antonio-braga-neto.jpgFORTALEZA, BRAZIL – It didn’t take long for Antonio Braga Neto to show why he’s one of the most feared jiu-jitsu practitioners in the world.

Making his UFC debut, the Brazilian put his ground skills on display – though he had to eat a few punches to the mug in the process – Neto submitted Strikeforce crossover fighter Anthony Smith with a slick first-round kneebar.

The middleweight bout opened up today’s UFC on FUEL TV 10 event at Paulo Sarasate Arena in Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil. It streamed on Facebook ahead of a main card on FUEL TV.

Smith opened with a left to the chin, but Neto countered with a right hand. Knowing his key to victory was on the ground, the Pan American Games and World Jiu-Jitsu Championship gold medalist tried a takedown 15 seconds in. But Smith defended and made him eat a knee to the body.

Neto landed a left that backed Smith up moments later and the two traded on the feet. But Neto kept that takedown in mind and got Smith to the ground 100 seconds into the fight. He initially looked for an arm, then tried for a rear naked choke while briefly taking Smith’s back.

Smith was able to escape, then reverse position for a moment, but that’s when Neto took advantage. Neto, more than a 2-to-1 favorite in the fight, grabbed Smith’s left leg, trapped his ankle and torqued for a brutal kneebar finish that had the American tapping at the 1:52 mark of the first frame.

“I felt two of the blows and felt my nose bleed, but it was nothing I wasn’t prepared for,” Neto said. “My training was actually six times worse. It was over so fast that I felt like I could do five more (rounds). I am very excited I was able to win this fight here. My mom is here, my entire family is here – they rented three apartments here. I printed 120 shirts for the people who came and it still wasn’t enough! I’m very happy. I trained very hard, I did things in my training that I hadn’t done in my entire career.”

Neto (9-1 MMA, 1-0 UFC) stretched his win streak to four after wins over UFC vets Maiquel Falcao and Brock Larson prior to signing with the UFC. Smith (17-10 MMA, 0-1 UFC) lost for the second straight time after being submitted by Roger Gracie at the Strikeforce finale in January.

Up-to-the-minute UFC on FUEL TV 10 results include:

• Antonio Braga Neto def. Anthony Smith via submission (kneebar) – Round 1, 1:52

For complete coverage of UFC on FUEL TV 10, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

(Pictured: Antonio Braga Neto)

John Morgan contributed to this report on-site in Brazil.

Max Griffin vs. Sergio Moraes booked for UFC Fight Night 106 in Fortaleza, Brazil

A welterweight bout is the latest addition to the UFC’s return to Brazil in March. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jason Knight Taps Out Alex Caceres (UFC Denver Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Jason Knight's rear-naked choke submission of Alex Caceres at UFC on FOX 23: Shevchenko vs. Pena in Denver. read news >>

UFC 208 results: 'Jacare' Souza gets night's first stoppage, taps Tim Boetsch with kimura

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Ronaldo Souza made easy work of Tim Boetsch – once they hit the mat. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

No Surprises as Jacare Taps Tim Boetsch (UFC 208 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Jacare Souza did what he does best to Tim Boetsch at UFC 208 on Saturday night in Brooklyn. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 results: Valentina Shevchenko taps Julianna Pena for first submission win in nearly 11 years

DENVER – Valentina Shevchenko cut the line in the women’s bantamweight division, outgrappling Julianna Pena to pitch herself as the next title contender.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko Taps Out Julianna Pena in Headliner (UFC Denver Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Valentina Shevchekno made a big statement for title contention at UFC on FOX 23, submitting Julianna Pena in the second round in the event's featured bout on Saturday in Denver. read news >>

Watch the UFC on Fox 23 Post-Fight Press Conference Live Following the Event | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC Fight Night 23 post-fight press conference streaming live from the Pepsi Center in Denver following the the event. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Valentina Shevchenko’s submission of Pena, confrontation with Nunes at UFC on FOX 23

Valentina Shevchenko continued to thrive in the UFC women’s bantamweight division when she earned her second consecutive FOX-televised main event victory on Saturday at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: Fea read news >>

UFC on Fox 23 Results: Winners, Scorecards for Shevchenko vs. Pena Card

UFC on Fox 23 unfolded Saturday evening at Pepsi Center in Denver, and Valentina Shevchenko stole the show in the main event with a second-round victory via submission over a fiery Julianna Pena. The read news >>

Cerrone vs. Masvidal Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

Donald Cerrone’s Cinderella march through the welterweight division encountered its first bit of adversity Saturday at UFC on Fox 23. Jorge Masvidal dashed Cerrone’s four-fight winning streak at 170 read news >>