sara-mcmann-5.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

There was a moment in Cat Zingano‘s UFC debut this month when she decided she was done getting beaten up.

It came shortly after the horn sounded to end the first round, when her opponent, former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate, pushed off Zingano’s face to get back to her feet.

“That was an insult to me, my family, my training camp and everything I sacrificed to get there,” Zingano told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “After that, I wanted to make sure she remembered me on her face by the time the fight was over.”

Two rounds later, Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) achieved that goal. She battered and bloodied Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) with knees and elbows, forcing a referee stoppage midway through the third round and sealing a dramatic comeback victory.

Zingano became the first mother to win a UFC fight, a feat the 30-year-old said she didn’t fully appreciate until the fight was over.

“I think being a mother definitely gives me an advantage,” said Zingano, who added that the birth of her now 6-year-old son, Braden, was part of what drove her to pursue her passion for combat sports. “I wanted to do something with my life that he could be proud of, something that would show him the importance of having something you’re passionate about.”

That’s a sentiment fellow UFC bantamweight and Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann can relate to.

McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) won her UFC debut last weekend in UFC 159 in Newark. Her 4-year-old daughter, Bella, watched eagerly as her mother took down German striker Sheila Gaff (10-5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and pounded her into a first-round TKO stoppage.

“To her, it’s just like, ‘There’s Mom doing what she does,’” McMann said.

After the fight, McMann remarked on how surprised she was at her lack of nerves for her UFC debut. In her role as a mother, however, things are rarely as simple.

“I can be at peace with my career much easier,” she said. “I know what I’m doing there, and I know what I need to do. … But as a mom, you never know if the choices you make are the right ones. It’s harder because there’s no clear right answer.”

Take the lengthy, grueling training camps MMA fighters endure, for instance.

They often mean sacrificing family time, which is exactly what Zingano was thinking about when Tate used her face to get up.

It’s also why it might have been the worst mistake Tate made all night.

“To call myself a fighter is to be selfish at times,” Zingano said. “It makes me resent my opponent. That’s motivation I can tap into. When I think about protecting my son and fighting for him, that’s a big threat in a fight. If I can go there, it makes me unstoppable.”

For complete coverage of UFC 159, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Sara McMann)

Video: Watch today's UFC on FOX 23 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 7 p.m. ET

DENVER – UFC on FOX 23 ceremonial fighter weigh-ins take place today, and you can catch a live video stream of the proceedings here on MMAjunkie at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Video read news >>

Citing brain scan abnormality, UFC women's strawweight Aisling Daly announces retirement

Citing an abnormality that showed up on a recent brain scan, UFC women’s strawweight Aisling Daly today announced her retirement from MMA. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Masvidal vs. Cerrone: Controlling the Inside Line | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports UFC Fight Night: Shevchenko versus Pena was a decent night of scraps with a couple of cracking finishes. Valentina Shevchenko emerged as the next challenger for t read news >>

Masvidal vs. Cerrone: Controlling the Inside Line | FIGHTLAND

UFC on FOX 23 medical suspensions: Headliner Julianna Pena among possible 6-month sits

UFC on FOX 23’s Julianna Pena came up short in her bid to earn a title shot, and she may now have to sit out a potential six months to compete again.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Jan. 31: Shevchenko-Pena flip-flop, Masvidal makes big leap

This past Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event in Denver saw some shifts in the balance of a couple divisions. Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Listen to today's UFC 208 media call with Holm, de Randamie, Silva, Brunson at 5 p.m. ET

The headliners and co-headliners of next week’s UFC 208 event address the media today in a conference call, and you can listen to it live beginning at 5 p.m. ET (2 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Vi read news >>

UFC Statement on Justin Ledet

The UFC organization was formally notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Justin Ledet of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sam read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET): Former UFC champ Miesha Tate in studio

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guest Miesha Tate in studio.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Houston Quick Results: The Zombie Is Back | FIGHTLAND

Photos by Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports The UFC returned to Houston, Texas, on Saturday night—on the eve of the Super Bowl—for a night of fights at the Toyota Center. We were treated to a twelve-f read news >>