#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Bellator 183 #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Takanori Gomi #Dong Hyun Kim

Chas SkellyLooking back on his third round TKO win at the recent Legacy FC 16, undefeated featherweight prospect Chas Skelly sees both the positives and negatives of his performance.

“There are a lot of things that I could have done a lot better that I didn’t do because I was trying to set him up for a certain submission the first couple rounds, but it wasn’t working,” said Skelly. “It should have been a 30-second fight in my opinion instead of three rounds.

“The good thing is I learned a lot from that fight and it was a very valuable experience for me, so I can’t say too many bad things about it.”

Skelly further elaborated on what the fight opened his eyes to by saying, “I think one of the biggest things I learned that no matter how well you prepare, no matter how much film you watch or how well you know an opponent, there’s just such a level of unpredictability that goes with this sport.

“First, I got too complacent and set in what I was planning on doing and it just really hurt me in the fight. Secondly, I shouldn’t force things and should just let them happen. Lastly, I shouldn’t stop throwing and try to land shots wherever I can because that’s where all your openings come from.”

Following a near two-year layoff, Skelly’s three wins in three fights in 2012 couldn’t have been a more successful comeback.

“In 2010, I suffered an injury that put me out for a year, then in 2011 I tried to come back from the injury and got hurt again; so finally getting back in there and finally getting great coaching and training partners at Team Takedown, things are going great for me,” he said.

“It’s nice to get back in there and get a few wins under my belt. 2012 went better than I could have planned or ever expected.”

Having fought previously in Bellator before his injury, Skelly is looking forward to getting back up to that level again and finish what he started prior to his layoff.

“Now that I’m back and rolling and feeling good, I know I can push myself just like I used to before I got hurt – that’s a huge step for me,” he said. “Hopefully before too long I’ll get a call from a bigger promotion.

“This year was a big year for me because I had to come back, and next year is going to be even better because I believe I’m going to carry my momentum through into the bigger promotions and pick up right where I left off.”

Comments

Watch Stefan Struve Make Short Work of Lavar Johnson (UFC Rotterdam Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Stefan Struve submit Lavar Johnson in 2012. read news >>

Ronda Rousey and Travis Browne Reveal Wedding Photo Gallery | MMAWeekly.com

While a couple photos leaked already, Ronda Rousey and Travis Browne have now revealed several wedding photos to the world. read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam bonuses: Zabit Magomedsharipov, Mairbek Taisumov earn $50K for finishes

Two impressive stoppage victories at UFC Fight Night 115 were worthy of $50,000 bonuses.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: After visa issues, Mairbek Taisumov returned to score this dazzling 1-punch KO

Unable to fight in the US due to visa issues, Mairbek Taisumov made the most of his rare opportunity to actually get in the octagon.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Trading Shots: Has MMA returned to normal, or are we suffering from a 'Money Fight' hangover?

Now that the hype from Mayweather vs. McGregor has finally died down and the UFC has resumed its frantic pace of events, are we happy to get back to normal in MMA? Or are we still feeling the lull fr read news >>

Sarah Moras got period, turned down shift delivering mail, got big UFC 215 win

UFC 215 was an emotional night for Sarah Moras. She returned after a two-year layoff, got her first UFC victory since 2014, and did it all after walking out to a song that her late father loved.Filed read news >>

Jon Jones 'B' Sample Returns Same Positive Result for Steroids | MMAWeekly.com

Jon Jones' 'B' sample has been returned with the same results as previously discovered as the UFC light heavyweight champion has tested positive for steroids. Jones tested positive for the anabolic s read news >>

David Branch ready for step up in competition vs. Luke Rockhold at UFC Fight Night 116

For former WSOF two-division champ David Branch, fighting ex-UFC champ Luke Rockhold is just another day at the office.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 Results: Matches to Make for the Winners and Losers

UFC returned to Pittsburgh for another Fight Night event Saturday. In the main event, Luke Rockhold defeated David Branch to cement his status as one of the best middleweights in the world. However, read news >>