#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #Quinton Jackson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Rizin 7 #Michael Bisping

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has come a long way in just a few years.

After climbing up through the regional ranks and fighting in casinos and other small venues, he’s set to headline UFC on Fox 6 on Jan. 26 against John Dodson. Ahead of the matchup, he joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “The Jordan Breen Show” to discuss Dodson, seeing himself in Fox commercials and more.

On discussion focusing on whether fans will watch the fight instead of how entertaining the fight could be: “That doesn’t bother me at all because at the end of the day, it doesn’t change anything for me. I’m just going to go out there and fight and do my thing. Just because people don’t care about it or don’t want to watch it does not change how I view my fights or how I train for my fights. It does not bother me one bit. I’m very excited to fight on Fox, on a huge platform.”

On whether it’s surreal seeing himself in commercials on Fox: “It’s strange. Don’t get me wrong: It is strange. I don’t take it for granted. I’m very happy. I had a long road to get to where I’m at and I don’t take it for granted. It’s awesome that they’re giving me the limelight. I don’t try to get used to it. I just stay focused and keep on training and remember what got me there.”

On whether fans in the Seattle area realize Johnson lives there: “I think they don’t realize that I live here and they have a champion here. That doesn’t bother me. They don’t need to know that I’m here. I like to just keep on fighting and take care of my family.”

On living a simple life: “I don’t try to get my mind wrapped up in this. ‘Oh man, I’m the champ,’ and all that stuff, and ‘I’m going to go out and get some money and get alcohol.’ That’s just not who I am. I’m a simple guy that just likes to train and go home and get ready for the next one. Regardless of what happens in this fight against John Dodson, nothing’s going to change. I’m going to go home and get ready for the next fight and get after whoever’s next.”

On Dodson sometimes fighting aggressively and sometimes being evasive: “John Dodson’s a great challenger. I’m looking forward to what he brings to the table in this fight, and we’re going to be prepared to fight whatever John Dodson shows up, whether it’s the predator one or the one that wants to run on the bicycle or whatever. I think he’s a great athlete, a great fighter and we’re just looking forward to taking it to him.”

On Dodson’s left hook: “Since he’s a southpaw, his left hand is going to be his prime weapon, but he has a lot of weapons. He has great knees, great kicks and a lot of other great stuff that he probably hasn’t displayed yet.”

On whether he feels pressure to do something extra special in this fight because he is a headliner: “Not at all. My job is to fight. Regardless of if this wasn’t a title fight or if this was a Facebook prelim or whatever, I’m still going to treat it as the same. I’m going to do my thing and fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:46:52).

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Robbie Lawler vs. Rafael dos Anjos headlines UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

The UFC announced today that Robbie Lawler will take on Rafael dos Anjos in the headliner for UFC on FOX 26.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Galore Bofando vs. Chad Laprise among additions to UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

With the main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg now set, the card below it continues to build. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 'Fight Motion:' Check out Demetrious Johnson's insane armbar in super slo-mo

The UFC’s latest edition of “Fight Motion” is out, and in it we can see just how amazing flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson’s finish was.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Zach Makovsky doesn't have plan beyond ACB 72 headliner vs. Yoni Sherbatov

Former UFC veteran and Bellator champion Zach Makovsky isn’t sure what his fighting future holds.Filed under: News, Radio, Videos read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas rematch co-headlines UFC on FOX 26; Perry-Ponzinibbio, Mein-Silva added

A featherweight rematch from a past title fight has been booked as the co-main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg in December.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Even in super slo-mo, Demetrious Johnson's UFC 216 finish is pretty unfathomable

Slow it down all you want, Demetrious Johnson’s incredible submission of Ray Borg at UFC 216 still blows the mind.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Deserves Seven-Figure Payday to Move Up for Superfight

At UFC 216, Demetrious Johnson became the most successful champion in UFC history. By defeating Ray Borg via suplex armbar, Johnson notched his 11th title defense, breaking the record set by Anderson read news >>

Dana White Claims He's Only Saving Mark Hunt from Himself | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White says he yanked Mark Hunt from UFC Fight Night headliner to save him from himself. read news >>

Champ Demetrious Johnson breaks down 'Mighty Armbar,' reveals potential knee injury

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson used his opponent’s fighting philosophy against him to break the all-time title defense record at UFC 216.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ray Borg: 'Sneaky' UFC champ Demetrious Johnson was like 'fighting my future self'

Ray Borg was humble in defeat following his wild submission loss to UFC champ Demetrious Johnson at UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>