alistair-overeem-ufc-169Alistair Overeem said there are a couple good reasons he turned down a proposed fight with fellow UFC heavyweight Junior dos Santos.

Wednesday’s edition of “UFC Tonight” reported that Overeem (37-13 MMA, 2-2 UFC) turned down a five-round fight ex-champ dos Santos (16-3 MMA, 10-2 UFC) in Brazil, as well as a potential three-rounder in Las Vegas. UFC President Dana White characterized it as the Dutchman “literally hiding” from dos Santos.

But Overeem, on vacation in Jamaica, recently defended himself on Twitter:

Overeem is fresh off a lopsided UFC 169 decision victory over Frank Mir. In the Feb. 2 pay-per-view co-headliner, Overeem didn’t put away the former champ, but he left little doubt about the win while posting winning 30-27 scores on all three judges’ cards.

It marked a successful turnaround for the 33-year-old Dutchman, who had suffered back-to-back knockout losses to Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva and Travis Browne in his previous two fights.

Prior to the skid, which put his UFC employment in jeopardy, the kickboxer had won 11 straight fights while picking up titles with Strikeforce and DREAM. That ultimately led to a UFC contract and a promotional-debut win over Brock Lesnar. However, a subsequent No. 1 contender’s bout with dos Santos in early 2012 was scrapped when Overeem failed a pre-fight drug test due.

Perhaps surprisingly, Overeem used his post-UFC 169 interview to call out Lesnar, who hasn’t fought since the duo’s first meeting in 2011. Lesnar, though, had been the subject of speculation about a potential return to the cage, which likely prompted Overeem’s callout. (After the event, White said Lesnar won’t be returning to the cage.)

With Overeem likely out of the mix, White didn’t give a Plan B for dos Santos’ next fight. The Brazilian most recently competed in October, when he failed to reclaim the title from reigning champion Cain Velasquez.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC on FOX 23's Francis Ngannou adds Cain Velasquez to hit list with Alistair Overeem, Junior Dos Santos

  • 28 days ago
  • 15 views

DENVER – After knocking out former UFC heavyweight champ Andrei Arlovski, Francis Ngannou listed Alistair Overeem and ex-champ Junior Dos Santos as two fighters he’d like to face next. Filed under: F read news >>

You can guess why UFC 209's Alistair Overeem is rooting for Junior Dos Santos at UFC 211

  • 17 days ago
  • 11 views

UFC heavyweight Alistair Overeem got within striking distance of the title before champ Stipe Miocic knocked him out at UFC 203. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

5 Reasons Why We Don't Need a UFC Women's Featherweight Title Fight... Yet | MMAWeekly.com

  • 15 days ago
  • 13 views

The UFC needs a women's featherweight division, but we don't quite need this title fight to happen on Saturday. read news >>

Jorge Masvidal says Demian Maia turned down fight. The good news? Neil Magny is his huckleberry

  • 24 days ago
  • 52 views

UFC President Dana White on Tuesday said after Nick Diaz turned down a rematch with ex-champ Robbie Lawler, he planned to make a fight between Diaz and welterweight contender Demian Maia.Filed under: read news >>

Demian Maia addresses Jorge Masvidal situation, explains why it's still UFC title shot or bust

  • 23 days ago
  • 26 views

On a lengthy Facebook post, contender Demian Maia addressed Jorge Masvidal’s comments and again made his case as to why he deserves to be the next title challenger for the UFC welterweight belt.Filed read news >>

Bec Rawlings Explains Failure to Make Weight at UFC Houston | MMAWeekly.com

  • 23 days ago
  • 33 views

The lone fighter to miss weight for UFC Fight Night 104, Bec Rawlings on Friday explained why she was unable to hit the mark. read news >>

Opening odds: Champ Stipe Miocic more than 2-1 favorite over Junior Dos Santos in UFC 211 rematch

  • 18 days ago
  • 8 views

Heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic has a four-fight winning streak since his most recent setback, which came to Junior Dos Santos a little more than two years ago. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Champ Stipe Miocic official for UFC 211 rematch vs. Junior Dos Santos; relive first fight inside

  • 18 days ago
  • 31 views

It’s official: Heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic will headline UFC 211 in Texas against former champ Junior Dos Santos in May. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Nick Diaz Turned Down Rematch with Robbie Lawler | MMAWeekly.com

  • 24 days ago
  • 51 views

UFC president Dana White offered Nick Diaz a fight against former welterweight champion Robbie Lawler and Diaz turned down the fight. read news >>

UFC boss Dana White says Nate Diaz has fight offer – and Nick Diaz turned down a pair

  • 22 days ago
  • 60 views

HOUSTON – UFC President Dana White says he’s offered Nate Diaz a fight. Against whom, exactly, is anyone’s guess.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>