#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Demetrious Johnson #Anderson Silva #Fight Night Rotterdam #Dominick Cruz

mike-chiesa-8.jpgSEATTLE – You could be forgiven if you’re under the belief that a scraggly coyote has taken up permanent residence on Michael Chiesa‘s chin.

Aside from his undefeated record and victorious run on “The Ultimate Fighter 15,” the UFC lightweight’s unkempt beard has become his signature feature.

But there was a time when he wanted a trim. While filming “TUF 15,” a grueling 13-week season in which fights were shown live, he wanted to reduce the size of his crumb catcher.

“The funny thing is that I always kept it a little long,” he said. “But when I was on ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ I asked them (about it). I asked them, ‘Hey, I really want to trim this thing down.’ And they’re like, ‘Nope, can’t do it. Consistency. When you trim it, we can’t go back and use old footage.’ So I got stuck with growing this big huge beard.”

It’s now become a fight-week staple, and Chiesa admits he’s grown a bit fond of it.

“The fans fell in love with it, and I’ve become accustomed to it,” he said. “So now it’s just kind of a part of who I am.”

Earlier this week, the ungroomed grappler made the four-hour drive from his home in Spokane, Wash., to Seattle, which plays host to Saturday’s UFC on FOX 8 event and the featured preliminary-card bout between Chiesa (9-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and Jorge Masvidal (24-7 MMA, 1-0 UFC). Their meeting is the final fight on FX before the night’s FOX-televised main card.

In the buildup to the bout, Masvidal has gotten awfully personal with his trash talk of Chiesa. He previously called Chiesa “a watered-down Royce Gracie,” and on Thursday, he said he worried about catching venereal disease from the “jerk’s” beard.

But Chiesa, a sportsman who prides himself on acting like one, said he’s not going to fire back with insults.

“It’s a tough matchup,” Chiesa told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “Jorge is well-traveled and a vet. I’m the up-and-comer. He’s had his time, but it’s mine now. There’s really not a bad thing I can say about him, honestly.

“I’ll talk on Saturday night. I’m not one to sit and talk trash. … It doesn’t matter. I’m a performer, not a talker.”

Chiesa said a perk of fighting close to home is the family and friends who will be in attendance for the bout. Unlike some fighters, he doesn’t feel added pressure from their presence. And come Saturday, he fully expects to celebrate a win with his band of supporters.

And for the beard? Don’t expect it to make a disappearance like it has after other fights.

“Anytime I shave it off, I feel like I look like a pinhead,” he said. “I need a chin job. I need to get a new chin or something bigger. So I’ll probably just trim it down a bit.”

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Comments

UFC's Gilbert Burns discusses tough, but needed reassessment after painful loss a year ago

UFC lightweight Gilbert Burns returned with a vengeance earlier this month. But getting back on track, he says, was not an easy process. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216: Ferguson vs. Lee Preview Podcast with Michael Chiesa and Anthony Birchak | MMAWeekly.com

With just one day remaining to UFC 216, Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee are just hours away from stepping into the Octagon to crown an interim lightweight champion. Meanwhile, Demetrious Johnson will loo read news >>

Tony Ferguson's Championship Choke (UFC 216 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from Tony Ferguson's interim lightweight title victory over Kevin Lee at UFC 216 on Satur read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas rematch co-headlines UFC on FOX 26; Perry-Ponzinibbio, Mein-Silva added

A featherweight rematch from a past title fight has been booked as the co-main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg in December.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Robbie Lawler vs. Rafael dos Anjos headlines UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

The UFC announced today that Robbie Lawler will take on Rafael dos Anjos in the headliner for UFC on FOX 26.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Galore Bofando vs. Chad Laprise among additions to UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

With the main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg now set, the card below it continues to build. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 26 tickets on sale this week, and $316 Canadian gets you cageside

• 23 hours ago

The UFC returns to Winnipeg next month, and tickets for the event go on sale this week. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fans invited to Friday's UFC Fight Night 118 weigh-ins, Q&A, autograph signing in Poland

• 23 hours ago

If you’re in Poland for UFC Fight Night 118, you’ll have an opportunity to get up close to a pair of standout fighters at the weigh-ins.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Patrick Cummins says he's off UFC 217 fight card due to 'mutant staph infection'

• 22 hours ago

Patrick Cummins says he will no longer compete at next month’s mega-UFC 217 card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'UFC on the Fly': Behind the scenes with UFC-Gdansk headliner Darren Till

• 21 hours ago

England’s Darren Till has been considered one of the UFC’s best prospects since he came to the promotion in 2015. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>