Fresh off a disappointing outing against Melvin Guillard, Michael Johnson is aiming at a previous target: Nate Diaz.

“I’m not saying he’s scared, but he’s acting like he’s scared,” Johnson today told MMAjunkie Radio. “I don’t know if he’s seen or heard anything about me wanting to fight him, but where you at, Nate?

“We need to get this going.”

Johnson, who against Guillard earned his third straight win, isn’t ready to get it going just yet, mind you. After all, it’s merely been nine days since he took home a unanimous decision over “The Young Assassin” in a grudge match that failed to deliver fireworks.

A summer return, though, sounds right to the 27-year-old vet (15-8 MMA, 7-4 UFC). Rather than fight an opponent of equal position in the 155-pound class, he’s again targeting Diaz (17-9 MMA, 12-7 UFC), whom he previously called out on Twitter.

“I think he has a fight style that can’t compete with mine,” said Johnson. “I think my fighting style is better than his. He’s one of the guys that I want. If I beat him, it opens up a lot of doors for me, as opposed to sitting back and waiting or fighting guys that are the same rank. I want to fight the top guys in the division.”

Johnson first stumped for the Diaz fight after knocking out Gleison Tibau at UFC 168, but instead was called as a short-notice injury replacement for the injured Ross Pearson at UFC Fight Night 37.

“It feels really good to bounce back from those two losses in a row and to beat three guys,” he said. “That just shows me and its proof that all the hard work that I’m putting in is really starting to pay off now. We’re looking at bigger and better things, like old Nate Diaz if he ever steps up to the plate.”

Diaz remains unbooked after turning down a fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 170 when the promotion declined a request to renegotiate his contract. The fighter then made headlines by hinting he’d like to be released from his contract, a request which UFC President Dana White declined to offer.

While Johnson said both he and Diaz like to stand and trade punches, he isn’t at all worried about grappling with Diaz on the mat, where the brash young fighter has earned several submission wins.

“He’s not taking me down,” Johnson said. “His wrestling isn’t sharp enough to take me down. The only way we get on the ground is when I drop him and I jump on to finish him and I don’t. That’s the only way.”

And if Johnson gets the fight, he’d like it to be on the biggest stage possible.

“I would love to be the co-main event on a pay-per-view,” Johnson said. “Me and Nate Diaz doing that, that would be a good one.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to http://www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

UFC on FOX 23's Andrei Arlovski wasn't aiming for Francis Ngannou but isn't in business of picking opponents

DENVER – You get the sense UFC heavyweight Andrei Arlovski didn’t exactly want to fight Francis Ngannou. After all, a young, up-and-coming prospect offers little upside for a former champion fighting read news >>

Conor McGregor Comments on Nate Diaz's Conversation with Floyd Mayweather

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor has lashed out at rival Nate Diaz, criticising his former opponent for lending his support to retired boxer Floyd Mayweather. McGregor and Diaz faced off twice read news >>

UFC boss Dana White says Nate Diaz has fight offer – and Nick Diaz turned down a pair

HOUSTON – UFC President Dana White says he’s offered Nate Diaz a fight. Against whom, exactly, is anyone’s guess.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Derek Brunson full media scrum ahead of UFC 208

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Derek Brunson suffered a disappointing loss in his last trip to the octagon, but he’ll get a chance to earn redemption in a big way at UFC 208, taking on an MMA legend.Filed under: F read news >>

UFC 208's Dustin Poirier wonders if Nate Diaz wants to wait for Conor McGregor, or if he'll throw hands

UFC lightweight Dustin Poirier has to heal his leg after a “Fight of the Night” slugfest with Jim Miller at UFC 208. When he’s ready to return, though, he knows who he wants to fight. Filed under: Ne read news >>

Nate Diaz Wants to Box Because UFC Put Him on the Shelf | MMAWeekly.com

Nate Diaz recently applied for a boxing license because he is "being put on the shelf" by the UFC. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 winner Ricardo Lucas Ramos thankful for previous encounters with Dana White

One year after his first professional loss, an optimistic Ricardo Lucas Ramos celebrates a victorious UFC debut: “In a short time, I’ll be at the top of the (bantamweight) division.”Filed under: Feat read news >>

Nate Diaz Responds to Dana White's UFC Fight Offer | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White recently said that Nate Diaz had been offered a fight, and he was awaiting a response. It appears that he now has one. read news >>

Is 'Cyborg' Justino destined to be the Phantom of Brooklyn at UFC 208?

UFC 208 features a historic women’s title fight in the main event, but the story is as much about who isn’t there as who is. How will the UFC confront the situation while still aiming to sell us a fi read news >>

UFC 208: Head-to-Toe Breakdown for Holly Holm vs. Germaine De Randamie

The UFC crowns its first UFC women's featherweight champion this Saturday at UFC 208 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Competing for the title will be former UFC bantamweight champion Hol read news >>