#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

glover-teixeira-6.jpg(This story appears in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

BELO HORIZONTE, Brazil – THE UFC conducts its third fight card in seven days tonight. Although the latest has been overshadowed by its predecessors, UFC Fight Night 28 features three contests with top-10 fighters, led by the matchup of light heavyweights Glover Teixeira vs. Ryan Bader.

Teixeira (21-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC), ranked seventh in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA rankings, and No. 10 Bader (15-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) headline the event at Mineirinho Arena (5 p.m. ET, FOX Sports 1).

Teixeira, a Brazilian who lives and trains in Danbury, Conn., returns to his home state of Minas Geraisto compete professionally for the first time.

“When I was fighting in Brazil, I was always thinking I would eventually get on a card in Belo Horizonte so I could fight in my home state, but I never got that opportunity,” Teixeira told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com. “Now I’m in the UFC, and I’m fighting in the main event here. It’s going to be great. It’s very exciting. I hope all the people will come to support me.”

Teixeira, 33, a longtime training partner of UFC Hall of Famer Chuck Liddell, made his UFC debut 16 months ago but already has four wins, each more impressive than the last. Recently, UFC Director of International Development Marshall Zelaznik said that a “strong victory” against Bader could earn Teixeira a shot at the light heavyweight title.

Teixeira, who was not present at that August press conference, said he heard about the opportunity almost immediately but said it will have little effect on his approach to the fight.

“Right away my friends called me and said, ‘Guess what,’” Teixeira said. “But no matter what happens, whether I could have a title shot or not, I’m going to step into the octagon the same way. I’m going to go for the knockout. That’s the way I fight.

“I’m going to push the pace. I’m going to try to control the octagon and finish the fight as fast as I can. It’s not a matter of doing something different because I might have a title shot later. That’s the way I fight.”

Bader, a two-time Division I All-American wrestler and winner of “The Ultimate Fighter 8,” represents the best wrestler Teixeira has faced. However, Teixeira has a 19-fight winning streak, 17 of which came by stoppage, a testament to both his knockout power and submission abilities.

Wednesday’s event represents Teixeira’s opportunity to transition from long-hyped prospect to true championship contender, and he’ll do it before a friendly crowd that will include his four siblings. Unfortunately, his parents will not be there.

“My dad wanted to go, but my mom, she gets nervous,” Teixeira said. “She doesn’t watch the fights live. She records them watches them later. So my dad is just going to stay home and keep her happy.”

Also on the card, No. 4 middleweight Yushin Okami (29-7 MMA, 13-4 UFC) meets No. 8 Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza (18-3 MMA, 1-0 UFC), and No. 2 flyweight Joseph Benavidez (18-3 MMA, 5-1 UFC) faces No. 5 Jussier Formiga (15-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC).

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 28, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Glover Teixeira Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Video: Watch today's UFC Fight Night 119 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 4 p.m. ET

UFC Fight Night 119 ceremonial weigh-ins take place today. Catch a live stream of the proceedings on MMAjunkie at 4 p.m. ET (1 p.m. PT).Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Listen to today's UFC 217 media call with Michael Bisping, Georges St-Pierre at 5 p.m. ET

Listen to today’s UFC 217 media call with middleweight champ Michael Bisping and challenger Georges St-Pierre on MMAjunkie at 5 p.m. ET.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 217: Bisping vs St-Pierre Fantasy Cheat Sheet

In today's fantasy preview, we'll examine all three title fights, as well as several other matchups on the card, to see who has the edge and who might be primed for an upset at UFC 217: Bisping vs. S read news >>

USADA: UFC's Brandon Moreno accepts no-fault finding after failed drug test

UFC anti-doping partner USADA today announced a finding of no-fault after standout UFC flyweight Brandon Moreno failed a drug test.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Names His Terms for Return to the UFC

The biggest question in MMA today isn't about UFC 217 or the upcoming UFC TV deal negotiations. No, the biggest question in MMA today is "what the heck is going on with Conor McGregor?" While many we read news >>

UFC statement on Azunna Anyanwu

The UFC organization was notified today that the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has informed Azunna Anyanwu of a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation stemming from an out-of-competition sample col read news >>

UFC Announces New Integrated Partnership with AirAsia

UFC®, the world’s premier mixed martial arts organization, today announced a new multi-territory partnership with AirAsia, Asia’s leading low-cost carrier, to serve as the global brand’s first-ever “ read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with UFC-Norfolk breakdown, Bellator tourney discussion

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) as we preview Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 120 event and discuss the newly announced Bellator MMA World Grand Prix 2018.Filed under: Bellator, read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs Pettis Fantasy Cheat Sheet

In today's fantasy preview, we'll examine the lineup to see who has the edge going into Saturday's card and if there might be an upset brewing at UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Pettis. read news >>

Listen to today's UFC Fight Night 122 media call with Michael Bisping, Kelvin Gastelum at 3 p.m. ET

You can listen to today’s UFC Fight Night 122 media call here on MMAjunkie at 3 p.m. ET (noon PT).Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>