#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Nick Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva #Quinton Jackson #Demetrious Johnson #Pancrase

demetrious-johnson-24.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

SEATTLE – For most new parents, the first week after their child’s birth is one of great joy, a time to celebrate a new life and the growth of a family. For UFC flyweight titleholder Demetrious Johnson, that week will include a five-round prizefight with his belt on the line.

“I’ve never gotten in the octagon, regardless of the circumstances, and not been in shape and prepared to fight,” Johnson told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “So I’ve made arrangements. It’s not like I was in the hospital eating chicken tenders and french fries. I’m going to handle my business as a married husband and take care of my responsibilities, but I’m also going to handle my business as UFC champion.”

Johnson (17-2-1 MMA, 5-1-1 UFC), a Washington state native and resident, puts his 125-pound title on the line Saturday against top contender John Moraga (13-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) in the headlining bout of UFC on FOX 8, at Seattle’s KeyArena. The four-fight main card airs on Fox (8 p.m. ET) following prelims on FX (5 p.m. ET).

Johnson’s wife, Destiny, gave birth on Friday to the couple’s first child, son Tyren. Johnson briefly broke training camp to enjoy the occasion, but insists his 12 weeks of intense preparation wasn’t affected by the short hiatus. Incredibly, balancing his pre-fight readiness with his wife’s pregnancy might not have even been the most difficult hurdle to overcome.

It was four months ago that Johnson, 26, had shoulder surgery to repair multiple labrum tears. Still, “Mighty Mouse” insists he’s 100 percent heading into his second title defense.

“I know it’s a fast turnaround with me getting back into it, but honestly, I had a good surgeon, and I listened to my coaches and just took my time with this injury,” Johnson said. “We hammered the physical therapy pretty hard, but when it came to relaxing and healing and all that stuff, I made sure to take precautions. Now I’m back in there to fight.”

In Moraga, Johnson faces an opponent who, though relatively unknown to the casual fan after two UFC appearances, boasts an impressive blend of wrestling prowess and durability, plus knockout power. Moraga, who trains alongside UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson at Arizona’s MMA Lab, has also criticized Johnson, labeling the champ’s style as “boring” and unwilling to put on “fights the fans want to see.”

Johnson is aware of the criticism, but the even-keeled champ said this hasn’t become a grudge fight.

“I don’t let it affect me,” Johnson said. “That’s his opinion, and everybody is entitled to his opinion. At the end of the day, July 27, we’re going to step into the octagon and fight.”

On Saturday, Johnson will make the 30-minute drive from his home in Kirkland, Wash., to KeyArena, where all the variables will be put to the test. While it seems Johnson’s road to the event has been paved with pitfalls and distractions, he insists everything is going according to plan.

“My training was good, my family is good, weight is good – everything is just really good,” Johnson said. “On Saturday, I’m going to just go up the street, fight, and drive back home.”

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Today, in gross-stuff news: UFC lightweight Dan Hooker's post-surgery knee

Dan Hooker’s right knee brought us excitement in June, when it delivered a knockout of Ross Pearson en route to a $50,000 bonus. His left one, however, isn’t doing too well at the moment.Filed under: read news >>

Video replay: Today's UFC Fight Night 117 weigh-ins in Japan

Check out a replay of the UFC Fight Night 117 weigh-ins, which took place today in Tokyo.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Mizuto Hirota missed weight for UFC-Japan – and it was pretty scary

Mizuto Hirota was the last fighter to weigh in today for UFC Fight Night 117, and once he finally made it to the scale, it wasn’t pretty.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 Preview: 3 Fights You Can't Miss from Japan Card

I come before you today not to sell snake oil. UFC Fight Night 117 is not a good card. The card, which happens from the venerated Saitama Super Arena in Japan and airs Friday night in the United Stat read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, Sept. 26: Does Jessica Andrade deserve another title shot?

With both the UFC and Bellator in action over the weekend, plenty of fighters had a chance to make a statement, but perhaps none did more so than Jessica Andrade.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, read news >>

Ray Borg scrapped nutritionist but cutting weight same way for UFC 216 vs. Demetrious Johnson

Ray Borg fell ill at UFC 215, resulting in his title fight with Demetrious Johnson being scrapped, but says it had nothing to do with cutting weight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Reacts to Being Co-Main Event Behind Ferguson vs. Lee at UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

A month ago, Demetrious Johnson was headlining UFC 215 in Canada with the chance to break the all time title defense record in UFC history with his fight against Ray Borg. Unfortunately, Borg fell il read news >>

Listen to today's UFC 216 conference call with Ferguson, Lee, Johnson, and Borg (5 p.m. ET)

Listen as the four title-fight competitors from UFC 216 address the media ahead of next week’s event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 preview: A closer look at Demetrious Johnson's career statistics

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson returns next Saturday in search of history in UFC 216’s co-headlining act. Check out his amazing career stats.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Reminder: 'Countdown to UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee' debuts today on FS1

As a reminder, the UFC’s traditional pre-event show returns today with the debut of “Countdown to UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee” on FS1.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>