#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Bellator 183 #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Teruto Ishihara

daniel-cormier-olympics.jpg(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)

Despite building an undefeated record as a heavyweight mixed martial artist, Daniel Cormier is strongly considering a move to the 205-pound light heavyweight division.

It’s an astonishing revelation for a man who has long insisted such a move would be impossible, especially since dropping weight once nearly killed Cormier.

“It was very scary,” he told USA TODAY Sports and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I was in the hospital. I was getting IV bags, not really eating food. I couldn’t recover from the weight cut.”

The two-time Olympic wrestler’s harrowing experience came during the 2008 Beijing Games. As is customary with almost all elite-level wrestlers, Cormier was cutting water weight when his kidneys failed, forcing him to withdraw from the competition.

“I had been cutting weight for a really long time,” Cormier said. “I think I started when I was 13, but I was doing it the wrong way. I put (a plastic sweatsuit) on a week before I weighed in, and I would just start sucking out that water. … Your body can only take so much. I was beating it down every time. It was very scary.”

Cormier’s history is one reason, even at 5-10, all of his professional MMA bouts have been as a heavyweight, with its 265-pound limit. It’s the division in which he’ll make his UFC debut at Saturday’s UFC on FOX & event in San Jose (FOX, 8 p.m. ET). Cormier (11-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) faces ex-UFC champ Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC), but he thinks that, win or lose, his future might lie in a different weight class.

“Physically, I’m different now,” said Cormier, 34, an All-America wrestler at Oklahoma State. “When I was saying that I couldn’t make light heavyweight, it wasn’t happening. At my heaviest, I was 264 pounds. I was consistently weighing in for fights at 250 pounds, and that was after training camps. I was losing 7, 8 pounds and being 250 pounds at weigh-ins. Now, I wake up in the morning, and I’m 234 pounds. That’s almost a 20-pound difference. Now it seems realistic. I’m lighter now than even when I was wrestling.”

Dropping a division would alleviate the possibility of Cormier being asked to fight teammate and friend Cain Velasquez, the UFC’s heavyweight champ. It would also open the possibility of facing Jon Jones, the UFC’s dominant light heavyweight champ who Cormier has said he has interest in facing.

First comes Mir, the highest-profile opponent of his career. But it seems Cormier has options in two divisions.

“I think I have to just get through this fight and then see what happens next,” Cormier said. “I’m going to fight with my heart and soul and give you everything I have to win this fight against Frank and continue to build to hopefully one day be the UFC champion.”

For more on UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Daniel Cormier Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC 215 lineup set with 2 title fights in Edmonton, including Demetrious Johnson's quest for record

The lineup is set for the UFC’s return trip to Canada next month, including a pair of title fights at the top of the bill. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with UFC Fight Night 119's Colby Covington

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 pm ET with guest Colby Covington, who fights Demian Maia at UFC Fight Night 119 in October.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

DWCS 8 results: Matt Frevola, Lauren Mueller punch their tickets to UFC with impressive wins

Undefeated lightweight Matt Frevola kept his record perfect with a second-round submission win over a previously unbeaten Luke Flores and securing a UFC contract in the process.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with Cynthia Calvillo, Fernando Gonzalez

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 pm ET with UFC strawweight contender Cynthia Calvillo and Bellator 182 winner Fernando Gonzalez.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC and Kitman Labs Launch Innovative Sports Science Program

UFC® and Kitman Labs® today announced a multi-year partnership to deliver an innovative sports science and medicine program to all athletes competing under the UFC banner as they visit the UFC Perfor read news >>

Reminder: Tickets on sale today for UFC 216 in Las Vegas; here's the latest card

As a reminder, tickets go on sale to the general public today for the UFC’s next “Sin City” pay-per-view: UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

How to watch UFC-Rotterdam today: Fight card, start time, online results, how to stream Volkov vs. Struve

The UFC returns to the Netherlands today with UFC Fight Night 115, and here’s how to watch the event from Ahoy Rotterdam.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC Fight Night 115 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at noon ET

UFC Fight Night 115 ceremonial fighter weigh-ins take place today. Watch a live stream here on MMAjunkie at noon ET.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC and FITE TV Announce Television Distribution Partnership | MMAWeekly.com

UFC, the world’s premier mixed martial arts organization, today announced a new digital partnership with combat sports network FITE TV. read news >>

UFC 215: Johnson vs Borg Fantasy Preview

In today's fantasy preview, we'll examine the two title fights and plenty more from this upcoming card to see who has the edge and who might be primed for an upset at UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg. Order read news >>