#UFC on Fox 29 #Dustin Poirier #Justin Gaethje #Conor McGregor #Daniel Cormier #Alexander Gustafsson #Jon Jones #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Chael Sonnen #Nate Diaz #UFC New York #UFC 217 #Stipe Miocic #Edson Barboza #Anthony Ferguson

Vitor Belfort Chose to Fight Lyoto Machida in Retirement Fight in Order to Send a Message | MMAWeekly.com

Vitor Belfort is entering the final fight, not only of his UFC contract, but of his fighting career. He wanted it to be something special, and he wanted it to send a message to athletes, fans, and the sport itself.

Belfort will meet Lyoto Machida at UFC 224 on May 12 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

There are numerous interesting factors in Belfort facing Machida for his final fight. They are both Brazilians, they are both former UFC champions, and they are friends… not your usual UFC match-up.

But that’s exactly why Belfort wanted to fight Machida, his friend. He wants to send a message that mixed martial arts is in fact a sport, not an arena where morals have to be thrown out the window to be considered a legend.

Vitor BelfortThough the UFC has yet to announce the match-up, Belfort had a lot to say about his pending fight with Machida, so he took to Instagram to send his message.

“I’m over 20 years being relevant in this sport. I broke a lot barriers and paved the way for a generation after me. I am one of the pioneers of the sport and I’m proud of it.

“I could not walk into the octagon for the last time without sending a relevant message to the: athletes, fans and to the sport itself.

“That is the reason why I chose to fight a friend of mine. An athlete that I have a lot respect. A good person a family man. I’m against the so famous ‘trash talk.’ MMA is a sport!

“A sport that myself and a lot of family men work really hard to support our families. Lyoto and I have known each other for many years, I know his family and we have trained together. I wanted this fight to take place in Brazil because that is where everything started and now it’s time for us to send another message to the world.

“And the message is: RESPECT!

“May 12th, Lyoto Machida and I will step into the octagon as professionals and we still be friends. Always respecting each other and the way we will do that is giving our best in the octagon.

“I want people to understand that you don’t have to be a bully to be a fighter, you have to be a real man. And that is exactly what the world is in need, real man willing to pay the price to make a difference.”

I’m over 20 years being relevant in this sport. I broke a lot barriers and paved the way for a generation after me. I am one of the pioneers of the sport and I’m proud it it. I could not walk into the octagon for the last time without sending a relevant message to the: athletes, fans and to the sport itself. That is the reason why I chose to fight a friend of mine. An athlete that I have a lot respect. A good person a family man. I’m against the so famous “trash talk”. MMA is a sport! A sport that myself and a lot of family men work really hard to support our families. Lyoto and I have known each other for many years, I know his family and we have trained together. I wanted this fight to take place in Brazil because that is where everything started and now it’s time for us to send another message to the world. And the message is: RESPECT! May 12th @lyotomachidafw and I will step into the octagon as professionals and we still be friends. Always respecting each other and the way we will do that is giving our best in the octagon. I want people to understand that you don’t have to be a bully to be a fighter, you have to be a real man. And that is exactly what the world is in need, real man willing to pay the price to make a difference.

A post shared by Vitor "The Phenom" Belfort (@vitorbelfort) on

Galleries

Lyoto Machida Fights

• a year ago

Vitor Belfort Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Lyoto Machida Honored To Be Vitor Belfort's Last Opponent | MMAWeekly.com

Former light heavyweight champion Vitor Belfort was set to fight for the last time on January 18 against Uriah Hall at UFC Fight Night 124 but Hall was forced out of the bout they day before the even read news >>

LFA 38 Features Heavyweight Title Fight in Minnesota | MMAWeekly.com

Legacy Fighting Alliance returns to Minnesota for LFA 38, where the promotion's heavyweight championship will be on the line. read news >>

Michael Bisping 'Definitely Interested' In Retirement Fight at UFC Event in Liverpool | MMAWeekly.com

If the UFC needs to add another marquee fight to the upcoming card in Liverpool, England, Michael Bisping is ready and willing to step up to the challenge. The former UFC middleweight champion has go read news >>

Conor McGregor Issues Arnold Schwarzenegger Well Wishes After Heart Surgery | MMAWeekly.com

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor issued a heartfelt message to friend and inspiration Arnold Schwarzenegger after the former bodybuilder-turned-actor-turned-governor underwent successful heart read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos vs. Colby Covington for Interim Title Expected at UFC 224 in Brazil | MMAWeekly.com

A blockbuster co-main event is nearing completion for UFC 224 as Rafael dos Anjos has agreed to meet Colby Covington with an interim welterweight title up for grabs on May 12 in Brazil. Sources close read news >>

Bellator's Ana Julaton announces abrupt retirement from MMA, boxing

If you were wondering when we’ll see the second meeting between Ana Julaton and Heather Hardy, don’t hold your breath. read news >>

Felice Herrig Believes a Win over Karolina Kowalkiewicz Should Earn Her a Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Felice Herrig hopes to extend her division best win streak at UFC 223 while also hoping that a win over Karolina Kowalkiewicz will finally put her in line to fight for a title read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir Faces Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua at UFC Fight Night in Chile | MMAWeekly.com

A light heavyweight showdown is headed to Chile as former title contender Volkan Oezdemir is scheduled to meet former champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua on May 19. UFC officials announced the matchup on read news >>

Bellator Champ Brent Primus Apologizes for Bailing on Michael Chandler Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator lightweight champion Brent Primus on Wednesday issued an apology for having to withdraw from the Bellator 197 headliner. read news >>

UFC Fighter Augusto Mendes Proclaims His Innocence of Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

Bantamweight competitor Augusto Mendes was pulled from his upcoming bout at UFC Fight Night in Atlantic City on Wednesday after an out-of-competition drug test was flagged by USADA, but he insists he read news >>

Elias Theodorou Explains Why He Wanted to Become a Ring Card Boy At Invicta FC 28 | MMAWeekly.com

Elias Theodorou will put down the gloves and pick up the ring cards as he parades around the cage at Invicta FC 28 as the first ever ring card boy read news >>

UFC 223: Ferguson vs. Khabib Live Results and Fight Stats | MMAWeekly.com

Headlined by a two title fights, UFC 223: Ferguson vs. Khabib live results kick off at 6:15 p.m. ET / 3:15 p.m. PT on Saturday, April 7, Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. read news >>

Injury Derails Bellator 197 Title Fight, but Michael Chandler to Remain in New Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

The original Bellator 197 main event was slated to feature lightweight champion Brent Primus putting his title on the line against the man he took it from, Michael Chandler. That bout has been cancel read news >>

A rematch with Vitor Belfort? Michael Bisping 'wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire'

It’s not exactly new information that Michael Bisping isn’t a fan of Vitor Belfort, but “The Count” has no problem hammering home the point. read news >>

Ahead of His Next Title Defense, Watch Bibiano Fernandes' Epic Battle with Reece Mclaren (Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Bibiano Fernandes is set to put his ONE bantamweight belt on the line against dual-division champion Martin Nguyen on Saturday at ONE: Iron Will in Bangkok. But first, watch his epic battle with toug read news >>

'They want to retire me,' but former UFC champion Lyoto Machida still eyes classic fights

Lyoto Machida is happy with UFC 224’s “classic” clash with fellow Brazilian vet Vitor Belfort but hasn’t forgotten about Michael Bisping. read news >>

Search for: