MENU
#Conor McGregor #UFC 211 #Nate Diaz #Jewels #Bellator 179 #Rory MacDonald #Jewels 16 #Daniel Cormier #UFC 202 #Jon Jones #Dhiego Lima #Hayder Hassan #Paul Daley #Joanna Jedrzejczyk


Vitor Belfort at UFC 126Vitor Belfort began campaigning for a shot at the winner of the UFC 162 main event championship battle between Anderson Silva and Chris Weidman well before Weidman pulled off the upset on July 6 in Las Vegas.

He’s been tweeting. He’s been texting UFC president Dana White. He’s been pleading his case to anyone and everyone that would listen.

And after Weidman won, he stepped up his lobbying efforts.

[email protected] Congratulations, you are the new champion,” he tweeted immediately after the fight. “Next challenger is me!”

Belfort lost to Anderson Silva at UFC 126 in August of 2011, but has been stellar ever since, save for an unexpected shot at UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, whom he nearly upset via armbar at UFC 152.

Outside of the losses to Silva and Jones, Belfort hasn’t lost to another fighter since Dan Henderson in 2006. In his two fights since losing to Jones, he knocked out Michael Bisping and outgoing Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold, two of the top middleweight contenders.

White, however, on Saturday announced that Silva and Weidman had signed bout agreements to meet in a rematch at UFC 168 on Dec. 28 in Las Vegas.

Even before that, the company president was steadfast that Belfort was going to have to wait for another shot at the belt.

“Anderson Silva has gone undefeated since 2006. He’s beat everybody and held the title. He deserved the rematch before he even fought (Weidman),” explained White following the UFC 162 post-fight press conference.

“Vitor is just gonna have to wait. He’s not getting the rematch,” he continued.

“He can text, he can tweet, he can write (expletive) letters, he can call his congressman. He can do whatever he wants to do; he’s gonna have to wait. Anderson Silva is getting the rematch.”

And so it came to fruition on Saturday when White announced the rematch, and Anderson Silva put out a message of his own confirming the fight, saying, “I back, trust me, I back.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Dana White Says Anderson Silva Should Retire If He's Waiting for Title Shot

  • 18 days ago
  • 30 views

Anderson Silva has threatened to retire if he isn't granted an interim title fight against Yoel Romero on June 3, but UFC president Dana White doesn't sound ready to give in to the Brazilian's demand read news >>

Dana White calls Anderson Silva's bluff: 'If you're considering retirement, you should probably do it'

  • 18 days ago
  • 264 views

Earlier this week, former pound-for-pound king and ex-middleweight champion Anderson Silva threatened to call it quits on the sport if he doesn’t get an interim title fight for his next bout. Now the read news >>

Despite Anderson Silva's Threats, Dana White Says UFC Title Fight Won't Happen | MMAWeekly.com

  • 18 days ago
  • 8 views

Despite Anderson Silva's threats, UFC president Dana White declared there would be no interim title fight for The Spider. read news >>

Dana White: Anderson Silva Should Probably Just Retire | MMAWeekly.com

  • 18 days ago
  • 12 views

With Anderson Silva recently threatening retirement, UFC president Dana White said that the former champ probably should just go ahead and do it. read news >>

Anderson Silva goes off on 'bull(expletive)' UFC situation, 'The Almighty' Dana White in tirade

  • 14 days ago
  • 6 views

After declaring himself out of UFC 212, former middleweight champion Anderson Silva took to Instagram live to rant about “Almighty” UFC President Dana White and the “lockout” on the 185-pound divisio read news >>

Anderson Silva Blasts 'The Almighty' Dana White | MMAWeekly.com

  • 14 days ago
  • 12 views

Anderson Silva opened up recently, ripping into "The Almighty" Dana White for his treatment of fighters. read news >>

Anderson Silva Slams 'Almighty' Dana White, Says He 'Shot Himself in the Foot'

  • 14 days ago
  • 6 views

UFC legend Anderson Silva has criticized the promotion's "almighty" president, Dana White, after he was removed from the UFC 212 card following opponent Kelvin Gastelum's withdrawal. The Spider said read news >>

Dana White plans to meet with disgruntled Anderson Silva: 'I know he's not happy with me'

  • 13 days ago
  • 255 views

Following the official announcement Anderson Silva will not fight at June’s UFC 212 event in Rio de Janeiro, it appears the next move for the former longtime UFC middleweight champion will come in th read news >>

Dana White on What's Next for Georges St-Pierre: Conor McGregor? Anderson Silva? 170? | MMAWeekly.com

  • 7 days ago
  • 59 views

Now that Dana White has pulled Georges St-Pierre from his return bout opposite Michael Bisping, what's next for the former welterweight kingpin? read news >>

Marc Stevens Titan FC 44 Game Plan: 'Put Robert Turnquest Away' | MMAWeekly.com

  • 6 days ago
  • 15 views

Marc Stevens (21-10) will seek to keep on the winning track in his first bout of 2017 against Robert Turnquest (6-3) in a 170-pound bout at Titan FC 44. read news >>