#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #Michael Bisping

vitor-belfort-25.jpgJARAGUA DO SUL, Brazil – If the 36-year-old Vitor Belfort is indeed the “young dinosaur,” 28-year-old former Strikeforce champ Luke Rockhold may very well be a metaphorical “young lion.” As Belfort sees it, that’s a complete mismatch.

“Imagine if the T-Rex was in the jungle,” Belfort told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “Do you think a lion could stand with a T-Rex? Maybe [Rockhold] doesn’t know history.”

Belfort (22-10 MMA, 11-6 UFC) and Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet in the headlining bout of Saturday’s UFC on FX 8 event, which takes place at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil. The night’s main card, including the Belfort vs. Rockhold main event, airs on FX.

During a Thursday pre-fight media event, Belfort – whose 16-year history with the UFC has led him to label himself as a “young dinosaur” – revealed he even identifies himself as a certain species of ancient carnivore.

“I’m really happy to be the only T-Rex in this jungle,” Belfort said.

He’ll need to be at his best, of course, as Rockhold does present legitimate skills in the cage. A proven submission expert with the cardio necessary to last a full five rounds if needed, Rockhold also boasts a reach advantage on the feet. But Belfort has long been considered on of the best fighters in the world and said his belief in himself and God means he’s not concerned with anything Rockhold presents.

“Muhammed Ali said if you’re not confident, just pretend you’re confident,” Belfort said. “Confidence, I believe, comes from inside. It’s all about what I have and what I’ve accomplished.

“I have the joy of the Lord, man. No man can stand before me all the days of my life. To the glory of God.”

With a win, Belfort would improve to 4-1 in his past five fights, and his lone losses in the past seven years of UFC work have been in failed bids to claim UFC titles in the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions. He’s admitted he’d like one more shot at the belt, but for now Belfort said he’s not looking past Rockhold.

“Maybe you misunderstand,” Belfort said when asked if he was hoping to earn a title shot. “What I want is a win. A win takes care of itself. What I want is to win. That’s what I want.”

Belfort has been a controversial figure in recent months with critics targeting his approved use of testosterone replacement therapy as a potential problem with the sport of MMA. But the dinosaur isn’t interested in political debates.

He realizes his time in the sport – like the T-Rex’s time on Earth – will eventually run out. So with what’s left, Belfort intends to make the most of his time.

“I’m focused on winning,” Belfort said. “I’m focused on today, so I’m going to cut weight. It’s a special moment. It’s a cleanse, and it’s fun. I just enjoy it. I don’t have a lot of years. I have to enjoy every moment. I will miss these years with my friends, with my trainers. I’m going to be around, for sure, but I just have to enjoy it. That’s how I love life.

“Today could be your last day. What can you do if you knew today was going to be your last day? You would change so much. If you have to change so much, that means you’re living a wrong life. If you could just enjoy it and be happy, that means you’re living the right life.”

For the latest on UFC on FX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Vitor Belfort Fights

• a year ago

Luke Rockhold Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Today in MMA History: Cain Velasquez dethrones Brock Lesnar, who faces the beginning of the end

Neither Cain Velasquez nor Brock Lesnar could have known what a turning point the UFC 121 title fight would be in both of their lives.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Derek Brunson believes Luke Rockhold puts him 1 fight from title shot

Credit UFC light heavyweight champion and commentator Daniel Cormier for bringing middleweight Derek Brunson out of his shell.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Why Did Derek Brunson Call Out Luke Rockhold? | MMAWeekly.com

Derek Brunson doubled down on his Luke Rockhold callout on Saturday night. read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir's attempt to troll UFC champ Daniel Cormier kind of backfired

Volkan Oezdemir tried to use Luke Rockhold to troll UFC champ Daniel Cormier, but it backfired.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk has no doubt she'll beat Ronda Rousey's UFC title-defense record

UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk is promising history in her title fight with Rose Namajunas at UFC 217.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

History Will Remember Michael Bisping Kindly, Even If UFC Fans Don't

Michael Bisping isn’t here to make friends. Aside from pure longevity, perhaps the current middleweight champion’s biggest strength throughout his 11-year, 26-fight career in the Octagon has been an read news >>

'Silly arse kid' Luke Rockhold and 'not worth my time' Derek Brunson chirp on Twitter

So much for Derek Brunson’s attempt to book a fight with a former UFC middleweight champion.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk wants Ronda Rousey's record, but instead will history repeat itself at UFC 217?

Joanna Jedrzejczyk has a huge title defense in front of her at UFC 217, but could she be overlooking Rose Namajunas?Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Namajunas Stuns Jedrzejczyk, Becomes New World Champ

History was up for grabs for Joanna Jedrzejczyk at Madison Square Garden Saturday night, but despite being favored to defeat Rose Namajunas at UFC 217, it was “Thug Rose” who made history of her own, read news >>

UFC 217 results: Georges St-Pierre makes history, chokes out Michael Bisping to win 185 title

After four years away, Georges St-Pierre made UFC history on Saturday night. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>