#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #Luke Rockhold #GGG #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Vengeance Fighting Alliance #Duelo De Giagantes

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Welcome back to the octagon, Josh Thomson.

Nine years after he left the UFC, former Strikeforce champion Thomson made a triumphant return with a second-round TKO of Nate Diaz.

The lightweight bout was part of the main card of today’s UFC on FOX 7 event at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. It aired on FOX following prelims on FX and Facebook.

The taunting started early from experienced trash talker Diaz, who took a few leg kicks as he advanced on Thomson. But rather than get baited into a slugfest, Thomson spent the early part of the first frame on his bicycle.

Twice, though, he broke a stalemate with high kicks that slapped Diaz upside the head.

After frustrating Diaz with movement, Thomson began to stand his ground, stopping Diaz in his tracks with stiff combinations. To add to Diaz’s woes, Thomson put him on the mat and landed shots from overhead.

Diaz immediately chased Thomson down at the start of the second frame and brought a halt to the action with a knee to the groin. Diaz continued to taunt his opponent, but Thomson tied him up and landed elbows in close. Blood began to flow from Diaz’s face.

Diaz nabbed a takedown and briefly threatened with a submission, but Thomson escaped danger.

Then, Thomson returned to what brought him success early in the fight. Again ducking low and kicking high, his shin caught Diaz on the temple and send him reeling to the cage. A follow-up right hand further removed Diaz from consciousness, and just as referee Mike Beltran stepped in to stop the bout at the 3:44 mark of the second, his corner threw in the towel.

An ecstatic Thomson ran the cage and screamed to cageside observers.

“I played it over and over in my head and honestly, I had myself losing a couple times, too,” Thomson said. “I couldn’t have scripted it any better. I doubted myself a little bit. I was more nervous for this fight than I was for Gilbert (Melendez). I thought he posed a lot of problems for me from his ground to his reach. My whole game plan was to pick him apart and take what he gives me. I did something the champ didn’t – I finished him. I think I deserve a shot at the title but it’s hard for me to say. I was fighting in the UFC before it was cool. I started my career here and I’m so happy that I get to finish it here.”

Thomson (20-5 MMA, 3-1 UFC), who was a slight underdog leading into the fight, gets back in the winner’s circle following a loss to former Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez in a rubber match. Diaz (16-9 MMA, 11-7 UFC) now has lost back-to-back fights following a decision loss to champ Benson Henderson at UFC on FOX 5.

Up-to-the-minute UFC on FOX 7 results include:

For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

John Morgan and Ben Fowlkes contributed to this report on-site in San Jose.

Galleries

Nate Diaz Fights

• a year ago
  • 12033 views

Comments

Management group settles with Leslie Smith, moves suit against Nate Diaz to federal court

A management lawsuit has been settled against UFC women’s bantamweight Leslie Smith, but Nate Diaz is now being sued in federal court. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Alexander Volkov Stops Stefan Struve (UFC Rotterdam Results) | MMAWeekly.com

A pair of top ten ranked heavyweights headlined UFC Fight Night 115 in Rotterdam, Netherlands on Saturday. Alexander Volkov extended his winning streak to five consecutive fights by finishing Stefan read news >>

Nate Diaz Says Conor McGregor Didn't Learn During Loss to Floyd Mayweather

Nate Diaz, who is a UFC rival of Conor McGregor's, apparently wasn't impressed with the latter's effort in the boxing ring against Floyd Mayweather Jr. On his Instagram page Tuesday, Diaz said, "He p read news >>

Nate Diaz Celebrates with Floyd Mayweather, Rips the UFC After the Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Nate Diaz didn't walk out to the ring with Floyd Mayweather as some suspected going into Saturday night, but he definitely celebrated with him afterwards. Diaz attended the historic fight between May read news >>

Tim Elliott vs. Justin Scoggins added to UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

December’s UFC on FOX 26 lineup has a few flyweight addition: former title challenger Tim Elliott vs. Justin Scoggins.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

… (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out highlights from .... at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. UFC 215 took place on Saturday, Sept. 9, at read news >>

Conor McGregor Sued for Allegedly Injuring Man During Nate Diaz Press Conference

Celebrity gossip site The Blast reported UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor is the subject of a lawsuit stemming from a pre-fight press conference ahead of his UFC 202 victory over Nate Diaz. Du read news >>

Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov moved from Brazil to UFC on FOX 26 in Canada

Brazil’s loss is Canada’s gain as Glover Teixeira vs. Misha Cirkunov has been moved to Winnipeg.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Pittsburgh results: Luke Rockhold stops David Branch, tells Georges St-Pierre to step aside

Luke Rockhold appeared a bit hesitant in his first appearance in more than 15 months but shook off the rust to finish David Branch.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

DWCS winner Julian Marquez to make debut vs. Vitor Miranda at UFC on FOX 26

How will Julian Marquez follow up his ferocious win on Dana White’s Contender Series?Filed under: News, UFC read news >>