#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #Nik Lentz #Will Brooks #Georges St-Pierre

A pioneer for the lighter weight classes in mixed martial arts, Urijah Faber fought for the last time inside the Octagon on Dec. 17, defeating Brad Pickett by unanimous decision.

Prior to the UFC on Fox 22 main card bout, Faber announced that it would be his last. After 13 years as a professional fighter, Faber went out with a win and on his own terms. The 37-year-old believes he could fight for years to come, but decided now was the time to walk away.

Urijah Faber“Part of the reason why I’m doing this is because I am able bodied and able minded. I don’t want to be a guy that people say, ‘he’s falling apart, and he’s a little punchy, and maybe it’s time to stop.’ I had a great run. I’ve been a world champion,” he said during the UFC on Fox 22 post-fight press conference.

“I’ve been a top contender. I’ve been a poster boy for an organization, for sponsorships. I’ve been able to do a lot,” he added.

TRENDING > Jon Jones Explains Getting “Blacked-Out Wasted” Before Fights

“The California Kid” wants to focus on other endeavors that don’t put his body in harms way.

“I do have a lot on my plate, and it’s also a hard way to make a living. I’m getting in there every day and grinding. This was my fourth fight this year. And no matter how you skin it, when you’re in camp, you have to make that your main focus, and I have a lot of things I want to focus on. So if I don’t draw a line and say that I’m going to stop here, I’ll keep going,” he explained.

“I just feel like it’s time.”

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Galleries

Urijah Faber Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Bellator 187 Fight Highlights from AJ McKee's Hard-Fought Victory in Dublin | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the full event highlights from Bellator 187, where rising star AJ McKee battled through one of the toughest fights of his career in Dublin, Ireland. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Fought Michael Bisping with Injured Neck | MMAWeekly.com

Georges St-Pierre revealed on Thursday that he suffered a neck injury in the opening round of his UFC 217 middleweight title fight against Michael Bisping. read news >>

Oscar De La Hoya, at 44, Calls Out Conor McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

Oscar De La Hoya has not fought in nine years, but the 44-year-old is willing to come out of retirement to face Conor McGregor. read news >>

Dakota Cochrane Wows Hometown Crowd (LFA 25 Results & Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the highlights from LFA 25, featuring headliner Dakota Cochrane, who defeated Ciro Rodrigues in front of his home town crowd in Omaha, Neb. read news >>

ONE: Legends of the World Gets Two Confirmed Title Fights | MMAWeekly.com

The ONE: Legends of the World card is coming together with eight fights confirmed including two title bouts. read news >>

Darren Till Mixes It Up with Mike Perry in the Octagon (UFC Gdansk) | MMAWeekly.com

Darren Till heaped praise on Donald Cerrone before mixing it up with Mike Perry from inside the Octagon. read news >>

Karolina Kowalkiewicz Gets Emotional in Post-Fight Interview (UFC Gdansk) | MMAWeekly.com

Coming off of the first two losses of her career, you'll have to forgive Karolina Kowalkiewicz for being a little emotional after getting back on track. read news >>

Conor McGregor: The Christening of Conor Jr. | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor and Company went all out for the christening of his son, Conor Jr. read news >>

Why Did Conor McGregor Get Sent Away at UFC Gdansk? | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor was in attendance at UFC Fight Night 118 on Saturday in Gdansk, Poland, to support teammate Artem Lobov, but got rebuked by the referee. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 post-event facts: Details behind single-round knockdown record

Check out all the facts, figures and footnotes from UFC Fight Night 118, which took place Saturday in Poland.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>