#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Bellator 185 #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #KSW 40 #MMA Rocks #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Conor McGregor #Kristina Williams #Norman Parke #Heather Hardy

Mike Guymon at UFC 121Following a disappointing stretch in the UFC that saw him lose three of four fights, Mike “Joker” Guymon rebounded in 2012, winning back-to-back fights for the first time in three years.

“I ended up coming back and fought at lightweight – a weight class I had never fought at before – and I wanted to prove something to myself that I could come back off the medication, see if I could win, show what I can do and handle the weight loss,” said Guymon. “I was pleased to have two victories.

“The last victory I had (against Mike Dizak in July), I have no idea how I won that fight. I have no idea how I fought. I had a completely fractured shoulder and I ended up pulling through and winning, so I’m happy.”

Having taken time off to heal, Guymon will be looking to etch his third win in a row when he makes his promotional debut Thursday at Bellator 85 in Atlantic City, NJ against former IFL vet Savant Young.

“I’ve done a lot of research and talked to other fighters that Savant’s fought, and they all say the same thing, that he’s so explosive and when you think you’re out of punching distance, don’t underestimate how fast he can close that distance,” said Guymon. “I think I have an edge in cardio. I don’t see too many people being able to out-cardio me. I obviously have a huge height and size advantage. I plan on taking advantage of all that.

“I have to do everything on my terms. I can’t do things on his terms. I want to take away his explosiveness. I want to be moving in a direction where he can’t really do much. And then I want to explode and take advantage of those situations.”

For Guymon, to be able to step into Bellator is not only a chance to continue his career, but possibly put to rest the disappointing run he had in the UFC.

“I love the opportunity to step into Bellator,” he said. “It’s a huge promotion that’s coming up and getting a lot of recognition. I’m happy to have it on my resume and dealings with them so far.

“The last two fights in the UFC were so frustrating for me because I was so flat and was not me because of the medication I was taking. Now that I’ve moved past that, I’m excited to show people what I can do.”

While getting a shot in Bellator is a big move for Guymon’s career, don’t expect him to say he’s going to take the promotion by storm, but rather is focused on taking things one step at a time.

“I just want to take each fight as it comes and win it,” Guymon told MMAWeekly.com. “Right now, signing that three-fight contract and being a part of a tournament, I don’t see any of that, I only see Savant and I want to deal with him and that’s it. All I see is Savant.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest Bellator MMA news and fight coverage.

Comments

Gegard Mousasi's Bellator plan: Shlemenko, title, MacDonald, light heavyweight – then retire?

Gegard Mousasi sees endless possibilities for his Bellator career. But it all starts with Bellator 185.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 184 results: Emmanuel Sanchez taps former champ Daniel Straus in third

Emmanuel Sanchez picked up the biggest win of his Bellator career with a third-round submission of former champion Daniel Straus.Filed under: News read news >>

Video: Nikita Krylov crushes former Bellator champ Emanuel Newton, stays perfect post-UFC

Nikita Krylov remained perfect in his post-UFC career when he defeated former Bellator champ Emmanuel Newton at Fight Nights Global 77.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

LFA 24 results: Curtis Millender scores highlight-reel finish, Mackenzie Dern stays perfect

Four-time Bellator veteran Curtis Millender is looking for a return to the big show, and he certainly helped his cause with a 38-second knockout of a tough Matthew Frincu.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, read news >>

After cancer brought blooming career to a halt, Bruno Ferreira still wants shot at his dream

The same week Bruno Ferreira signed his first big deal, he was diagnosed with cancer. But he’s still chasing after his fighting dream.Filed under: Featured, News read news >>

Zach Makovsky doesn't have plan beyond ACB 72 headliner vs. Yoni Sherbatov

Former UFC veteran and Bellator champion Zach Makovsky isn’t sure what his fighting future holds.Filed under: News, Radio, Videos read news >>

UFC contender Julianna Pena announces pregnancy, putting career on hold

Julianna Pena won’t be returning to the octagon any time soon; the UFC women’s bantamweight contender is pregnant.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ex-Bellator champ Liam McGeary 'broke my bloody thumb,' calls out top 205ers

Remember that injury that knocked Liam McGeary out of next week’s Bellator 185 event? We now have an X-ray of it.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Bellator 184 results: Darrion Caldwell takes bantamweight title with domination of Eduardo Dantas

Darrion Caldwell dominated bantamweight champion Eduardo Dantas to win the bantamweight title in Bellator 184’s main event.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Darrion Caldwell Captures Bantamweight Gold at Bellator 184 | MMAWeekly.com