#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Roy Nelson #Yushin Okami

chael-sonnen-35.jpgDespite suffering a devastating loss to UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones at this past weekend’s UFC 159 event, Chael Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) will continue his fighting career – and he’ll do it at 205 pounds.

Sonnen revealed his plans on Tuesday’s new edition of “UFC Tonight” while simultaneously calling out MMA legend Wanderlei Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC).

“I will definitely continue – and at 205 pounds, unless they come up with a catchweight,” Sonnen said. “They have a couple of people that do that. I know Rich Franklin has fought at catchweights a bunch, but I’m not going to be in contendership anytime soon, and neither is Rich Franklin or a pool of other guys. So there is a little bit of room where we could meet in the middle.

“Now that I’ve dropped Rich’s name, this wasn’t my way of challenging Rich. I was speaking to the point of the catchweight situation. I’m going to stick around.”

Sonnen said his decision to stay at light heavyweight was based on a lack of appropriate opponents at 185 pounds, as well as the benefit of not needing to cut weight to compete at 205 pounds.

“I’d rather give up the size but have a smile on my face.”

Sonnen said he wouldn’t completely rule out the idea of a return to middleweight if there’s a fight that makes sense in the class, for instance if Chris Weidman is able to unseat middleweight kingpin Anderson Silva at this summer’s UFC 162 event.

But for now, Sonnen’s immediate plans are to compete at light heavyweight. And if he could hand-pick his opponent, it would be against Wanderlei Silva, a man he’s openly bickered with in the past.

He’s called me out before, and I’ve called him out, but the fight never really made sense,” Sonnen said. “I was a contender, and he was just a guy on the card. Now I think the fight does make it a little more sense.

“I’m not leaving this sport. Whenever I get asked about retirement, I never say it, but I always think it: I’m not going anywhere until me and Wanderlei straighten this thing out once and for all.”

For more on the UFC’s schedule stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Chael Sonnen)

Galleries

Wanderlei Silva Fights

• 3 months ago

Chael Sonnen Fights

• 3 months ago

Comments

Did Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee's UFC Interim Title Fight Just Lose 10 Pounds? | MMAWeekly.com

A fight between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee has been booked for UFC 216. The bout is supposed to crown an interim UFC lightweight champion. According to a Las Vegas billboard, however, it appears the read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Neil Magny Result: Winner and Reaction from UFC 215

Rafael dos Anjos is here to stay at 170 pounds. Facing Neil Magny in the show's co-main event, the former lightweight champion put on an absolutely dominant performance, scoring a first-round submiss read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam results: Thibault Gouti picks up much-needed win in impressive fashion

After suffering a pair of first-round losses during a disappointing three-fight losing streak, Thibault Gouti earned some revenge.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch Mike Perry's devastating knee finish of Alex Reyes at UFC-Pittsburgh

Check out Mike Perry’s brutal knee knockout of Alex Reyes in the UFC Fight Night 116 co-main event in Pittsburgh.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch Yushin Okami Take Out Evan Tanner with a Devastating Knee (UFC KO of the Week) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Yushin Okami's impressive knockout of former UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner. read news >>

Stefan Struve on Instagram after UFC-Rotterdam TKO loss: 'Sometimes you get hammered'

Stefan Struve appears to be handling a devastating loss in front of his home country about as well as one could. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh bonuses: Mike Perry, Uriah Hall earn $50K for performances

Mike Perry won with a devastating knockout at UFC Fight Night 116 and pocketed an extra $50,000 for his effort.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Luke Rockhold Plans Move to Light Heavyweight After Daniel Cormier Retires | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold has some unfinished business in the UFC middleweight division, but it doesn't sound like the former champion plans on staying at 185 pounds that much longer. On Saturday night, Rockhold read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 Results: Luke Rockhold Wins Main Event via Submission

Luke Rockhold made a bold proclamation that he's back with a second-round submission of David Branch in the main event of UFC Fight Night 116 from PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh. The bout marked the read news >>

Mike Perry Earns Bonus for Quick KO (UFC Pittsburgh Fighter Bonuses) | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the winners of the fighter bonuses following Saturday's UFC Fight Night 116 event in Pittsburgh. Mike Perry, Gregor Gillespie, Jason Gonzalez, and Uriah H read news >>