TJ Waldburger at UFC Fight Night 24“Chess is not for the timid soul.”

~Wilhelm Steinitz

UFC welterweight prospect TJ Waldburger is a fearless soul when he steps into the Octagon.

Known for his aggressive style, Waldburger impressed UFC execs with two back-to-back first-round submissions over Jake Hecht and Mike Stumpf.  The win over Stumpf back in September opened the eyes of the MMA world and Waldburger was also awarded a Submission of the Night bonus.

Now, heading into UFC on FX 4, the 24-year-old still has that mindset of high risk for high reward. Waldburger expects that he will continue to play a calculated, but aggressive submission attack against Brian Ebersole on Friday.

“That’s something that I’ve just developed that’s part of the game,” Waldburger told MMAWeekly Radio.

“It’s like chess, sometimes I have to lose a few pieces to get what I want and that’s just a part of the game that I like to play.  Sometimes it’s more lay and pray and sometimes you just got to go right in.  Yeah, sometimes you got to take those risks and put yourself in a bad spot because the outcome will put you on top.

“I want to win the fight; I don’t want to go the distance.  I want to see the crowd and I want to end with fashion.  To me, going the distance isn’t winning because in a true, real fight, it’s going to go on until somebody dies.  So I want to finish; I want to know that I had him not only for myself but to please the crowd as well.  That’s always my mindset when I go in, is to finish and like I said sometimes you have to take those risks.

Having gone through all the preparations, the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu brown belt knows he won’t take any satisfaction in a decision win over the veteran Ebersole.

Come Friday night, Waldburger expects that he and Ebersole will go out in a blaze of glory and that no matter what happens, the two will be the highlight of the night.

“Brian is a well-seasoned veteran of the sport, he’s good in all aspects so he can go anywhere and I think he takes risks too.  I think as far as two well-rounded guys who take risks is going to be an exciting fight.  I think it’s going to be the highlight of the card for sure.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Demian Maia Issues Statement on Waiting for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Demian Maia believes he is next in line for a UFC welterweight title shot and is willing to wait for it. read news >>

Jacare Souza Believes Luke Rockhold is Avoiding Him, Remains Focused on the Belt (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jacare Souza believes Luke Rockhold is avoiding him and knows he has a tough fight with Tim Boetsch ahead, but he remains focused on a UFC title shot. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

UFC champ de Randamie believes hand surgery inevitable, responds to Holm, 'Cyborg'

On a media teleconference Thursday, Germaine de Randamie discussed the likelihood of hand surgery and responded to criticism from both Holly Holm and “Cyborg” Justino.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dan Hardy believes UFC return could be near: 'Confident I have paperwork' that clears me

LONDON — If Dan Hardy has his way, he’ll be fighting inside the octagon before the end of 2018, explaining to MMAjunkie that a team of the United Kingdom’s best cardiologists have now cleared him to read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Rafael dos Anjos considering Robbie Lawler, Nick Diaz for first welterweight fight

Rafael dos Anjos believes he’s earned the right to jump right into UFC title contention in the welterweight division.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105's Reginaldo Vieira believes he can still go far

Mixed martial artists tend to not get better as they get older. It’s just how things work. But don’t tell that to Reginaldo Vieira.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Adam Townsend Believes Road to the UFC Runs Through LFA 5 | MMAWeekly.com

For his first fight of 2017, Adam Townsend makes his Legacy Fighting Alliance debut against Marcus Edwards in a 155-pound main event on Friday. read news >>

Marcus Edwards Believes LFA 5 Victory Puts Him at the UFC's Door | MMAWeekly.com

Marcus Edwards has a tough fight ahead of him at Friday's LFA 5 in Colorado, but believes a win puts him at the UFC's doorstep. read news >>