Jeff Curran WEC 40Team Curran leader Jeff Curran will go into UFC on Fuel TV 3 striving to get his first win in the Octagon in Virginia.  Curran will meet Nova Uniao’s Johnny Eduardo, a veteran of the sport who is also looking for his first UFC win.

The veteran has seen his ups and downs in the sport. In his last fight, he lost a decision to bantamweight contender Scott Jorgensen. Coming out of that fight with Jorgensen, Curran has new motivation in life, to lead by example and show his students how it’s done.

Now heading into the Patriot Center, Curran isn’t at all impressed with Eduardo’s 25-9 record. The 34-year-old believes that Eduardo has had an easy path to the UFC and makes no secret about how he feels that Eduardo’s record was padded.

“He’s tough no doubt, I respect him a lot, but I don’t let the record get to me,” Curran told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I’ve had those moments a few times in my career where I was on those kind of rolls.  But he was fighting a lot of guys that only had a couple of fights that are like 1-2, 0-3, 0-4, and 6-7 and a lot his crazy record was on Shooto Brazil, which is owned by Andre Pederneiras (Eduardo’s coach).  He built himself properly and maybe took the wrong road to get to the UFC.

“I don’t discount him at all.  I’m thinking anything can happen in this fight as far as how he’s going to approach me, so I’ll be just as ready for him to shoot a double on me as I am for him to try and kick my leg off.  I respect him.  I’m prepared for him and I’m ready to meet him in the middle and show the UFC and the fans that this is how I fight, this is what I’ve always done and I’m not changing.”

Make no mistake about it, Curran is taking Eduardo seriously.  Curran has prepared for a tough fight, but he’s seen it time and time again where a fighter has faced easier competitors to build a long resume.

“Believe me, I’ve researched every fight of his going back two to three years, not to study the actual fight, but to see who they are and to who they lost to and try to find footage of the people he’s fought.  There wasn’t a whole lot of impressive guys.  Not that there wasn’t some key guys that made Johnny Eduardo world known. There’s definitely got to be those elements in there where he fight the good named guys.”

At the end of the day, Curran isn’t wrong about the Nova Uniao pupil’s record as seven of Eduardo’s last 11 opponents have subpar records.  And Come fight time, Curran has prepared for a well-disciplined attack for a dangerous opponent and hopes to foil Eduardo’s plans.

“It’s no different than a boxer building their record.  They knock everyone out for their first 30 fights and once they start fighting top contender fights and every one goes to a split decision once that bar gets raised.  When Aldo fights high-level guys like you see in UFC Brazil, he fights different.  Every time he fights somebody that’s dangerous, he fights them different.  It’s been a pretty good pattern for me to study and I’m hoping to continue that pattern and exploit whatever it is I see.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my progress since first loss

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at read news >>

Demian Maia Issues Statement on Waiting for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Demian Maia believes he is next in line for a UFC welterweight title shot and is willing to wait for it. read news >>

Jacare Souza Believes Luke Rockhold is Avoiding Him, Remains Focused on the Belt (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jacare Souza believes Luke Rockhold is avoiding him and knows he has a tough fight with Tim Boetsch ahead, but he remains focused on a UFC title shot. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

UFC champ de Randamie believes hand surgery inevitable, responds to Holm, 'Cyborg'

On a media teleconference Thursday, Germaine de Randamie discussed the likelihood of hand surgery and responded to criticism from both Holly Holm and “Cyborg” Justino.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my process since first loss

DENVER – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at UFC on FO read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yair Rodriguez believes Penn win has him creeping closer to UFC featherweight title shot

HOUSTON – After his brutal beatdown of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn a few weeks ago, Yair Rodriguez can admit just taking the fight put him in a no-win situation. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Rafael dos Anjos considering Robbie Lawler, Nick Diaz for first welterweight fight

Rafael dos Anjos believes he’s earned the right to jump right into UFC title contention in the welterweight division.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105's Reginaldo Vieira believes he can still go far

Mixed martial artists tend to not get better as they get older. It’s just how things work. But don’t tell that to Reginaldo Vieira.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>