SAN ANTONIO – In the wake of news announcing another failed drug test for three-time title challenger Chael Sonnen, the UFC released a statement largely mirroring its previous responses to high-profile failures.
The industry-leading promotion deferred the matter to the state athletic commission which oversaw the test – in this case the Nevada State Athletic Commission – and said it would take its own measures to stamp out the use of banned substances.
“We were made aware that a second random test, conducted earlier this month, resulted in a positive test for additional banned substances,” said a statement read by Dave Sholler, the UFC’s Senior Director of Public Relations, at the post-event news conference for UFC Fight Night 44 in San Antonio. “Chael will have the opportunity to appear in front of the Nevada athletic commission next month, and through a statement released to media tonight, he’s pledged to cooperate.
“Our stance on the subject remains absolutely the same: We support the commission and we will continue to ensure that all UFC competitors compete on an even playing field, free of performance-enhancing drugs and banned substances.”
This past week, Sonnen was flagged for four banned substances – human growth hormone (HGH), recombinant human erythropoietin, anastrozole and human chorionic gonadotropin – in a second random drug test ordered by the NSAC for his scheduled fight with Vitor Belfort at UFC 175. Sonnen came up positive for another pair of banned substances, anastrozole and human chorionic gonadotropin, in his first test conducted in late May.
Following the first failure, Sonnen was yanked from the July 5 pay-per-view event and Belfort, who replaced original opponent Wanderlei Silva after the ex-PRIDE champ evaded a random test, was scratched altogether from the card.
In a statement to MMAFighting, which first reported the test failure, Sonnen said the NSAC was aware of “other prescribed medications” he was taking and pledged cooperation with the commission. Next month, the NSAC will address his case during a hearing.
“I will cooperate with the Commission and look forward to having a dialogue about how fighters who transition off TRT can avoid violating any rules,” Sonnen wrote in the statement.
view original article >>
Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight superstar Anderson Silva has revealed he won't sight at UFC 212 in Rio De Janeiro on June 3 after scheduled opponent Kelvin Gastelum failed a drug test. Th read news >>
Ricardo Abreu already was serving a suspension for a failed drug test when he got notice of a second potential anti-doping violation earlier this year.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
A dominant win for strawweight Cortney Casey at UFC 211 is no more.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier went off on rival Jon "Bones" Jones on Wednesday in an exclusive interview with TMZ. Cormier said Jones wasn't a good guy and ripped him for his past leg read news >>
In the midst of announcing their UFC Fight Night headliner, Michael Chiesa and Kevin Lee came to blows during the UFC 2017 Summer Kickoff Press Conference. read news >>
Following the April 6 removal of Kelvin Gastelum from his UFC 212 bout against Anderson Silva, UFC officials attempted to find a replacement to meet Silva on June 3. However an opponent was not read news >>
Go Beyond the Fight with Chael Sonnen as he breaks down tonight's UFC 211 fight card. read news >>
UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier has shown time and time again that, when it comes to trash talk, Jon Jones’ troubled past with drugs is fair game. Did he just cross the line?Filed under read news >>
Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino provided a statement on her official Facebook page regarding her physical altercation with Angela Magana at the UFC Athlete Retreat in Las Vegas this past weekend. Cyborg a read news >>
Less than 24 hours after announcing a women's flyweight champion would be crowned this year, UFC officials are putting the idea back in the box. read news >>