#Bellator 191 #UFC 218 #Francis Ngannou #Conor McGregor #Alistair Overeem #UFC 217 #Michael McDonald #Peter Ligier #Robbie Lawler #Michael Bisping #James Thompson

From the second she lost to UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes at UFC 215, Valentina Shevchenko was asking for a rematch.

Shevchenko (14-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC) blasted the judges who handed her a split-decision loss and even contemplated filing an appeal in lieu of a third fight with the Brazilian.

But after some time to simmer down, she appears to have had a change of heart. Rather than push for another shot at Nunes (15-4 MMA, 8-1 UFC), she’s targeting the newly opened flyweight class as her next conquest.

“Now I’m thinking to move to 125 (pounds), and I think more probably my next fight it will be in this division,” Shevchenko told Submission Radio on Thursday. “Because 125 is like much closer weight for me. It’s my real weight category, and even at 135 I feel comfortable, and I feel like 125 I will be able to use all my techniques and all my skills because I will fight with the same-sized opponents as me.”

The UFC formally opened the women’s 125-pound division earlier this year with “The Ultimate Fighter 26,” which debuted this past month and features 16 flyweight female fighters vying for the inaugural title belt.

Shevchenko had little incentive to move with 135-pound gold within her grasp. But now that she’s fallen short and dropped two fights to Nunes, she sees it as a more logical move than trying to get an immediate rematch or appeal the fight.

“I want to win my belt in a fair battle and to receive the belt from the fight, not only from legal situation or fighting like appeal or something like that,” she said. “And I know it will come; I will have my time. And will do everything great next time. So, I prefer to be the champion in the fight, not on the paper.”

The move to 125 pounds will be very familiar for the Russian. While competing in muay Thai, she fought as a flyweight and won several championships. One of her victims in the ring was none other than women’s strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk.

“Just a little bit of cutting, and it will be everything perfect,” Shevchenko said. “Because, in my Muay Thai fights, I was fighting every time at 125. The last year I was moving a little bit up in weight class, but it was 130. So I feel very comfortable at 125.

“And even at 125, we can have like opponents (that are) very tall, but of course it will be the same physical conditions – the same head, the same size arms and everything, the same like mine.”

Shevchenko hasn’t totally let go of a possible third fight with Nunes. She eventually plans to return to the bantamweight division to exact revenge.

“And for the next time, not give any chance to make this like this decision that was made a few days ago,” Shevchenko said. “Of course, it’s on my mind, and I still want it. Not right now, not in the near future, but definitely it will happen.”

Now, Shevchenko can start entertaining a matchup repeatedly posed to her by fans and journalists who were aware of her kickboxing past at flyweight.

“Every time when people ask me about Joanna, I say that, why not? Because we have our history, our era in fighting Muay Thai, and now we can start to do the same in MMA in the UFC,” she said.

For complete coverage of UFC 215, check out the UFC Events section of MMAjunkie.

Galleries

Valentina Shevchenko Fights

• 10 months ago

Comments

Valentina Shevchenko's flyweight debut set for UFC Fight Night 125

Valentina Shevchenko’s venture into the UFC women’s flyweight division is set to begin early next year.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Liz Carmouche ready to wipe the slate clean with fresh UFC start in flyweight division

Liz Carmouche already is part of UFC history, but on Saturday she’s eyeing a rebirth. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Shevchenko, Stevenson travel to Belem for Feb. bouts

Former world bantamweight title challenger Valentina Shevchenko will make her UFC flyweight debut on Feb. 3, as she travels to Belem, Brazil for a bout with unbeaten Brazilian newcomer Priscila Cacho read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Manny Pacquiao opening odds: 'Notorious' (no surprise) is underdog

While the UFC lightweight division remains in limbo, champion Conor McGregor has been fielding multiple challenges from the boxing world.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Alex Volkanovski ready to take on biggest talkers in UFC's featherweight division

Alex Volkanovski says you didn’t see the best version of him Saturday in Australia, but given the right opponent, he thinks you will soon.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 122 Results: Winners, Scorecards for Bisping vs. Gastelum Card

Kelvin Gastelum put the middleweight division on notice with a first-round knockout of Michael Bisping in the main event of UFC Fight Night 122 in Shanghai, China. The Count, who just lost to Georges read news >>

UFC Rising Stars: Francis Ngannou | MMAWeekly.com

Since his 2015 debut, UFC heavyweight Francis Ngannou has rocked the division with his five finishes and seemingly limitless ceiling. read news >>

UFC president makes push for Zuffa Boxing, but Oscar 'De La Cuckoo' not invited

After first hinting at a move into the square circle with a role in “The Money Fight,” UFC President Dana White is taking meetings early next year with “everybody who’s anybody” in the boxing world.F read news >>

10 reasons to watch UFC 218, including a surging champ and frightening Francis Ngannou

We have many reasons to tune into UFC 218, which features surging champ Max Holloway and frightening heavyweight contender Francis Ngannou.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Promises to Become Champion Again: 'I'm Still Running This Division' | MMAWeekly.com

Joanna Jedrzejczyk confident that she will regain the UFC women's strawweight title sooner rather than later read news >>