#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Alexander Volkov #Jimi Manuwa #Jan Blachowicz #Tom Duquesnoy #Terrion Ware #Paul Craig #Leon Edwards #Magomed Ankalaev #Charles Byrd #Peter Sobotta #John Phillips #Danny Henry #Hakeem Dawodu

Valentina Shevchenko changes tune, targets drop to UFC women's flyweight division

From the second she lost to UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes at UFC 215, Valentina Shevchenko was asking for a rematch.

Shevchenko (14-3 MMA, 3-2 UFC) blasted the judges who handed her a split-decision loss and even contemplated filing an appeal in lieu of a third fight with the Brazilian.

But after some time to simmer down, she appears to have had a change of heart. Rather than push for another shot at Nunes (15-4 MMA, 8-1 UFC), she’s targeting the newly opened flyweight class as her next conquest.

“Now I’m thinking to move to 125 (pounds), and I think more probably my next fight it will be in this division,” Shevchenko told Submission Radio on Thursday. “Because 125 is like much closer weight for me. It’s my real weight category, and even at 135 I feel comfortable, and I feel like 125 I will be able to use all my techniques and all my skills because I will fight with the same-sized opponents as me.”

The UFC formally opened the women’s 125-pound division earlier this year with “The Ultimate Fighter 26,” which debuted this past month and features 16 flyweight female fighters vying for the inaugural title belt.

Shevchenko had little incentive to move with 135-pound gold within her grasp. But now that she’s fallen short and dropped two fights to Nunes, she sees it as a more logical move than trying to get an immediate rematch or appeal the fight.

“I want to win my belt in a fair battle and to receive the belt from the fight, not only from legal situation or fighting like appeal or something like that,” she said. “And I know it will come; I will have my time. And will do everything great next time. So, I prefer to be the champion in the fight, not on the paper.”

The move to 125 pounds will be very familiar for the Russian. While competing in muay Thai, she fought as a flyweight and won several championships. One of her victims in the ring was none other than women’s strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk.

“Just a little bit of cutting, and it will be everything perfect,” Shevchenko said. “Because, in my Muay Thai fights, I was fighting every time at 125. The last year I was moving a little bit up in weight class, but it was 130. So I feel very comfortable at 125.

“And even at 125, we can have like opponents (that are) very tall, but of course it will be the same physical conditions – the same head, the same size arms and everything, the same like mine.”

Shevchenko hasn’t totally let go of a possible third fight with Nunes. She eventually plans to return to the bantamweight division to exact revenge.

“And for the next time, not give any chance to make this like this decision that was made a few days ago,” Shevchenko said. “Of course, it’s on my mind, and I still want it. Not right now, not in the near future, but definitely it will happen.”

Now, Shevchenko can start entertaining a matchup repeatedly posed to her by fans and journalists who were aware of her kickboxing past at flyweight.

“Every time when people ask me about Joanna, I say that, why not? Because we have our history, our era in fighting Muay Thai, and now we can start to do the same in MMA in the UFC,” she said.

For complete coverage of UFC 215, check out the UFC Events section of MMAjunkie.

Valentina Shevchenko Fights

• a year ago

Valentina Shevchenko calls out flyweight champ Nicco Montano for UFC 225 in Chicago

Valentina Shevchenko debuted in the new women’s flyweight division a month ago, and already is ready for a title shot. read news >>

Joby Sanchez Aims to Put UFC Flyweight Division on Notice in Austin | MMAWeekly.com

Joby Sanchez will make his promotional return at UFC Fight Night 126 on Sunday in Austin, Texas, against Roberto Sanchez in a preliminary 125-pound bout. read news >>

Back in welterweight win column, Donald Cerrone wishes for 165-pound division

Donald Cerrone is back in the win column as a UFC welterweight. But he believes he’d be even better at 165 pounds. read news >>

Rashad Evans moving back to 205, meets Anthony Smith at UFC 225

Rashad Evans is returning to the division he once ruled for a UFC 225 fight with Anthony Smith at light heavyweight. read news >>

Brian Ortega: A Bad Match-up for the UFC Featherweight Division | MMAWeekly.com

After watching Royce Gracie in the early days of the UFC, a young Brian Ortega tried out jiu-jitsu -- and turned out to be a prodigy. read news >>

Daily Debate: If ex-UFC champ Georges St-Pierre returns, which division?

Is it only fitting that arguably the sport’s greatest 170-pounder fighter – Georges St-Pierre – remains in the weight class? read news >>

Jack Marshman pulled from UFC Fight Night 127 lineup vs. Bradley Scott

Jack Marshman’s first cut down to the welterweight division for his UFC Fight Night 127 bout will not go forward as planned. read news >>

Daily Debate: If the UFC did a tournament, like Bellator, what would be the best division?

Hypothetically speaking, if the UFC did a yearlong tournament the way Bellator is doing, what would be the best division? read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Not Impressed With the Competition at Lightweight in the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov doesn't seem all that impressed by the competition in the lightweight division, at least judging by his comments when asked about the top fighters in the world at 155 pounds. Whil read news >>

UFC Fight Night 127 Results: Alexander Volkov Beats Fabricio Werdum via KO

• a day ago

Alexander Volkov put the top tier of the heavyweight division on notice with a fourth-round knockout of Fabricio Werdum in the main event of UFC Fight Night 127 from the O2 Arena in London. Vai Caval read news >>

Sean O'Malley Entered UFC 222 with Fractured Foot | MMAWeekly.com

Sean O'Malley is a rising star in the UFC bantamweight division. The unbeaten prospect made his pay-per-view debut on Saturday on the main card of UFC 222. read news >>

Derrick Lewis vs. Francis Ngannou? UFC starts pushing matchup; 'Black Beast' indifferent

UFC officials have started a small push for a potential matchup between contenders Derrick Lewis and Francis Ngannou. read news >>

Michael Chiesa explains how he's reinvented himself for Anthony Pettis bout at UFC 223

Michael Chiesa expects fans to see a new version of him when he fights Anthony Pettis at UFC 223. read news >>

UFC on FOX 28 pre-event facts: Jessica Andrade is UFC's most active female fighter

The best facts, figures and footnotes about UFC on FOX 28, which features a Josh Emmett vs. Jeremy Stephens featherweight main event. read news >>

Video: Watch UFC-Austin headliner Jeremy Stephens' 2011 knockout of Marcus Davis

Jeremy Stephens will soon have his 28th – 28th! – UFC bout, and during the run, the upcoming headliner has scored some remarkable knockouts. read news >>

UFC on FOX 28 co-main-event breakdown: Is Jessica Andrade's pressure too much for Tecia Torres?

MMAjunkie’s Dan Tom provides an in-depth breakdown of UFC on FOX 28’s Jessica Andrade vs. Tecia Torres co-main event. read news >>

Search for: