LAS VEGAS – Prior to his rematch victory over Ivan Menjivar at UFC 157 in February, the tide seemed to be turning against Urijah Faber.

The former World Extreme Cagefighting featherweight champion, once the unquestioned star of mixed martial arts' lighter weight classes, seemed to have lost his appeal. He wasn't in the same kind of furious demand from the media that he regularly had been.

He went into the bout having lost two of his last three, and had lost his last five title bouts. There was speculation he'd be cut if he were beaten by Menjivar.

But during a five-minute interview with Kenny Florian and Dominick Cruz on Tuesday on Fuel TV's UFC Tonight show, Faber proved why he's still a key part of the organization.

Faber fights his friend, Scott Jorgensen, on Saturday in the main event of The Ultimate Fighter Finale at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

He appeared on Fuel to hype the bout, where he was interviewed by Cruz, his long-time nemesis and archrival.

Cruz is the UFC's bantamweight champion, but hasn't fought since Oct. 1, 2011, as a result of two severe knee injuries. He's split a pair of fights with Faber, and the two definitely don't care for each other.

Cruz could barely contain his contempt for Faber as he did the interview live via Skype. Florian, perhaps sensing he might be able to get an explosive comment, jumped in and asked Faber if he thought Cruz deserved to continue to hold the belt despite his lengthy absence.

[Also: UFC seeks to educate with new code of conduct ]

Faber, though, handled the situation with class and gave a master class on how to handle a difficult media moment. He didn't take the opportunity to take a cheap shot at his foe and gave a thoughtful, passionate answer.

"I do, man," Faber said. "Now, Dominick and I don't necessarily get along, but I can respect the guy has earned what he has. The bottom line is, you can take the belt away, but everybody's still going to want to see him come back and fight the top guys. You don't want see guys at the top of the food chain fighting guys at the bottom.

"That's called a mismatch and they do that in boxing. They don't do that in MMA. Dom, keep the belt. Shine it. Take care of it. Put it next to your pillow. You have to get through [interim champ Renan] Barao first, who's very tough. That's going to be a good matchup. But then I'm looking to get back in there [with you] and have a go at it myself."

The easy answer would have been to say Cruz deserved to be stripped. That would have given Faber a more direct path to the title than if Cruz keeps it, especially considering it's still unclear when Cruz will be healthy enough to return. It's not inconceivable that he could miss most of 2013.

[Also: Cat Zingano conquered fears in Thailand ]

Faber, though, showed why he became one of the most popular fighters in the world. He was gracious, humble and funny, all at the same time.

Cruz, though, upped the ante when, through gritted teeth, he asked Faber who was a better fighter, himself or Barao. Faber split two fights with Cruz and was routed by Barao.

Again, Faber's answer, plus his follow-up to Cruz's response, was almost perfect.

"I got to say that's a tough one to call," Faber said, smiling, as Cruz listened with a stern look on his face. "The more dangerous fighter, obviously, is Barao, with deadly finishes and stuff like that. You have a real elusivity that's pretty rare. I would say it's going to come down to matchups.

"Who's going to win the fight? You guys are both really good. He's more dangerous. You're better at getting decisions, so if it goes to a decision, I give you the edge. If it's a finish, I give him the edge."

That answer didn't sit well with Cruz, who took it very personally.

"OK," Cruz began, "Let's just say I'm not fast, I'm not strong, I'm not athletic. I can't fight well at all. So I've been out-thinking people to win four world titles I guess is what you're trying to tell me."

Faber's response was to laugh and he gave another perfect response. He got that the public would eat up the repartee between them, so he didn't back away from it.

But he also noted that Cruz's dislike of him colored the way Cruz responded to his answer.

"Dominick, it sounds like that chip is still on your shoulder," Faber said. "I didn't say any of that stuff."

[Also: UFC trying to save Olympic wrestling ]

Watching it made one wonder how it was less than two months ago that there were more than a few who speculated that Faber had reached the end of the line.

Though he's 0-5 in his last five title fights, he's routinely been in excellent matchups and only his loss to Barao was not compelling. He is engaging and accessible and knows how to push his bouts.

He's closing in on his 34th birthday and his time at the top or near the top of the bantamweight heap may be winding down.

That time, though, is definitely not here yet. Expect Faber to put on one of the night's most entertaining bouts when he meets Jorgensen on Saturday, and look for him to give the hard sell to his next one immediately afterward.

Other popular content on Yahoo! Sports:
UConn women overwhelm Louisville in title game
Jason Cole: Still no smoking gun in ex-player's concussion lawsuits
Jay-Z looking to become an NBA agent
Tianlang Guan, 14, will be the youngest player in Master's history

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC Issues Statement Addressing Controversial Travel Ban Executive Order | MMAWeekly.com

  • 22 days ago
  • 204 views

The UFC issued a statement addressing U.S. President Trump's recent executive order instituting a travel ban. read news >>

Citing brain scan abnormality, UFC women's strawweight Aisling Daly announces retirement

  • 23 days ago
  • 15 views

Citing an abnormality that showed up on a recent brain scan, UFC women’s strawweight Aisling Daly today announced her retirement from MMA. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jacare Souza Believes Luke Rockhold is Avoiding Him, Remains Focused on the Belt (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

  • 14 days ago
  • 7 views

Jacare Souza believes Luke Rockhold is avoiding him and knows he has a tough fight with Tim Boetsch ahead, but he remains focused on a UFC title shot. read news >>

LFA 3 results: Trevin Giles stays unbeaten with split call over Ryan Spann, calls for UFC shot

  • 12 days ago
  • 3 views

Middleweight Trevin Giles remains unbeaten, but a meeting with Ryan Spann was a lot closer than he would have liked. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

The Question: Are UFC's Recent Struggles the Sign of an Inevitable Decline?

  • 9 days ago
  • 33 views

The UFC 208 card was likely beyond redemption when middleweight Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza submitted journeyman Tim Boetsch in the first round Saturday in Brooklyn, New York. Before the perennial contend read news >>

After hamstring injury, UFC Fight Night 105's Thiago Santos looks to bounce back

  • 4 days ago
  • 8 views

Two losses stick out on Thiago “Marreta” Santos’ recent resume, but according to the Brazilian UFC middleweight, the most recent one doesn’t tell the whole story.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

ONE Championship 52 highlights: Ev Ting wins standup war with UFC vet Kamal Shalorus

  • 9 days ago
  • 6 views

The most recent ONE Championship card had a great mix of stoppages to go with a highly competitive main event. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

UFC 208 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into UFC Fight Night 105

  • 9 days ago
  • 5 views

UFC 208 is in the books. The results are as follows: Germaine de Randamie def. Holly Holm by unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 48-47) Anderson Silva def. Derek Brunson by unanimous decision (29-28, 2 read news >>

Alex Volkanovski says he's off Sunday's UFC Fight Night 105 card in Halifax due to opponent issues

  • 9 days ago
  • 3 views

It’s only been 10 days since UFC officials announced Alex Volkanovski would be part of Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 105 card in Canada. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Why 'Decisionator Ryan LaFlare' nearly broke down in tears at UFC 208

  • 9 days ago
  • 45 views

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Ryan LaFlare’s father had never attended one of his MMA fights because “no one wants to see their kid get punched in the face,” he said. But for UFC 208 in New York? LaFlare’s old ma read news >>