#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Rizin 7 #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Quinton Jackson #Michael Bisping

john-moraga-1.jpgUFC flyweight contender John Moraga (13-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) respects current champion Demetrious Johnson (17-2-1 MMA, 5-1-1 UFC). Really, he does. He just happens to think “Mighty Mouse” is a boring fighter.

“He just bounces around,” Moraga told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “He runs around too much. He doesn’t fight. He doesn’t put on exciting fights. He’s got a lot of technique and a lot of skill, but he doesn’t finish people, I don’t feel.

“I think he’s boring.”

The once-beaten Moraga challenges Johnson for the flyweight belt at this summer’s UFC on FOX 8 event, which takes place July 27 at Seattle’s KeyArena and airs on FOX.

The pair was originally expected to meet in April, but Johnson required shoulder surgery, which delayed the contest.

Moraga, who was a bit of a surprise booking, admitted the opportunity came a little sooner than he expected, but that he felt confident the UFC wouldn’t take it away when Johnson was forced to the sidelines.

“I was a bit surprised that it came so quick, but I was the only one that had two finishes in the division,” Moraga said. “I felt like I beat two decently ranked opponents, so I felt like it was possible. But I was a little bit surprised it came so quick.

“Still, I was confident I was going to be able to keep it. I just didn’t really worry about it. I figured that would be the best way to go about it. I just trained hard, and I figured things would play out however they do.”

Fortunately for Moraga, the UFC saw fit to keep the contest together. Now he’ll try to earn the UFC crown by becoming the first man to hand Johnson a loss at 125 pounds.

While “Mighty Mouse” is often praised for his speed and wrestling ability, Moraga – a two-time All-American wrestler at Arizona State University – doesn’t see anything special in Johnson’s game other than an impressive sense of timing.

“I don’t think he’s that fast,” Moraga said. “I think he has good timing.

“He has very good timing with his takedowns. I don’t think he’s the greatest wrestler, but he just has good timing, and good timing is key in MMA wrestling.”

Moraga’s two UFC wins have come by stoppage, including a “Submission of the Night” win over Chris Cariaso and a knockout victory over Ulysses Gomez. Meanwhile, Johnson’s three flyweight wins have all come by decision, and he has just one stoppage victory in seven total wins under the Zuffa banner.

It’s that fact that colors Moraga’s opinion of the champ. Sure, he’s effective, but is he bringing much-needed attention to the 125-pound division.

“He’s great,” Moraga said of Johnson. “To the educated MMA fan, he’s probably not boring. I probably didn’t word that right. But to the people when you’re trying to gain fans, especially for the flyweight division, I think it’s boring to them because it’s always the same thing with him.

“My main thing is I don’t like going out there an putting on boring fights. For this fight, who knows how it’s going to play out? Once we get in there, we’ll adapt to whatever we need to. I know I’m going to have to be a little bit patient because he moves around so much and he doesn’t really get the fight going right away, as far as big, heavy exchanges or anything like that.”

It’s big talk from the 29-year-old Arizona native, who trains alongside UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson at The MMA Lab in suburban Phoenix. But Moraga plans on making good on his end of the bargain.

After all, it was just 12 months ago that Moraga was competing on Arizona’s regional circuit. Now he’s hoping to become a UFC champion and change his fortunes.

“This is the biggest opportunity of my life,” Moraga said. “I started fighting for my kids. I’ve gotten this far all for them, and it’s the most important thing. It’s the biggest opportunity, and I can’t let it slip by. It means everything to me.”

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC 216 bonuses: Demetrious Johnson's late finish became his eighth UFC fight-night bonus

Demetrious Johnson, John Moraga, Bobby Green and Lando Vannata each earned $50,000 fight-night bonuses at Saturday’s UFC 216 event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fighter Demetrious Johnson Sets Record for Consecutive Title Defenses

Fact: Demetrious Johnson sets record for consecutive title defenses with 11. Bleacher Report will be bringing sports fans the most interesting and engaging Cold Hard Facts of the day, presented by Co read news >>

Champ Demetrious Johnson breaks down 'Mighty Armbar,' reveals potential knee injury

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson used his opponent’s fighting philosophy against him to break the all-time title defense record at UFC 216.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ray Borg: 'Sneaky' UFC champ Demetrious Johnson was like 'fighting my future self'

Ray Borg was humble in defeat following his wild submission loss to UFC champ Demetrious Johnson at UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Glad Anderson Silva's Name is No Longer by His for UFC Record | MMAWeekly.com

(Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube) UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson etched his name in the history books on Saturday night in Las Vegas. In the UFC 216 co-main event, he submitted Ray B read news >>

Demetrious Johnson on historic UFC 216 title defense: 'No one was going to take this away from me'

Not only did UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson make history on Saturday at UFC 216, but he did so with maximum style points.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Let's get another look at Demetrious Johnson's ridiculous armbar win at UFC 216

Demetrious Johnson now has sole possession of the UFC’s most prestigious record – most consecutive title defenses – and he did it with flare.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

John Moraga knew job was on the line, fought back tears after huge KO at UFC 216

When he had a three-fight skid, John Moraga was starting to have doubts about whether or not he should keep pursuing the UFC dream.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

John Moraga Drops the Bomb on Magomed Bibulatov (UFC 216 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from John Moraga's knockout victory over Magomed Bibulatov at UFC 216 on Saturday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 216 results: John Moraga KOs 6-1 favorite Magomed Bibulatov with vicious left hand

Against an unbeaten prospect who was a 6-1 favorite, ex-title challenger John Moraga didn’t have many picking him to beat Magomed Bibulatov.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>