anthony-smith-1.jpgThere’s one thing we can be reasonably sure about when it comes to Anthony Smith: The man isn’t lacking confidence.

Smith (17-9 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meets Antonio Braga Neto (8-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday at UFC on FUEL TV 10 in Brazil, and “Lionheart” recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) that he knows he belongs in the UFC after his run in Strikeforce.

On Thursday, with his debut against Neto just two days away, he upped the ante by telling MMAjunkie.com Radio he’s seen his opponent this week in Brazil. There’s little doubt in Smith’s mind that he already has the upper hand.

“I can already tell – I can see it in his face that he’s not sure,” Smith said from Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil, where he fights Neto at Paulo Sarasate Arena on a Facebook stream ahead of the main card on FUEL TV. “When I see him in the lobby and we’re walking around, the fight’s not on my mind. I’m confident and I know what I’m going to do. But you can tell on his face he’s not sure he can beat me. He’s fighting two fights – he’s fighting with himself, and he’s fighting me, too. He’ll look at me out of the corner of his eye and look down.”

So Smith is confident he has a mental edge right out of the gate, even though he’s the underdog in the fight and he’s facing a Brazilian on a Brazilian’s home turf.

But he also is confident that before he can get his hand raised, he’s going to be in for a good little scrap – and the three cageside judges? They might as well wait back in the dressing room.

“They don’t need to worry about coming till the second fight, that’s for sure,” Smith said. “There’s no way this is going the distance, I promise. It’s going to be fireworks and I guarantee we’re going to come across the cage fast and we’re going to see who’s tougher.”

Smith went 2-2 for Strikeforce, including a second-round submission loss to Roger Gracie at the promotion’s finale in January. Still, the UFC took him on.

That the UFC was confident in his skill set should say something. But Smith still has fans who don’t believe he’s up to snuff. And therein lies the challenge of trying to push the negativity to the side, which he usually is pretty good at.

“I try not to (pay attention to the fans),” he said. “I get a lot of good press, but I get a lot of negative reactions from the fans. I’m not sure why that is, but I try to not pay attention to it too much.”

So far in Brazil, despite being an American about to fight a home-country fighter, he said he’s received a relatively warm welcome. That may not be the same on fight night for his walk to the cage.

But if things go the way Smith plans, the Brazilian crowd will be won over by his performance and heart.

“I assumed I was going to have to some people not on my side just because I’m fighting a Brazilian,” he said. “But I’ve always heard Brazilian fans are just MMA fans, and I knew it wasn’t going to take much for me to win them over, anyway.

“I feel like I may get booed on my way in, but I guarantee I’m going to get cheered on my way out.”

For the latest on UFC on FUEL TV 10, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my progress since first loss

LAKEWOOD, Colo. – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at read news >>

Demian Maia Issues Statement on Waiting for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Demian Maia believes he is next in line for a UFC welterweight title shot and is willing to wait for it. read news >>

Jacare Souza Believes Luke Rockhold is Avoiding Him, Remains Focused on the Belt (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jacare Souza believes Luke Rockhold is avoiding him and knows he has a tough fight with Tim Boetsch ahead, but he remains focused on a UFC title shot. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

UFC champ de Randamie believes hand surgery inevitable, responds to Holm, 'Cyborg'

On a media teleconference Thursday, Germaine de Randamie discussed the likelihood of hand surgery and responded to criticism from both Holly Holm and “Cyborg” Justino.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dan Hardy believes UFC return could be near: 'Confident I have paperwork' that clears me

LONDON — If Dan Hardy has his way, he’ll be fighting inside the octagon before the end of 2018, explaining to MMAjunkie that a team of the United Kingdom’s best cardiologists have now cleared him to read news >>

UFC on FOX 23's Aljamain Sterling: People will be very surprised by my process since first loss

DENVER – Aljamain Sterling believes fans are going to see a different fighter than the one that suffered his first career loss eight months ago when he returns to the octagon on Saturday at UFC on FO read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yair Rodriguez believes Penn win has him creeping closer to UFC featherweight title shot

HOUSTON – After his brutal beatdown of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn a few weeks ago, Yair Rodriguez can admit just taking the fight put him in a no-win situation. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Rafael dos Anjos considering Robbie Lawler, Nick Diaz for first welterweight fight

Rafael dos Anjos believes he’s earned the right to jump right into UFC title contention in the welterweight division.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>