#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nick Diaz #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Quinton Jackson #Pancrase #Demetrious Johnson #Anderson Silva

glover-teixeira-13.jpgGlover Teixeira likes his odds against UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones. (In fact, you may be surprised just how heavily he favors himself if they were to fight.) But knowing the champ is likely to fight Alexander Gustafsson next, Teixeira discussed what other matchups pique his interest.

Teixeira, who’s won 19 consecutive fights overall and four straight since joining the UFC, awaits his next challenge following a first-round submission victory over James Te Huna this past month at UFC 160.

Teixeira (21-2 MMA, 4-0 UFC), who’s ranked No. 7 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA light-heavyweight rankings, knows he probably needs another win or two to get a crack at the belt, but if a Jones fight actually materialized?

“I am very confident,” he said this past weekend in Brazil. “If my next fight was against Jones, for sure I would go in to win. I give myself a 99 percent chance (of winning).”

But with fellow contender Gustafsson all but assured the bout, Teixeira is focusing elsewhere. One fight he’ll be watching closely? Saturday’s UFC 161 headliner between former big-show champs Dan Henderson and Rashad Evans. But Teixeira also still has his eye on Ryan Bader, who was scheduled to fight the Brazilian at UFC 160 before an injury forced Bader off the card.

Just don’t expect Teixeira to fight ex-champ Lyoto Machida.

“One of the top fighters is Ryan Bader,” Teixeira said. “I was going to face him, but he got hurt. It could still be my next fight.

“But there’s also the winner of Rashad vs. Dan Henderson. I hope it’s one of those guys. I would not fight against Lyoto. He’s a great friend. I wouldn’t even think about it. And Gustafsson? is further ahead. I think he’s next in line. So I think it’s those three (Bader, Evans or Henderson). Whatever comes our way, we’re feeling confident.”

In addition to Machida, Teixeira said there’s another 205-pounder he has no interest in fighting – but for very different reasons.

As Teixeira sees it, Chael Sonnen is a nice enough guy. He just doesn’t see the former UFC middleweight and light-heavyweight title challenger as being anywhere near the top of the division. Granted, Sonnen recently was booked for an August headliner with Mauricio Rua at UFC on FOX Sports 1 1 in Boston. But even if he were available, Teixeira said there’s little upside in fighting him.

“Chael Sonnen, in reality, I know him a bit,” he said. “He’s not that arrogant. He actually seems like a cool guy. I can’t say much because I don’t know him that well. But when I run into him at events, he’s very cool.

“He likes to talk a lot to sell his fights. I think he’s doing the right thing since he doesn’t fight so well. I do think he has good wrestling, but lately he hasn’t been fighting so well. And he had two shots at a belt because he talks a lot. I don’t think he’s a bad guy. If I fought him, he’d be tough to beat. But, right now, since he’s coming off two losses, I have zero interest in fighting him.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Jose Aldo)

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Glover Teixeira Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Daniel Cormier Still At Odds with Being Handed the UFC Belt Jon Jones Took From Him | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier understands and agrees with why he is once again the UFC light heavyweight champion. He just has a hard time reconciling it emotionally. read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier names Volkan Oezdemir as next title challenger

Daniel Cormier is moving on from Jon Jones and lining up his next fight. Apparently, he’s cutting out the UFC’s matchmaking middlemen too.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Jeff Novitzky Debunks Jon Jones Controversy | MMAWeekly.com

Following claims that he declared Jon Jones innocent, UFC exec Jeff Novitzky debunked the controversial reports. read news >>

Dana White: Jon Jones Could Have Been UFC Heavyweight Champion | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Dana White hasn't talked to former champ Jon Jones since his failed UFC 214 drug test, but believes Jones could have been the greatest ever. read news >>

Jason Knight says he's fighting Gabriel Benitez at UFC Fight Night 123 in Fresno

• a day ago

Fan favorite “Mississippi Mean” is headed to California.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar Explains Why His Style Will Give Max Holloway Problems at UFC 218 | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

From the moment Max Holloway landed the final punch to finish Jose Aldo in June to become featherweight champion, Frankie Edgar was waiting to get the first shot at the new king of the division. Edga read news >>

Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz targeted for UFC Fight Night 121

• a day ago

The UFC is targeting a do-over for Will Brooks and Nik Lentz at UFC Fight Night 121.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Will Brooks vs. Nik Lentz Expected to Be Rebooked for UFC Fight Night in Australia | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

A lightweight matchup between Will Brooks and Nik Lentz that was originally scheduled for UFC 216 is expected to get shifted to UFC Fight Night in Australia on Nov. 19. Sources close to the matchup c read news >>

Poland's Salim Touahri replaces Jim Wallhead vs. Warlley Alves at UFC Fight Night 118

• a day ago

Warlley Alves will stay on this week’s UFC card in Poland, and he’ll do so against a short-notice home-country replacement. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fighter Henry Cejudo Details Narrow Escape from NorCal Fires

• a day ago

Mixed martial arts fighter Henry Cejudo revealed he had to escape a burning hotel when he was caught in the middle of the wildfires that have spread across northern California. In an interview Monday read news >>