight Night 117 early and official weigh-ins.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>