vitor-belfort-25.jpgJARAGUA DO SUL, Brazil – If the 36-year-old Vitor Belfort is indeed the “young dinosaur,” 28-year-old former Strikeforce champ Luke Rockhold may very well be a metaphorical “young lion.” As Belfort sees it, that’s a complete mismatch.

“Imagine if the T-Rex was in the jungle,” Belfort told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “Do you think a lion could stand with a T-Rex? Maybe [Rockhold] doesn’t know history.”

Belfort (22-10 MMA, 11-6 UFC) and Rockhold (10-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet in the headlining bout of Saturday’s UFC on FX 8 event, which takes place at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil. The night’s main card, including the Belfort vs. Rockhold main event, airs on FX.

During a Thursday pre-fight media event, Belfort – whose 16-year history with the UFC has led him to label himself as a “young dinosaur” – revealed he even identifies himself as a certain species of ancient carnivore.

“I’m really happy to be the only T-Rex in this jungle,” Belfort said.

He’ll need to be at his best, of course, as Rockhold does present legitimate skills in the cage. A proven submission expert with the cardio necessary to last a full five rounds if needed, Rockhold also boasts a reach advantage on the feet. But Belfort has long been considered on of the best fighters in the world and said his belief in himself and God means he’s not concerned with anything Rockhold presents.

“Muhammed Ali said if you’re not confident, just pretend you’re confident,” Belfort said. “Confidence, I believe, comes from inside. It’s all about what I have and what I’ve accomplished.

“I have the joy of the Lord, man. No man can stand before me all the days of my life. To the glory of God.”

With a win, Belfort would improve to 4-1 in his past five fights, and his lone losses in the past seven years of UFC work have been in failed bids to claim UFC titles in the middleweight and light heavyweight divisions. He’s admitted he’d like one more shot at the belt, but for now Belfort said he’s not looking past Rockhold.

“Maybe you misunderstand,” Belfort said when asked if he was hoping to earn a title shot. “What I want is a win. A win takes care of itself. What I want is to win. That’s what I want.”

Belfort has been a controversial figure in recent months with critics targeting his approved use of testosterone replacement therapy as a potential problem with the sport of MMA. But the dinosaur isn’t interested in political debates.

He realizes his time in the sport – like the T-Rex’s time on Earth – will eventually run out. So with what’s left, Belfort intends to make the most of his time.

“I’m focused on winning,” Belfort said. “I’m focused on today, so I’m going to cut weight. It’s a special moment. It’s a cleanse, and it’s fun. I just enjoy it. I don’t have a lot of years. I have to enjoy every moment. I will miss these years with my friends, with my trainers. I’m going to be around, for sure, but I just have to enjoy it. That’s how I love life.

“Today could be your last day. What can you do if you knew today was going to be your last day? You would change so much. If you have to change so much, that means you’re living a wrong life. If you could just enjoy it and be happy, that means you’re living the right life.”

For the latest on UFC on FX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Bellator 170 Results: The Real Winners and Losers from Sonnen vs. Ortiz Card

Was this the biggest card in Bellator history? If it wasn't, it was pretty close. In the main event, you had two very famous fighters in former UFC contender Chael Sonnen, who came out of retirement read news >>

Tito Ortiz's Final Fight was Third Most-Watched Event in Bellator History | MMAWeekly.com

Tito Ortiz's final fight accounted for the third-most watched event in Bellator history. read news >>

Korean Zombie Pulls Off First Twister in UFC History (UFC Houston Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the "Korean Zombie," Chang Sung Jung, submit Leonard Garcia at UFC Fight Night Seattle in 2011 with the first ever Twister in UFC history. read news >>

UFC 208 pre-fight facts: Holly Holm chases championship history in Brooklyn

The birth of the UFC’s 11th weight class begins Saturday at UFC 208, which will crown the organization’s inaugural women’s featherweight champion. Check out 65 pre-fight facts for UFC 208 inside.File read news >>

His place in history secure, Anderson Silva aims to entertain at UFC 208

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – It’s a similar position to that which he faced seven months ago, coming in on short notice to help save a show. No problem, says Anderson Silva. Whatever it takes to help keep fans h read news >>

Top MMA Prospect Aaron Pico Targets Pro Debut in July, Wants James Gallagher

Aaron Pico, probably the most hyped prospect in MMA's young history, is almost fully rehabbed from a serious knee injury and expects to debut by July for the Bellator promotion. "I need to get with m read news >>

Jacare Souza Believes Luke Rockhold is Avoiding Him, Remains Focused on the Belt (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jacare Souza believes Luke Rockhold is avoiding him and knows he has a tough fight with Tim Boetsch ahead, but he remains focused on a UFC title shot. read news >>

Video: Anderson Silva full media scrum ahead of UFC 208

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Anderson Silva is one of the greatest fighters in UFC history, but his competition isn’t getting any easier as he nears the end of a legendary career.Filed under: Featured Videos, Ne read news >>

Sorry Snowflakes, Fighting Is Political | FIGHTLAND

Photo by The Courier-Journal-USA TODAY Sports The second Brazilian jiu jitsu lesson that I ever took was with a highly successful female black belt from Rio. Most of us in the small women's-only clas read news >>

Holly Holm vs. Germaine de Randamie: Keys to Victory for Fighters at UFC 208

History is in the making Saturday night as the UFC makes its way to the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York, for the very first time for UFC 208. The main event, featuring former bantamweight champ read news >>