brendan-schaub-13.jpgThey were teammates on Rashad Evans‘ squad on “The Ultimate Fighter 10,” but Brendan Schaub (9-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and Matt Mitrione (6-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) are now acting a lot more like what they’re going to be next month: opponents.

The two recently got in a round of sparring on Twitter, with Mitrione making fun of Schaub’s recent appearances in grappling and MMA, and Schaub bringing Mitrione’s wife into the mix.

[email protected] looks like Adam Sandler f—ed Corky from ‘Life Goes On,’ Mitrione wrote.

“I might look like adam Sandler/corkey mix your wife when we did appearances together sure seemed to like it,” Schaub fired back. “How’s that going by the way?”

The heavyweights will answer for their words next month on the FX-televised preliminary card of UFC on FOX 8, which takes place July 27 at KeyArena in Seattle.

Mitrione got the ball rolling on Monday with a playful jab about his former teammate’s chin. He then took aim at Schaub’s recent appearance at the grappling competition Metamoris, which ended in a dreary decision loss to Roberto “Cyborg” Abreu, and his grinding win over Lavar Johnson at UFC 157.

“Planned parenthood should stop giving out birth control & start giving out copies of @BrendanSchaub ‘s 15 min. dry humping of Lavar Johnson,” Mitrione wrote.

“Someone asked me if @BrendanSchaub is married. Seriously? I saw his Jiu Jitsu match. How you gonna get married when you refuse to engage?” he continued.

Two months ago, Mitrione, who recently snapped a two-fight skid with a knockout of Phil De Fries, was suspended and fined for a transphobic rant against transgender fighter Fallon Fox and is expected to work with the LGBT community to make amends for his action.

Schaub is Mitrione’s first opponent since the incident and didn’t take kindly to the tweets.

“My man remember when you pissed your pants on TUF and you said fighting wasn’t for you. I do and Well it still isn’t,” he responded.

Schaub today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that things started getting tense between the two when Mitrione attended his recent appearance at Metamoris.

“I don’t know what’s going on,” Schaub said. “He came to my match, and it was a little bit weird. Yesterday, my buddy told me he was talking trash. So I got on there and there was some bulls–t, so I called him out, and we just took it from there.

“I think he’s upset because I crossed the line or something like that. He’s making fun of the way I look, and I said, ‘You’re wife doesn’t seem to mind.’ So I think he’s upset with it.”

Indeed, Mitrione seemed to take offense at the escalation.

“Nothing and I mean nothing pisses me of more than someone I considered a friend doing me dirty. I Gotchu @BrendanSchaub #BenedictArnold,” he wrote.

While Mitrione might have gotten a boost from the exchange, the skirmish isn’t providing any more motivation for Schaub, who recently snapped a two-fight skid with a decision win over Lavar Johnson at UFC 157.

“I don’t need any more fuel for the fire,” he said. “I’ve got work to do. Matt and his boy (former UFC heavyweight Sean) McCorkle sit around and come up with stuff to talk s–t about. I’m training for Matt. He’s just another opponent. I’m going to kill this dude.”

Mitrione, who was unreachable for comment, doesn’t sound convinced.

“Don’t count on seeing @BrendanSchaub on the Maury Povich show anytime soon. Cuz after we fight next month, he’ll know exactly who his dad is,” he wrote.

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Brendan Schaub)

Twitter reacts to Valentina Shevchenko’s submission of Pena, confrontation with Nunes at UFC on FOX 23

Valentina Shevchenko continued to thrive in the UFC women’s bantamweight division when she earned her second consecutive FOX-televised main event victory on Saturday at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: Fea read news >>

Twitter reacts to Chan Sung Jung's return KO of Dennis Bermudez at UFC Fight Night 104

The long-awaited UFC return of former featherweight title challenger Chan Sung Jung was a successful one on Saturday when “The Korean Zombie” defeated Dennis Bermudez in the UFC Fight Night 104 main read news >>

Twitter reacts to Francis Ngannou's KO of ex-champ Andrei Arlovski at UFC on FOX 23

A new contender was born in the UFC heavyweight division on Saturday when Francis Ngannou defeated Andrei Arlovski at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Holm vs. De Randamie: UFC 208 Odds, Predictions and Pre-Fight Twitter Hype

UFC 208 may not have the star power to sell a million pay-per-view buys, but it's a good card to watch if you're a diehard UFC fan. For the casual fan, there is no Conor McGregor, no Ronda Rousey and read news >>

Twitter reacts to Germaine de Randamie's title-winning victory over Holly Holm at UFC 208

History was made in Saturday’s UFC 208 main event when Germaine de Randamie became first UFC women’s featherweight champion when she defeated fellow striking specialist Holly Holm.Filed under: Featur read news >>

Fighters on Twitter Blast Germaine de Randamie's Controversial UFC 208 Title Win | MMAWeekly.com

Germaine de Randamie made history at UFC 208 on Saturday night, but two late strikes left many of her fellow fighters doubting her victory. read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Once more with feeling, Fedor; plus GSP's UFC return and more

Is Fedor Emelianenko the biggest “diva” in MMA history? Should Germaine de Randamie set her sights on the Invicta featherweight champ? Could Derrick Lewis be headed for a showdown with Francis Nganno read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Main event dead zone, women's featherweight rankings woes, and more

What's the next UFC main event worth getting really excited for? And does "Cyborg" Justino's history of failed drug tests mean we can't regard her as the best women's featherweight? All that and more read news >>

Twitter reacts to Jorge Masvidal's TKO of Donald Cerrone at UFC on FOX 23

Jorge Masvidal earned arguably the most significant victory of his UFC career on Saturday when he defeated Donald Cerrone in the UFC on FOX 23 co-main event.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Felice Herrig's upset of Alexa Grasso at UFC Fight Night 104

Marquee strawweight prospect Alexa Grasso was handed her first career loss on Saturday when she was beaten by Felice Herrig in the UFC Fight Night 104 co-main event at Toyota Center in Houston.Filed read news >>