#UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #GSP #Ben Askren #Conor McGregor #Fight Night Sydney #Shinya Aoki #ONE FC #Rose Namajunas #Kelvin Gastelum #TJ Dillashaw #Cody Garbrandt

035_jodie_esquibel_vs_liz_mccarthyAfter starting off her career with sometimes an entire year between fights, to have a quick turnaround after her last bout this past January is a big deal for Jackson’s MMA 105-pound fighter Jodie Esquibel.

“To keep that momentum going, it’s huge,” said Esquibel. “I’ve gone a year between fights and it’s hard. You want to say there’s no ring rust or cage rust, but you know what, I feel it does sometimes play a part in your fights.

“Also, I don’t know about other people, but for me it’s hard (to return to training after a long layoff). I do enjoy the time off. I’ve got a lot of other things going on and when it’s off time, it’s off time, so I’m truly glad I was able to stay in the swing of things.”

Staying at the top of her game is especially important for Esquibel now that she’s part of Invicta FC. She learned that the hard way in her debut for the promotion in January versus Liz McCarthy.

“That fight was extremely tough,” said Esquibel. “I don’t know if everybody knows how well-rounded Liz was. I felt like I needed to control the fight and I think that’s what got me the edge in the decision.

“I learned a lot about myself, training and the next level. I really feel like I grew as a fighter from that fight.”

Four months after her win over McCarthy, Esquibel once again returns to Invicta FC on Friday against Australian Alex Chambers in a featured 105-pound showdown.

“Just like with any other fight, I have to fight my fight,” said Esquibel. “I feel like I’ve rounded myself out and that’s what MMA is all about. People always ask where I see the fight going; it’s an MMA fight, I feel comfortable wherever we’re at.

“I know we both pride ourselves in standing up, which in MMA with the little gloves can be unforgiving, so I’ve just got to stay strong and on my game plan. I know if I perform to my full potential I will come out victorious.”

Following years of sparse competition in her weight class, Esquibel is excited for her future at strawweight in Invicta.

“I went a long time with fights falling through and moving up weight classes because we couldn’t find 105’ers, but now the 105 division is stacked,” she said. “There’s girls coming out of the woodwork and they’re extremely talented and awesome.

“I’m happy to be in the division that I’m at because there’s such a high level of competition. With the pace that I’m going and with some more fights underneath me, I’m ready to make a run at it this year. I feel like I’m in a good spot. I’m in a good place in my life and I’m ready to go.”

Comments

Western Australia gets its first UFC event with February pay-per-view card

The UFC’s long-awaited debut in Western Australia is finally official, with promotion execs announcing that UFC 221 will take place in Perth on Sunday, February 11.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk: 'Can you imagine this elbow on Rose's face? I can!' (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk shows off some of the impressive, powerful striking skills that she plans to use on Rose Namajunas. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk on Facebook Live

Joanna Jedrzejczyk jumped on Facebook live ahead of her UFC 217 strawweight title bout against Rose Namajunas. Among the topics she covered were the hardest hitting fighter, Conor's movie, her oppone read news >>

Rose Namajunas: 'I Think I Have Way More Skills Than Joanna Jedrzejczyk' | MMAWeekly.com

No. 4 ranked women's strawweight Rose Namajunas believes she has the tools to topple undisputed champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk has no doubt she'll beat Ronda Rousey's UFC title-defense record

UFC strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk is promising history in her title fight with Rose Namajunas at UFC 217.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cody Garbrandt, T.J. Dillashaw trade barbs on Team Alpha Male drama, PEDs at UFC 217 presser

The rivalry between former training partners Cody Garbrandt and T.J. Dillashaw has reached a boiling point before UFC 217.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk plans to retire undefeated, dominate 3 divisions

UFC strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk has some extremely lofty goals, starting with UFC 217.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk Berates Rose Namajunas: 'This is too much for you' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk has ramped up her war of words on challenger Rose Namajunas as the fight draws near. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping Keep Talking: What a Circus! | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre continue to trade barbs after their press conference. read news >>

UFC 217 results: Rose Namajunas stuns heavy favorite Joanna Jedrzejczyk to win strawweight title

There’s a new strawweight queen of the heap, and she was the biggest underdog on Saturday’s card. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>