#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Bellator MMA #Kristina Williams #Heather Hardy #UFC Fight Night 118 #Neiman Gracie #Zak Bucia #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Conor McGregor

Jay Hieron at Strikeforce 16“What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger” -Friedrich Nietzsche

Jay Hieron has undergone a tremendous amount of adversity heading into his return to the Octagon at UFC on FX 5 on Friday night.

After dealing with cancelled shows, organizations going bankrupt, title shots that weren’t delivered, and losing a controversial decision to Bellator champion Ben Askren, Hieron finally has some momentum in his favor.

Even though UFC 151 was cancelled, luck went to Hieron’s side.  Hieron now has almost a full training camp when he rematches Jake Ellenberger on Friday, and he feels that it’s the perfect opponent to return against.

“He was tough back then but he got better but so have I,” Hieron told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I’ve grown as a fighter and that was a long time ago.  I got a world developed.  I’m a fighter who capitalized on the time off from my career and everything I went through.

“If they could say what you wanted to do and give me the option; I would say that this fight right here is a perfect opportunity, perfect way to come back in, I feel.  This is the road I want to take.  I feel like I’m ready for any fighter in the UFC in the division.  That’s great; why don’t we start with one of the toughest guys?”

Since Ellenberger and Hieron’s days in the IFL, Ellenberger emerged as one of the premier welterweights in the world.  For Hieron, that’s exactly the kind of fighter he wants to face in his return and he wouldn’t have it any other way

As the 36-year-old closes in on UFC on FX 5, he wants to write a new chapter in his life and show all the Minnesotans at the Target Center how he’s grown as a fighter.

“I’m at a point in my life where my main focus is fighting.  I’ve been through a lot of things in my life outside of fighting.  Going through a divorce and contract stuff and everything else that I let get to me a little bit, but you know, you grow as a person, you grow as a human being.

“It’s always a learning process.  I always keep my glass half-empty because there’s always something to learn and I feel like I still have more to learn, but I feel this is my time right now.  But I feel like there wouldn’t be a more perfect time for me to come back to the UFC.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your UFC on FX 5 fight coverage.

Comments

UFC 216 results: Poliana Botelho outworks takedown-hungry Pearl Gonzalez for decision sweep

Pearl Gonzalez wanted takedowns throughout. She couldn’t get them, and Poliana Botelho made her pay.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Henry Cejudo details escape from California wildfires: I was 'literally in a ring of fire'

Henry Cejudo feels grateful to be alive after jumping from his second-floor hotel window to escape raging wildfires.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Bisping convinced he's getting to the former champ, GSP is amused

At Friday morning's UFC 217 press conference in Toronto, Canada, UFC champion Michael Bisping said he can tell he's getting to Georges St-Pierre with all of his trash talk. The former UFC champ is am read news >>

Borrachinha sees Hendricks as the first big step towards a title shot

Paulo Borrachinha is preparing for only his third UFC fight, but the responsibility is the same as that of a more established fighter in the organization, as he faces former champion Johny Hendricks read news >>

Aldo's return one of three bouts added to Winnipeg card

The UFC's first featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, begins his road back to the top of the weight class on Dec. 16 when he faces surging contender Ricardo "The Bully" Lamas in a rematch of a 2014 bout read news >>

Dana White Separates Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre in Toronto (UFC 217 Face-Off) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is on a mission to crawl under the skin of Georges St-Pierre. It will have been four years since St-Pierre last fought when he enters the O read news >>

Dana White Wants Tougher Anti-Doping Penalties, but 'It's Not That Simple' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White agrees with the likes of Michael Bisping and Mark Hunt, who are calling for tougher anti-doping violation sanctions. read news >>

Zach Makovsky doesn't have plan beyond ACB 72 headliner vs. Yoni Sherbatov

Former UFC veteran and Bellator champion Zach Makovsky isn’t sure what his fighting future holds.Filed under: News, Radio, Videos read news >>

Tony Ferguson responds to Conor McGregor with perfect(ly odd) 'Grand Theft Auto' video on Twitter

Tony Ferguson’s video in response to UFC champion Conor McGregor might just blow your mind.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Is CM Punk's return to UFC imminent? He's apparently training like it is

What are the chances CM Punk fights in the UFC before the end of the year?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>