#UFC 220 #Francis Ngannou #Stipe Miocic #Daniel Cormier #Volkan Oezdemir #Bellator MMA #Rory MacDonald #Douglas Lima #Chael Sonnen #Quinton Jackson #Rob Font #Thomas Almeida #Calvin Kattar #Shane Burgos #Gian VIllante

UFC's Alexa Grasso undergoes knee surgery, still all smiles

UFC strawweight and perpetually upbeat Alexa Grasso is on the mend following a recent knee surgery.

Grasso (10-1 MMA, 2-1 UFC) fell out of the top 15 of the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA women’s strawweight rankings following a decision loss to Felice Herrig in February. She rebounded in August with a narrow split-decision win over Randa Markos in August, and the fight was a finalist for MMAjunkie’s “Fight of the Month.”

However, the 24-year-old Mexican fighter, who missed weight for the fight, revealed she had a knee injury going into the matchup, as she wrote on Instagram:

According to Grasso, an MRI revealed a “damaged” meniscus.

Here’s a full translation provided by MMAjunkie:

“Good morning. I hope that you had a great weekend. I have two pieces of news, one good and one bad. The bad one is that I have an injury in my knee. Before my last fight, I had pain. My camp passed, and so did my teammates in Mexico City. I came back, and I went to the therapist, but the pain persisted. They sent me to take an MRI, and it ended up being that the meniscus was damaged. It’s not so bad, but it was necessary to have surgery to avoid further damage. The good news is that at SportMed, Dr. Francisco Arroyo performed a very good surgery, and now I have to keep resting and have therapy.

“This is my face after the anesthesia. I am very well taken care of and ready to recuperate myself as soon as possible. Sending big hugs. Please send me good vibes.”

Grasso hadn’t been booked for an upcoming event, and her recovery time table isn’t known.

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

The Blue Corner is MMAjunkie‘s official blog and is edited by Mike Bohn.

Comments

John Lineker apologizes for UFC 219 withdrawal, hopes for quick return after emergency surgery

John Lineker is apologetic after he was forced to withdraw from a fight he “begged” for against Jimmie Rivera on Saturday at UFC 219.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Strawweight contenders Jessica Andrade, Tecia Torres meet at UFC on FOX 28

A key strawweight bout between Jessica Andrade and Tecia Torres is the latest addition to February’s UFC on FOX 28 lineup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 219 results: Ex-champ Carla Esparza hands Cynthia Calvillo first career loss in upset

Former strawweight champion Carla Esparza handed Cynthia Calvillo the first loss of her professional career.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 219 Medical Suspension Puts Holly Holm on Sidelines for 3 Months | MMAWeekly.com

Holly Holm is on the sidelines for the next few months following her loss to Cris Cyborg at UFC 219. read news >>

MMAjunkie '2017 Upset of the Year': Thug Rose! Thug Rose! Thug Rose!

“Thug” Rose Namajunas rose above taunts and distractions to dethrone UFC women’s strawweight champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk in the MMAjunkie “2017 Upset of the Year.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Jessica Penne gets 18-month suspension for unspecified steroid

UFC anti-doping partner USADA today announced women’s strawweight Jessica Penne has accepted an 18-month suspension for an unspecified steroid.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Johnson saw his spot in the UFC-St. Louis lineup ... and was pissed

St. Louis native Michael Johnson is on the show at UFC-St. Louis – but not on the main card. And he’s none too happy about it.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, News read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson undergoes successful shoulder surgery

Demetrious Johnson underwent successful shoulder surgery to fix some lingering damage that needed to be “cleaned up.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Mike Perry, Max Griffin announce UFC on FOX 28 matchup

Mike Perry officially is on the comeback trial after a high-profile setback against Argentinian Santiago PonzinibbioFiled under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Flyweight Champ Demetrious Johnson Undergoing Surprise Shoulder Surgery

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson on Wednesday made a surprise announcement, revealing that he was about to undergo surgery. read news >>