#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Donald Cerrone #Robbie Lawler #Cormier vs. Jones 2 #Anderson Silva

Kevin Burns and Chris Lytle go toe-to-toe at the TUF 9 finale

Kevin Burns and Chris Lytle go toe-to-toe at the TUF 9 finale

This Sunday night, Chris “Lights Out” Lytle (30-18-5) will make his twentieth appearance in the Octagon when he meets Dan “The Outlaw” Hardy (23-9) in the main event for UFC on Versus 5 in Milwaukee.

Since Lytle’s UFC debut in 2000 at UFC 28, the Indianapolis native has had mixed success in facing some of the sport’s finest athletes.  However, it is his fighting spirit, matched with his crowd-pleasing style and determination that has captivated UFC audiences for over a decade.

With Lytle’s exciting style of brawling and his British counterpart’s style of striking, it’s no secret that this fight has all the potential to be the fight of the night.  The UFC quickly recognized the potential for excitement, and decided that this fight would be best suited as the main event.

“That’s about as big a compliment as they can give me,” Lytle told MMAWeekly Radio.

“They appreciate the way I’ve been fighting, they appreciate my style and what I’ve been doing.  You know they’re going to trust that the last fight on the card that people want to see it.  That tells me that they know that people like the way I fight, they appreciate it and I’m honored to be in that spot.”

The Indianapolis native has spoken with his UFC on Versus 5 opponent previously and, while the two will fight hard against one another, each has a great mutual respect for the other.

“When he told me he wanted to fight me, he was very respectful about everything.  I understand it’s not necessary for him to go out and make a big statement about this.  From what I understand he wants to fight, he wants a good kind of fight, and fight the right kind of way.  He thinks I’m going to give it to him and I’m going to.”

Lytle recalled Hardy being frustrated in his last defeat because he could not get out from underneath Anthony Johnson and felt sympathetic to his British opponent.  The veteran has felt that same kind of difficulty in his career and has promised Hardy that he will get a chance to stand and trade.

“The impression that I get from the way he talks is that he didn’t like his last fight because he didn’t really get to fight, he got held down, and he just really wanted to put on a good show.  He wanted to throw down and it didn’t happen, so he was disappointed with that.

“I’ve been there, I know that frustration.  I feel like if I do my job, I’ll give him the fight that he deserves and that’s what I plan on doing.  So I feel pretty confident he’ll just let it all out there and fight.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more UFC and MMA news, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee at UFC 216

Check out UFC analysts Dan Hardy and John Gooden with their breakdown of the UFC 216 main event between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Hardy, Gooden break down Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg at UFC 216

Check out UFC analysts Dan Hardy and John Gooden with their breakdown of the UFC 216 co-main event between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie rankings, Oct. 3: Who deserves the next shot at Conor McGregor?

At Saturday’s UFC 216 event, an interim UFC lightweight champion will be crowned. But is that person the one that deserves to challenge for the undisputed belt?Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, Ne read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Deserves Seven-Figure Payday to Move Up for Superfight

At UFC 216, Demetrious Johnson became the most successful champion in UFC history. By defeating Ray Borg via suplex armbar, Johnson notched his 11th title defense, breaking the record set by Anderson read news >>

Dana White Claims He's Only Saving Mark Hunt from Himself | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White says he yanked Mark Hunt from UFC Fight Night headliner to save him from himself. read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: UFC's decision to sideline Mark Hunt against his will is a tricky one

Can the UFC sideline a fighter for writing about symptoms of brain trauma? What precedent does that set? That and more in Twitter Mailbag.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre Toronto Press Conference Live Stream | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre Toronto Press Conference Live Stream on MMAWeekly.com. read news >>

Champ Tyron Woodley responds to Rafael dos Anjos' interim title plea for Robbie Lawler fight

An interim title for Rafael dos Anjos vs. Robbie Lawler? UFC champ Tyron Woodley isn’t having it.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: Pulling Mark Hunt from UFC Sydney Was to Protect Him from Himself

UFC President Dana White told TMZ Sports on Thursday the company decided to remove Mark Hunt from its event in Sydney next month as a medical precaution. "Sometimes, you gotta protect these guys from read news >>

Gegard Mousasi enjoying added freedom with Bellator after 'hard road' with UFC

Gegard Mousasi has yet to make his Bellator debut, but already he has glowing reviews for the promotion opposed to his run with the UFC.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>