UFC fighter Volkan Oezdemir has issued a statement through his management team following his recent arrest.
As MMAjunkie reported earlier today, Oezdemir was arrested Saturday in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and charged with aggravated battery causing bodily harm or disability.
Oezdemir’s manager, Frederic Englund, sent a statement to MMAjunkie in which the fighter and his team claim it’s the result of a “bar room altercation” in August in which the UFC light-heavyweight contender was “not the aggressor.”
Here’s the full statement:
“Volkan Oezdemir appeared in a Ft. Lauderdale, Florida courtroom Sunday morning in response to allegations from an incident in a Ft. Lauderdale bar on August 12, 2017. Mr. Oezdemir was accompanied by his attorney Bruce A. Zimet. Following a brief hearing (before) a Broward County Circuit judge, Mr. Oezdemir was granted a $10,000 bond during the pendency of his case. Mr. Zimet, a former federal prosecutor, described the incident that formed the basis of the case as nothing more than a bar room altercation in which Mr. Oezdemir, who was not the aggressor, was totally justified in all of his actions pursuant to Florida law.
“Mr. Oezdemir expressed his faith in the America judicial system and looks forward to all of the facts involved in the August 12, 2017 incident being made public. Mr. Oezdemir has full confidence that when the full picture is presented that he will be totally vindicated.”
Oezdemir (15-1 MMA, 3-0 UFC), a 28-year-old Switzerland native, has been training in South Florida with Combat Club, a team that formed in the wake of the general dissolution of the Blackzilians.
Earlier this month, UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier (19-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) told MMAjunkie that he and Oezdemir were close to finalizing a title fight. At the time, Cormier said the title bout likely would happen at the beginning of 2018.
In a statement, UFC officials said they’re aware of Oezdemir’s arrest and looking into it.
Check back with MMAjunkie for more details as they become available.
For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.view original article >>
UFC middleweight champion Georges St-Pierre has confirmed the disease that will keep him on the sidelines for the time being.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>
Georges St-Pierre recently issued a statement about his medical issues, confirming the news that Dana White revealed following the TUF 26 Finale. read news >>
Though Aljamain Sterling was knocked out cold at UFC Fight Night 123 on Saturday night in Fresno, Calif., it appears he is going to be okay. read news >>
Daniel Cormier will put his light heavyweight title on the line at UFC 220 in Boston when he faces Volkan Oezdemir on Jan. 20. Cormier announced the matchup via "UFC Tonight" on Wednesday. The fight read news >>
As expected, Daniel Cormier will face surging contender Volkan Oezdemir in the first defense of his second stint as UFC light heavyweight champ.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Dustin Poirier left a recent UFC headliner with a sore neck, but if it weren’t for Mike Brown, he could’ve left with a loss too.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>
MMA fighter Colby Covington said Monday his altercation with fellow fighter Fabricio Werdum started because of a sucker punch. During an appearance on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via Marc Raimon read news >>
A new featherweight title contender has emerged after Brian Ortega tapped out Cub Swanson with a nasty guillotine choke in his first UFC main event. Ortega had been considered a dark horse in the div read news >>
Volkan Oezdemir’s arrest for alleged battery is unlikely to have any bearing on his immediate fighting future.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Based on a hospital-bed picture, Gokhan Saki remains in good spirits despite his recent removal from next month’s UFC 219 card.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>