#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Tony Ferguson #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Donald Cerrone #Dominick Cruz #Robbie Lawler

josh-thomson-17.jpgJosh Thomson gave a pretty succinct summary of his big win over Nate Diaz at Saturday’s UFC on FOX 7 event: “I didn’t fight stupid.”

That’s certainly one way of putting it.

Thomson (20-5 MMA, 3-1 UFC), a recent Strikeforce fighter who returned to the UFC for the first time in nearly nine years, delivered recent title challenger Diaz (16-9 MMA, 11-7 UFC) his first knockout loss. The bout, which netted Thomson a $50,000 “KO of the Night” award, was part of the FOX-televised main card at Saturday’s UFC on FOX 7 event at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif.

Thomson shrugged off his opponent’s taunts, landed quick combos, scored takedowns and battered Diaz with sharp elbows. Head kicks, including one that set up the second-round finish, also scored with remarkable accuracy.

“For me, this was a perfect fight,” Thomson, a former Strikeforce champion, said after the event. “I fought smart. I didn’t fight stupid. I did the things I needed to do, and I didn’t get caught up in the banter. That was the biggest thing.

“In the second fight with Gil (Melendez) when him and I fought, I was getting frustrated. I got caught up in the brawl, and it cost me my title. So I told myself I would never do that again. Just go out there, and implement my gameplan, and I think that showed tonight.”

Thomson, who closed out his Strikeforce career a year ago with a title loss to Melendez (and an overall 10-3 record), was a small underdog heading into the fight. Yet Thomson largely agreed with the oddsmakers, which made his dominant win all the more surprising.

“I didn’t see it going this way at all,” he said. “I played it in my head like 100 times. And honestly in probably about 50 of those times, I lost. It’s probably a hard pill to swallow for some of you guys to believe that, but you’ve got to be prepared for every scenario. I had to make sure I fought a good fight, and I just picked him apart. That, in my mind, was making sure I implemented my gameplan and didn’t get caught up in the banter and all the other crap. I went out there and did my job. When I do that, I feel like I’m one of the best guys in the world.”

It’s justifiable argument. Heading into UFC on FOX 7, Thomson was ranked No. 14 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie.com MMA lightweight rankings, though his ranking has steadily declined over the past few years due to inactivity, injuries, key losses and the resurgence of the UFC’s 155-pound division. Diaz, in fact, was ranked No. 6, largely due to the quality of competition he faced in the octagon, which was unavailable to Thomson until Strikeforce closed its doors earlier this year and sent its top talent to the UFC.

But Thomson, 34, believes he’ll make the most of his current opportunity. He’s ready for big fights with the UFC.

“I started my career here, and I’m 100 percent sure I’m going to finish it here,” he said. “I get this question every time: ‘Oh, you’re getting older,’ and blah, blah, blah. I’m tired of hearing all that. But guess what? I will finish my career here. I’m happy to be here.

“Honestly, I would have never left. I’d be here still, to this day. I think I’ve proven it over and over again. it was uncontrollable circumstances that put me in a position where I had to leave the UFC. I had to make money and get a job and get the experience to still be a fighter and live my dream. I’m back here, and it was meant to be. That’s all I can say. It was meant to be.”

For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Nate Diaz Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Tony Ferguson Bashes The Possibility of Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3 | MMAWeekly.com

Top UFC lightweight contender Tony Ferguson will take on seventh ranked Kevin Lee for the interim 155-pound title in the UFC 216 main event on October 7. read news >>

Dana White Responds to Reports of Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3 at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor may very well be plotting his return to the Octagon but reports that he's agreed to meet Nate Diaz at UFC 219 on Dec. 30 are premature. Several outlets began reporting over the weekend read news >>

Tony Ferguson warns if UFC books Conor McGregor-Nate Diaz 3, 'fans will be pissed'

No great surprise, but Tony Ferguson doesn’t like the idea of a rubber match between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

The bloody Jessica Andrade-Claudia Gadelha fight at UFC-Japan gave us incredible photos

Jessica Andrade and Claudia Gadelha gave us the “Fight of the Night” at UFC Fight Night 117.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3 at UFC 219 in Las Vegas? Dana White says nope

Excited about the Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz rubber match trilogy fight at UFC 219 in December? Dana White says you should pump the brakesFiled under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Tony Ferguson's Championship Choke (UFC 216 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from Tony Ferguson's interim lightweight title victory over Kevin Lee at UFC 216 on Satur read news >>

Coach: Conor McGregor 'too clean' for Tony Ferguson; fans prefer Nate Diaz trilogy

Who’s next for UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor – new interim titleholder Tony Ferguson or two-time former foe Nate Diaz?Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas rematch co-headlines UFC on FOX 26; Perry-Ponzinibbio, Mein-Silva added

A featherweight rematch from a past title fight has been booked as the co-main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg in December.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC on FOX 26 tickets on sale this week, and $316 Canadian gets you cageside

The UFC returns to Winnipeg next month, and tickets for the event go on sale this week. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Robbie Lawler vs. Rafael dos Anjos headlines UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

The UFC announced today that Robbie Lawler will take on Rafael dos Anjos in the headliner for UFC on FOX 26.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>