#Conor McGregor #Justin Buchholz #Duane Ludwig #Ramsey Nijem #Julian Lane #UFC 211 #Nate Diaz #Jon Jones #Rory MacDonald #UFC 202 #Dhiego Lima #Hayder Hassan #Joanna Jedrzejczyk #Bellator 179

sara-mcmann-5.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

There was a moment in Cat Zingano‘s UFC debut this month when she decided she was done getting beaten up.

It came shortly after the horn sounded to end the first round, when her opponent, former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate, pushed off Zingano’s face to get back to her feet.

“That was an insult to me, my family, my training camp and everything I sacrificed to get there,” Zingano told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “After that, I wanted to make sure she remembered me on her face by the time the fight was over.”

Two rounds later, Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) achieved that goal. She battered and bloodied Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) with knees and elbows, forcing a referee stoppage midway through the third round and sealing a dramatic comeback victory.

Zingano became the first mother to win a UFC fight, a feat the 30-year-old said she didn’t fully appreciate until the fight was over.

“I think being a mother definitely gives me an advantage,” said Zingano, who added that the birth of her now 6-year-old son, Braden, was part of what drove her to pursue her passion for combat sports. “I wanted to do something with my life that he could be proud of, something that would show him the importance of having something you’re passionate about.”

That’s a sentiment fellow UFC bantamweight and Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann can relate to.

McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) won her UFC debut last weekend in UFC 159 in Newark. Her 4-year-old daughter, Bella, watched eagerly as her mother took down German striker Sheila Gaff (10-5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and pounded her into a first-round TKO stoppage.

“To her, it’s just like, ‘There’s Mom doing what she does,’” McMann said.

After the fight, McMann remarked on how surprised she was at her lack of nerves for her UFC debut. In her role as a mother, however, things are rarely as simple.

“I can be at peace with my career much easier,” she said. “I know what I’m doing there, and I know what I need to do. … But as a mom, you never know if the choices you make are the right ones. It’s harder because there’s no clear right answer.”

Take the lengthy, grueling training camps MMA fighters endure, for instance.

They often mean sacrificing family time, which is exactly what Zingano was thinking about when Tate used her face to get up.

It’s also why it might have been the worst mistake Tate made all night.

“To call myself a fighter is to be selfish at times,” Zingano said. “It makes me resent my opponent. That’s motivation I can tap into. When I think about protecting my son and fighting for him, that’s a big threat in a fight. If I can go there, it makes me unstoppable.”

For complete coverage of UFC 159, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Sara McMann)

UFC® debuts in Edmonton in September

UFC® announced today that it will stage its first-ever event in Edmonton at Rogers Place on Saturday, September 9. Edmonton now becomes the 10th Canadian city to host a UFC card. UFC® 216 marks the U read news >>

Nate Diaz took UFC 213 fight vs. Tony Ferguson, then decided not to do Conor McGregor's 'dirty work'

UFC star Nate Diaz said he was offered to fight Tony Ferguson at UFC 213, but “circumstances” and an epiphany of sorts kept him from realizing the matchup after he initially accepted the offer.Filed read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with UFC welterweight Jake Ellenberger

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guest Jake Ellenberger.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Reminder: 'Countdown to UFC 211: Miocic vs. Dos Santos 2' debuts today on FS1

As a reminder, the UFC’s traditional pre-event show returns today with the debut of “Countdown to UFC 211: Miocic vs. Dos Santos 2” on FS1.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with UFC 211's Junior Dos Santos, Zach Makovsky

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Junior Dos Santos and Zach Makovsky.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Today's JDS knows his best skill: a punch to the face

As he prepares for his UFC 211 rematch with Stipe Miocic this Saturday in Dallas, former heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos has no problem revealing the game plan that he hopes will allow him to read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, May 9: Which division is due for a shakeup at UFC 211?

Take a look at this week rankings to see what’s at stake ahead of a stacked UFC 211 that features two title bouts and a boat load of top-10 fighters.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Bellator, MMA Rankings read news >>

Joseph Benavidez says he's injured, out of UFC Fight Night 110 bout vs. Ben Nguyen

Joseph Benavidez today announced he has suffered an undisclosed injury, which has forced him to withdraw from his fight against Ben Nguyen at UFC Fight Night 110.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch UFC 211's post-event press conference on MMAjunkie

DALLAS – UFC 211 takes place today at American Airlines Center in Dallas. As usual, you can watch a live video stream of the post-event press conference here on MMAjunkie at approximately 1:30 a.m. E read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC 211 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 7 p.m. ET

DALLAS – UFC 211 ceremonial fighter weigh-ins take place today, and you can catch a live video stream of the proceedings here on MMAjunkie at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>