cezar-ferreira-2.jpgAfter winning the inaugural season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil” in 2012, Cezar Ferreira now counts blue-chip companies such as Gillette and Head & Shoulders among his sponsors. His first real backer, though, may surprise you.

Like many Brazilians, Ferreira (5-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC), who meets Thiago “Marreta” Santos (8-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday’s UFC 163 pay-per-view main card at Rio de Janeiro’s HSBC Arena, found his way to MMA through capoeira, a martial-arts hybrid that combines dance and acrobatics with music. He began his training when he was just 6 years old.

As a teen, Ferreira would often travel throughout the country and search out the best training possible, even though he didn’t have much money. He ultimately ended up at an academy in Belo Horizonte, a city where UFC fighter Vitor Belfort also trained.

It was at that academy, run by Master Mao Branca, where Ferreira first got his nickname, “Mutante” (Mutant). Because the facility was open to outsiders, an unknown German unknowingly gave Ferreira a nickname that’s stuck to this day.

“Master Mao Branca’s academy is called Capoeira Gerais,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “It’s one of the world’s best capoeira groups. When I was training there, tourists from other countries would always come to see us. Around that time, I was teaching a group of Germans. They saw a couple of my photos, one where I was thin and another where I was stronger. So they jokingly decided I was a mutant.

“After that, everyone called me ‘Mutante.’”

Soon after, Ferreira eventually crossed paths with Belfort and joined his academy.

“I met him through a friend,” Ferreira said. “We started training together at his academy. He gave me full access to his academy and to his trainers. He funded my membership. He helped me in various ways. This was nine years ago. We’ve been together ever since.”

These days, Ferreira and Belfort are now teammates at the Florida-based Blackzilians camp. Ferreira’s been a member for the past three months, so nearly his entire fight camp has taken place there.

In fact, while in Florida, he does nothing else outside of family commitments with his wife and 5-year-old daughter.

“I only train,” he said. “That’s my only focus.”

The array of top-level training partners, including Belfort and Anthony Johnson, gives Ferreira plenty of confidence heading into Saturday’s bout. In fact, Santos replaced original opponent Clint Hester just two weeks ago, but Ferreira said he’s not bothered at all by the late change.

That, at least partially, can be credited to his time on “TUF,” where Ferreira fought a variety of opponents on short notice. That also means he doesn’t have a problem fighting a fellow Brazilian in front of Brazilian fans.

“Since my camp is done, it doesn’t matter who I face,” he said. “Since I came through ‘TUF,’ I feel I’m well equipped for this. When I was in ‘TUF,’ I didn’t know my opponent one day before my first fight. And once in the house, my opponents were only announced three days before our fight. So if that happens to me going forward, it won’t bother me or change anything. I’m ready anytime.”

So come Saturday, it’s business as usual.

“It’s going to be a first-round knockout,” he said. “And if he wants, we can have a beer later.”

For more on UFC 163, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

UFC Fight Night 105's Cezar Ferreira: 'I can break' Elias Theodorou and become elite

Cezar Ferreira, currently on a three-fight winning streak, is making the trek to Canada looking to break into an echelon of success he’s yet to experience in the 185-pound division.Filed under: News, read news >>

New UFC Champ Germaine de Randamie Owes Holly Holm a Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

Inaugural UFC women's featherweight champion Germaine de Randamie said she owes Holly Holm a rematch following UFC 208's controversial ending. read news >>

Elias Theodorou: Cezar Ferreira's win streak against 'tomato cans on the ground'

• a day ago

HALIFAX – There are some things UFC middleweight Elias Theodorou would like to point out about his next opponent, Cezar Ferreira.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 results: Opportunistic Elias Theodorou defeats Cezar Ferreira by decision

• 5 hours ago

HALIFAX – Elias Theodorou had to fight out of his share of bad positions against Cezar Ferreira, but fortunately for Theodorous he had a knack for turning his opponent’s attacks into opportunities fo read news >>

UFC 208 Holm vs. de Randamie Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

And...first! Germaine de Randamie is the new, and inaugural, UFC women's featherweight champion. She got the unanimous decision to get her hand raised against former UFC bantamweight champion Holly H read news >>

Abel Trujillo full media scrum ahead of UFC Fight Night 104

HOUSTON – Lightweight Abel Trujillo is on a nice winning streak but continues to fly under the radar. He’s hoping to change that.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Chan Sung Jung and UFC Fight Night 104's other winning fighters?

UFC Fight Night 104’s main card produced three finishes out of six fights, but no victory was more impressive than Chan Sung Jung’s in the headliner of Saturday’s event at Toyota Center in Houston. L read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

Gegard Mousasi says champ Michael Bisping has 'a good chance of winning' against Yoel Romero

While UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is currently recovering from surgery, his fellow 185-pounders are busy sorting out the title picture for 2017. Up first, it seems, will be powerful Cub read news >>

UFC 208 early weigh-in results: Inaugural title fight set with Holm, de Randamie under championship weight

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – MMAjunkie was on scene and reporting live from today’s early and official UFC 208 fighter weigh-ins, where the promotion’s inaugural women’s featherweight title fight was made offici read news >>