#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #UFC 215

For the past two years, Dan Miller has had a dark storm cloud hanging above his head.  From his baby boy developing a cyst on his kidney, to the piling up hospital bills, and going 2-4 in his last six bouts in the UFC.

After losing to Rousimar Palhares at UFC 134 in August and struggling with guilt from training while his son is hospitalized, Miller needed time away from the sport to get his mind right.

Now, after getting support from the MMA community, the UFC, and his family, Miller is starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  His son is soon about to be the recipient of a kidney transplant, and professionally Miller feels rejuvenated at welterweight.

“Coming off of that fight it was disappointing and everything and then the whole thing with Danny getting sick,” Miller told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I almost felt burnt out.  I wasn’t sure what I was going to do but kind of making this change, and setting the goal of okay I’m going to go to 170 to try to make a run at this.  I’m only getting older and my time is shortening with all these young kids coming in.

“I don’t have that much time so I’m going to make a run for it and it’s kind of renewed everything.  I thoroughly enjoyed training going to boxing and Muay Thai and all that.  I feel kind of renewed and everything, this is a whole new goal and this is a whole new chapter in my career.”

As poet Robert Browning once said “my sun sets to rise again,” and Miller’s sun has begun to rise and is tearing away at that dark cloud.   At welterweight, he feels lighter and quicker and wants to give his son something to look forward to.

On his path to brighter days, he must first get through Ricardo Funch at UFC on FX 4.  And while he didn’t know much about his opponent, Miller has always been a yes man and expects a tough battle in Atlantic City.

“He’s a tough kid and he’s got very good skills; it’s going to be a tough fight.  I didn’t really know much about him when they said the name, but since then I’ve looked him up.  I didn’t really think much about it; they called with the fight and okay.

“I’m trying not to put any pressure on myself.  I got enough pressure making the weight and I always go out looking for the finish.  It’s no different in this fight and I’m going out and looking to finish him in the first round.  I don’t want to go to the second round, and I want to get out of the ring as quick as I can and go have a beer and something to eat.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

Dana White's Contender Series 7 results: Joby Sanchez, Benito Lopez headed to UFC

Another two fighters are heading to the UFC courtesy of this summer’s inaugural run of Dana White’s Contender Series. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko feels great ahead of UFC 215 title match – and has dance moves to show it

Valentina Schevchenko is over Amanda Nunes’ withdrawal from their UFC 213 title encounter: “What happened two months ago was so far away.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Gavin Tucker Doesn't Blame Referee Despite Four Broken Bones in His Face Following UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Gavin Tucker is feeling the effects of his loss to Rick Glenn at UFC 215 with four broken bones in his face. The highly touted Canadian prospect suffered the first defeat of his career in a lopsided read news >>

Shyann Farmer Feeling Confident Heading into Pro MMA Debut | MMAWeekly.com

Shyann Farmer (0-0) will make her pro MMA debut against fellow debuting Brenda Enriquez in a main card 105-pound bout at Combate Americas 17 on Friday. read news >>

Jose Estrada Feeling Full of Confidence Heading Into Combate Americas 17 Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Jose Estrada (3-1) will look to get back on the winning track when he takes on Izic Fernandez (2-3) in the main event of Combate Americas 17 on Friday. read news >>

Unfiltered Episode 129: Luke Rockhold

Returning to the Octagon for the first time in over a year, #3 UFC Middleweight Luke Rockhold calls in ahead of his UFC Fight Night Pittsburgh bout against David Branch. Watch the event on FS1 this S read news >>

Felipe Arantes vs. Luke Sanders Scrapped from UFC Fight Night in Pittsburgh | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC Fight Night card in Pittsburgh this weekend has just lost a fight. Due to illness. bantamweight fighter Felipe Arantes has been force out of his bout against Luke Sanders in a fight that was read news >>

Watch Sean O'Malley's Knockout Win That Earned Him a UFC Contract (Free Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

See the fight from Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series that brought Dana White to his feet and earned Sean O'Malley a UFC contract. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 Preview: 3 Fights You Can't Miss in Pittsburgh

Credit where it's due: Luke Rockhold knows how to nurse a wound. It was well over a year ago that Rockhold lost his UFC middleweight title to Michael Bisping. Despite being a massive favorite in his read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116's Mike Perry not so subtly accuses Thiago Alves of ducking

Mike Perry is upset at opportunity lost by Thiago Alves’ withdrawal. But he’ll take it out on short-notice replacement Alex Reyes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>