#Bellator 179 #UFC 211 #Conor McGregor #Rory MacDonald #Paul Daley #Nate Diaz #Hayder Hassan #Dhiego Lima #Joanna Jedrzejczyk #Diaz vs. McGregor 2 #Jon Jones #Demian Maia #Stipe Miocic #Jessica Andrade #Junior Cigano

Renan Barao is not one to rest on his laurels.

Only moments after dispatching hard-punching challenger Michael McDonald in the main event of UFC on Fuel TV 7, the interim bantamweight champion wished sidelined titlist Dominick Cruz a speedy return to the cage for a unification bout.

“I wish Dominick a quick recovery so that he can come and give a great fight to the public,” Barao (Pictured, file photo) told Fox Sports. “I will train very hard. I’m very much looking forward to this fight. I want to give a good show, and I’m going to beat him.”

While that fight is undoubtedly one that both fans and UFC brass would love to see, Cruz’s return does not appear to be a guarantee. “The Dominator” has not competed since October 2011, suffering a torn ACL last summer ahead of his rubber match with rival Urijah Faber. After going under the knife to repair the tear, the champion sustained another setback this past December when it was learned that his body had rejected a replacement cadaver tendon. Cruz underwent another surgery on his ACL, and his timetable for return is currently set between six and 12 months.

Regardless of whether Cruz makes it back to the Octagon for a showdown with Barao, few could argue against the Brazilian being worthy of such a challenge. Barao has not lost in nearly seven years, racking up five UFC wins to his credit thus far. On Saturday night, the Nova Uniao standout added to his enormous winning streak by taking out the heavy-handed McDonald at Wembley Arena in London, using his diverse striking skills to stifle the American’s formidable power-punching attack before snatching a fourth-round arm-triangle choke to retain his title.

“I feel great. I worked very hard for that with all of my teammates at Nova Uniao in Rio de Janeiro. That’s the result of long days of work,” said Barao. “I had to work on my counters. I knew he had a very hard right hand, so I followed the instructions from my corner, and it worked out fine.”

Though McDonald managed to sting Barao in the first round with a series of right hands and remained dangerous throughout the majority of the four-round affair, Barao declined to name “Mayday” his toughest opponent after their battle. While Barao complimented the young gun for his abilities, the interim champion remains fully focused on his next challenge.

“There is no doubt that he’s a very young, talented and tough guy, but all my fights were very tough in the past,” said Barao. “He’s just another opponent that I had to encounter. I believe my toughest fight is going to be the next one.”

Dominick Cruz: ‘I’d Like to Come Back and Fight for the Title’ | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz wants to fight the winner of Cody Garbrandt and TJ Dillashaw, and believes that he's earned the right to do so. read news >>

Dominick Cruz Blames Team Alpha Male Feud with TJ Dillashaw on Urijah Faber | MMAWeekly.com

When TJ Dillashaw, the UFC bantamweight champ at the time, left Team Alpha Male to train with former head coach Duane Ludwig in 2015, it sparked off a rivalry. read news >>

After 2-fight featherweight experiment, UFC's Renan Barao reportedly heading back to bantamweight

After a two-fight run as a featherweight, former bantamweight champion Renan Barao appears to be ready to move back to 135 pounds. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The UFC wished Al Iaquinta happy birthday, and the replies were absolutely priceless

F-bombing your boss isn’t generally recommended as the wisest career choice, but for Al Iaquinta, it seems to be working out just fine.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Matt Hamill Wins First Fight in 5 Years in Devastating Fashion (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC veteran Matt Hamill won his first fight in nearly five years this weekend, and he did so in devastating fashion. read news >>

Heavyweight champ Daniel Gallemore believes Victory FC 57 win could get him in the UFC

It’s a common story among fighters for major mid-level promotions: One more win, and there’s a good chance I’m getting the call.Filed under: News read news >>

Tyson Nam Takes Out Ali Bagautinov at the Bell (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Tyson Nam took out former UFC flyweight title contenders Ali Bagautinov over the weekend at the last possible moment. read news >>

WSOF Full-Fight Flashback: Marlon Moraes vs. Miguel Torres | MMAWeekly.com

Marlon Moraes is headed to the UFC, but faced former WEC world champion Miguel Torres at the inaugural WSOF1 on November 3, 2012, in Las Vegas. read news >>

Dana White Couldn't Be a Bigger Believer in New UFC Owner | MMAWeekly.com

When UFC former owners sold the fight promotion in July 2016 for $4.2 billion to WME–IMG, the promotion's longtime president, Dana White, was distraught. read news >>

Full fight video: Watch new UFC Hall of Famer Maurice Smith win the heavyweight title in 1997

Twenty years ago, the sport of MMA was still very much in its infancy. Maurice Smith is the man widely recognized for proving the value of high-level striking in the cage.Filed under: Featured Videos read news >>