#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Fight Night Rotterdam #Michael Bisping #Darren Till #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson

alan-belcher-13.jpgOne year ago, middleweights Alan Belcher and Michael Bisping were considered two of the best 185-pound fighters in the UFC. After Saturday night, one of them will be further away from title contention than at almost any point in his career.

“You’re only as good as your last fight, and my last fight was a loss,” Bisping said. “I don’t take that too well, you know? I want to win fights. I’m a natural competitor. And, you know, a win over Alan Belcher puts me back in the win column.

“As I say, I get redemption for my last fight. It’s a win over a top 10 opponent.”

Bisping (23-5 MMA, 13-5 UFC) and Belcher (18-7 MMA, 9-5 UFC) meet in the co-headliner of Saturday’s “UFC 159: Jones vs. Sonnen” event at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The main card airs on pay-per-view (10 p.m. ET) after prelims on FX (8).

Bisping is widely considered the best MMA fighter England has produced. As the winner of “The Ultimate Fighter 3,” he has been a perennial UFC middleweight contender. Yet each time “The Count” has stood on the cusp of a title shot, he has fallen short, as he did in January with a TKO loss to Vitor Belfort.

Belcher, meanwhile, has battled through numerous injuries the last few years and finally seemed primed to break out. But a December loss to Yushin Okami ended his four-fight winning streak.

“We’re both coming off losses,” Belcher said. “We both have losses in our career, wins in our career, and now we’re going to see who the best is out of us two.”

Surprisingly, UFC 159's headlining matchup between light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and outspoken challenger Chael Sonnen has proved largely void of emotion.

That’s not the case in the co-feature. Bisping and Belcher have lobbed verbal jabs at each other for years.

Belcher suggested the tension, which has boiled over in recent weeks, would fuel his performance.

“It is emotional for me, and that’s when I perform at my highest,” Belcher said. “I have the most pressure on me. I’mthe most nervous for this fight ever. The only fights that I’ve ever lost are the fights that I wasn’t very excited for.”

That won’t be the case Saturday. Neither fighter can afford consecutive losses in the UFC’s increasingly talent-rich middleweight division, especially when both have a shot at division kingpin and longtime champion Anderson Silva as their ultimate goal. One only has to listen to Bisping to know what the contest means for both fighters.

“A win over me for Alan Belcher would be by far the biggest win of his pathetic career,” Bisping said. “I ain’t going to lose to you, man. It’s in the bag. It’s a formality. I’ve just got to show up, slap your little, take my check and go home.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Alan Belcher)

Galleries

Michael Bisping Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Watch today's UFC 217 press conference with Michael Bisping, Georges St-Pierre at 10 a.m. ET

MMAjunkie will be on the scene for today’s event with Dana White and the two headlining fighters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC cites 'medical concerns,' pulls Mark Hunt from UFC Fight Night 121 in favor of Fabricio Werdum

UFC officials today announced that Mark Hunt will no longer compete in the promotions’s return to Australia.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217 Extended Preview: Michael Bisping Has Been Racking Up Wins; What About Georges St-Pierre? | MMAWeekly.com

Take a deeper look into UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre, which features three world title fights. read news >>

Robbie Lawler vs. Rafael dos Anjos headlines UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

The UFC announced today that Robbie Lawler will take on Rafael dos Anjos in the headliner for UFC on FOX 26.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Shoves Michael Bisping After Enduring Insults at UFC 217 Press Confrence

Watch the UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre Toronto Press Conference video. read news >>

Champ Michael Bisping walks back retirement talk ahead of UFC 217 title defense

Despite previously stating otherwise, UFC champion Michael Bisping now says he won’t retire after UFC 217.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Georges St-Pierre, Michael Bisping Involved in Confrontation After UFC 217 Media

Georges St-Pierre confronted Michael Bisping during a heated face off at a media commitments for UFC 217. Per TMZ, St-Pierre warned the champion to keep his distance, as Bisping got too close in Toro read news >>

'TUF 25' winner Jesse Taylor accepts 1-year suspension for clomiphene

UFC anti-doping partner USADA today announced Jesse Taylor has accepted a one-year suspension after an out-of-competition drug test found clomiphene in his system.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217's Georges St-Pierre: No fight enhances my legacy more than Michael Bisping

Georges St-Pierre is returning competition at UFC 217 to make his already legendary resume inside the octagon even better.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Michael Bisping, GSP Get in Expletive Filled War of Words Backstage Following UFC 217 Presser | MMAWeekly.com

The heat is real between Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre read news >>