#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

Javier Vazquez (above) will face Joe Stevenson at UFC Live 4. | Photo: Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Javier Vazquez and Joe Stevenson have known each other a long time.

Both are veterans of the Southern California MMA circuit. Both were competing in King of the Cage earlier in the decade.

Now they’re finally scheduled to fight June 26 in Pittsburgh at UFC Live 4.

“Joe and I are friends,” Vazquez said recently on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “Plus he was fighting up a weight. I wasn’t really concerned about him dropping down, but now that he did -- a lot of these lightweights think that the grass is greener on the other side at featherweight. I think some of them are going to find out that we’re just as tough as the guys at 155. We just happen to weigh a little bit less.”

A winner of the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Stevenson eventually earned a lightweight title shot but lost to B.J. Penn. He is moving to 145 pounds after losing three straight at 155. Vazquez has followed his career.

“I’ve watched Joe fight for years and I haven’t seen him evolve a whole lot,” Vazquez said. “I think he’s a good fighter. I think he’s a great guy, but let’s be honest. He hasn’t really evolved that much in the three years he’s been in the UFC. He’s the same fighter. Sometimes he comes in there in a little bit better shape than others. That’s about it.”

Stevenson’s submission game is formidable, though. Vazquez acknowledged that he will have to be cautious of his opponent’s ability to finish.

“There’s no question I respect his submission skills,” Vazquez said. “I think he’s got good leg locks. I think he’s got very good elbows and I think he’s got good ground-and-pound. I think he’s a good fighter and stylistically, he’s a very tough fight for me, but I think I’m a little bit better in every aspect of the game.”

However, Stevenson is training with a camp that knows Vazquez’s game well. In fact, he’s been training with Millennia, Vazquez’s former gym.

“I can’t control what they do,” Vazquez said. “As far as bad blood, it doesn’t surprise me. If I were him, I’d probably go there too. They were my teammates for 12 years. That’s probably his best bet. The only problem is, I don’t think they have anybody there that can beat me. So I don’t think him being there is going to do him any good.”

Vazquez also believes he knows his former camp as well as they know him.

“I know exactly what they’re telling him,” he said. “I know exactly what he’s working on. … From the time I left that gym, I’m a much better fighter. I’m a much more well-rounded mixed martial artist, and my conditioning is much better. Any game plan that they can come up with, I’m going to nullify it.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:00:03).

Comments

UFC Fight Night 119's Niko Price might be underdog on paper, but truth will come out in cage

UFC Fight Night 119’s Niko Price doesn’t care about his underdog status, because the truth will out in the cage. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Joseph Duffy: McGregor vs. Ferguson the right match, but not because it's owed to division

Joseph Duffy doesn’t view it as Conor McGregor’s responsibility to unify the UFC lightweight title with Tony Ferguson next.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demian Maia says Colby Covington just promoting with antics

Demian Maia doesn’t take Colby Covington’s trash talk personally. Covington, he said, just does it to promote fights.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ahead of UFC 217, James Vick has some serious questions about how the rankings work

James Vick doesn’t get how he can be 7-1 in the UFC’s lightweight division and still find himself outside the top 15 in the rankings.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Aiemann Zahabi has some questions for Sean Shelby after UFC 217

Aiemann Zahabi has waited eight months for his second UFC fight. After UFC 217, he doesn’t expect to wait that long again.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Nerves not a factor for Duffy on bright stage of MSG

Like his future opponent James Vick, Ireland’s Joe Duffy doesn’t get rattled by much, if anything. So even though he’s fighting in Madison Square Garden on Saturday, he’s approaching it as just anoth read news >>

Listen to UFC 217's Jorge Masvidal explain why fighting at MSG means so much

For Jorge Masvidal, it simply doesn’t get better than fighting at Madison Square Garden because of the rich history.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, UFC, Videos read news >>

Abel Trujillo on 'gimme fight' vs. John Makdessi at UFC on FOX 26: 'It's going to be a fatality'

Abel Trujillo doesn’t think John Makdessi will get past the first round of their lightweight meeting at UFC on FOX 26.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC-Norfolk winner Sean Strickland doesn't feel bad after draw flipped in his favor

Sean Strickland doesn’t feel bad for Court McGee after the decision was overturned in their bout at UFC Fight Night 120.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC light heavyweight contender Volkan Oezdemir arrested on battery charge in Florida

UFC light heavyweight contender Volkan Oezdemir may have a hurdle to cross that doesn’t deal with getting a title shot.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>