Alexander Sarnavskiy - BellatorUpon making his American debut last year as part of M-1 Global, highly regarded Russian lightweight Alexander “Tiger” Sarnavskiy did not fail to impress. Sarnavskiy submitted both of his opponents, helping add to five total wins in 2011, which in addition to two wins earlier this year have elevated his overall record to 20-0.

When speaking to MMAWeekly.com through interpreter Alexei Zhermakov, Sarnavskiy hopes to keep things going when he makes his promotional debut at Bellator 77 on Friday night in Redding, Penn.

“What surprised me here is that even the American fans were rooting for me to win the fight, even though I was fighting Americans,” said Sarnavskiy. “I am looking forward to continuing my career here in the U.S. fighting for Bellator. I hope not to disappoint the fans with this fight Friday night.”

As part of this season’s lightweight tournament, Sarnavskiy knows that he’ll have to be on top of his game against a talented pool of athletes.

“I think that fighting in Bellator’s tournament will be a very big test for me because all the fighters (involved) are very tough and strong opponents,” he said. “To pass all of them, to beat three of them in a row, will be a very serious task.

“It will help me find out where I am (in my career) and test my abilities as a professional fighter.”

Sarnavskiy’s first round opponent is possibly the biggest test he’s ever faced in UFC veteran Rich Clementi.

“First of all, I think it will be really hard to surprise my opponent,” said Sarnavskiy of Clementi. “He has almost 70 professional fights and has fought on the biggest stages in the world against top competition.

“I think he is more of a wrestler who tries to take his opponent down or lets himself be taken down and then is good on the ground with submissions from his back, on the top and is good at controlling his opponents on the ground. I think I am ready to fight him both standing up or on the ground, anywhere, but I must be prepared for anything.”

Sarnavskiy continued, “But because he prefers the ground game, I will try to fight him standing up. I think it will make the fight more exciting and I will have more chances to finish him standing up.”

When asked if he’s thought about the possibilities of who he could be facing later in the tournament, Sarnavskiy replied, “I have looked at all the fighters in the eight-man tournament, but I am focused on my first fight most of all.

“If I win this fight, then I will begin to focus on my next opponent, because obviously if I lose the first fight, there would be no sense in looking at anybody because you’re out. I study all the opponents, but I am concentrating on my first opponent and it is the most important thing I am working on right now.”

Regardless of outcome, Sarnavskiy promise fans a fight they won’t soon forget.

“I want to thank them for their support, and on my side, I will try everything to not disappoint them and show them an exciting fight that they will remember for a long time.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your Bellator news and updates.

Bellator 172 main event between Fedor Emelianenko, Matt Mitrione scratched

The highly anticipated Bellator debut of Fedor Emelianenko will have to wait.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Matt Mitrione Bellator 172 Fight Canceled

Saturday night's Bellator 172 has a new main event because the anticipated heavyweight showdown between Matt Mitrione and Fedor Emelianenko has been canceled. Bellator president Scott Coker announced read news >>

Fedor vs. Matt Mitrione Bellator Bout Canceled | MMAWeekly.com

Saturday night's Bellator 172 main event between Fedor Emelianenko and Matt Mitrione has been canceled. read news >>

Bellator boss Scott Coker: Fedor Emelianenko eyes May or June for new fight, possibly in San Jose

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Bellator President Scott Coker admits he's just as disappointed as you are that Fedor Emelianenko didn't fight on Saturday night, but he promises "The Last Emperor" will fight for read news >>

Patricky 'Pitbull' Knocks Out Josh Thomson; Josh Koscheck KO'd in Debut (Bellator 172 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Patricky "Pitbull" Freire demolished Josh "The Punk" Thomson with a forearm uppercut in the second round to earn the biggest victory of his career on Saturday in San Jose, Calif. read news >>

Thomson vs. Freire Results: Winner, Scorecard and Reaction from Bellator 172

It wasn't the main event that people expected, but Patricky "Pitbull" Freire made Saturday night his at Bellator 172, defeating Josh "The Punk" Thomson via second-round TKO at SAP Center in San Jose, read news >>

Bellator 172: Fedor vs. Mitrione Post-Fight Press Conference Replay | MMAWeekly.com

Fedor and the big winners from the Bellator 172: Fedor vs. Mitrione fight card fielded questions from the media following the event in San Jose, Calif. read news >>

Bellator 172 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Thomson vs. Freire Card

Bellator 172 was supposed to be the return and promotional debut of Fedor Emelianenko. Unfortunately, that didn't happen, but Saturday night's card still ended with a bang. Patricky "Pitbull" Freire read news >>

Bellator 172 video highlights: Watch Patricky 'Pitbull' viciously ruin Josh Thomson's homecoming

Fighting in front of his hometown fans, veteran lightweight Josh Thomson was given the opportunity to compete in the main event of Saturday’s Bellator 172, but the result wasn’t as he might have hope read news >>

Bellator 172 Results: Real Winners and Losers from Thomson vs. Pitbull

Before the event started, Bellator 172 was doomed to disappoint most of the people who tuned in. Just a few hours ahead of the first fight of the night, news broke from MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani t read news >>