#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Fight Night Rotterdam #Demetrious Johnson #Anderson Silva

sara-mcmann-5.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

There was a moment in Cat Zingano‘s UFC debut this month when she decided she was done getting beaten up.

It came shortly after the horn sounded to end the first round, when her opponent, former Strikeforce champion Miesha Tate, pushed off Zingano’s face to get back to her feet.

“That was an insult to me, my family, my training camp and everything I sacrificed to get there,” Zingano told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “After that, I wanted to make sure she remembered me on her face by the time the fight was over.”

Two rounds later, Zingano (8-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) achieved that goal. She battered and bloodied Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) with knees and elbows, forcing a referee stoppage midway through the third round and sealing a dramatic comeback victory.

Zingano became the first mother to win a UFC fight, a feat the 30-year-old said she didn’t fully appreciate until the fight was over.

“I think being a mother definitely gives me an advantage,” said Zingano, who added that the birth of her now 6-year-old son, Braden, was part of what drove her to pursue her passion for combat sports. “I wanted to do something with my life that he could be proud of, something that would show him the importance of having something you’re passionate about.”

That’s a sentiment fellow UFC bantamweight and Olympic wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann can relate to.

McMann (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) won her UFC debut last weekend in UFC 159 in Newark. Her 4-year-old daughter, Bella, watched eagerly as her mother took down German striker Sheila Gaff (10-5-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) and pounded her into a first-round TKO stoppage.

“To her, it’s just like, ‘There’s Mom doing what she does,’” McMann said.

After the fight, McMann remarked on how surprised she was at her lack of nerves for her UFC debut. In her role as a mother, however, things are rarely as simple.

“I can be at peace with my career much easier,” she said. “I know what I’m doing there, and I know what I need to do. … But as a mom, you never know if the choices you make are the right ones. It’s harder because there’s no clear right answer.”

Take the lengthy, grueling training camps MMA fighters endure, for instance.

They often mean sacrificing family time, which is exactly what Zingano was thinking about when Tate used her face to get up.

It’s also why it might have been the worst mistake Tate made all night.

“To call myself a fighter is to be selfish at times,” Zingano said. “It makes me resent my opponent. That’s motivation I can tap into. When I think about protecting my son and fighting for him, that’s a big threat in a fight. If I can go there, it makes me unstoppable.”

For complete coverage of UFC 159, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Sara McMann)

Galleries

Cat Zingano Fights

• a year ago

Comments

USADA suspends UFC's Nick Roehrick 1 year for doping

Just over one month after he was flagged for a failed drug test, Nick Roehrick has accepted a suspension from USADA.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Today, in gross-stuff news: UFC lightweight Dan Hooker's post-surgery knee

Dan Hooker’s right knee brought us excitement in June, when it delivered a knockout of Ross Pearson en route to a $50,000 bonus. His left one, however, isn’t doing too well at the moment.Filed under: read news >>

Video replay: Today's UFC Fight Night 117 weigh-ins in Japan

Check out a replay of the UFC Fight Night 117 weigh-ins, which took place today in Tokyo.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Mizuto Hirota missed weight for UFC-Japan – and it was pretty scary

Mizuto Hirota was the last fighter to weigh in today for UFC Fight Night 117, and once he finally made it to the scale, it wasn’t pretty.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 Medical Suspensions: Three Fighters Face Three-Month Layoffs | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC released the medical suspensions stemming from Friday's UFC Fight Night 117 on Monday. Three fighters from the fight card that took place at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan face potenti read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, Sept. 26: Does Jessica Andrade deserve another title shot?

With both the UFC and Bellator in action over the weekend, plenty of fighters had a chance to make a statement, but perhaps none did more so than Jessica Andrade.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Reacts to Being Co-Main Event Behind Ferguson vs. Lee at UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

A month ago, Demetrious Johnson was headlining UFC 215 in Canada with the chance to break the all time title defense record in UFC history with his fight against Ray Borg. Unfortunately, Borg fell il read news >>

Reminder: 'Countdown to UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee' debuts today on FS1

As a reminder, the UFC’s traditional pre-event show returns today with the debut of “Countdown to UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee” on FS1.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC 216 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 8 p.m. ET

Catch a live video stream of the UFC 216 ceremonial weigh-ins from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas at 8 p.m. ET (5 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch today's UFC 217 press conference with Bisping, GSP, others at 6:30 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS – Check out a live stream of today’s UFC 217 press conference, which includes all six title-fight participants, live here on MMAjunkie at 6:30 p.m. ET (3:30 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC, read news >>