#Conor McGregor #Cris Cyborg #UFC 211 #Bellator 179 #Nate Diaz #Angela Magana #Rory MacDonald #Paul Daley #Dhiego Lima #UFC 202 #Hayder Hulk Hassan

SAN JOSE, Calif. – Welcome back to the octagon, Josh Thomson.

Nine years after he left the UFC, former Strikeforce champion Thomson made a triumphant return with a second-round TKO of Nate Diaz.

The lightweight bout was part of the main card of today’s UFC on FOX 7 event at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif. It aired on FOX following prelims on FX and Facebook.

The taunting started early from experienced trash talker Diaz, who took a few leg kicks as he advanced on Thomson. But rather than get baited into a slugfest, Thomson spent the early part of the first frame on his bicycle.

Twice, though, he broke a stalemate with high kicks that slapped Diaz upside the head.

After frustrating Diaz with movement, Thomson began to stand his ground, stopping Diaz in his tracks with stiff combinations. To add to Diaz’s woes, Thomson put him on the mat and landed shots from overhead.

Diaz immediately chased Thomson down at the start of the second frame and brought a halt to the action with a knee to the groin. Diaz continued to taunt his opponent, but Thomson tied him up and landed elbows in close. Blood began to flow from Diaz’s face.

Diaz nabbed a takedown and briefly threatened with a submission, but Thomson escaped danger.

Then, Thomson returned to what brought him success early in the fight. Again ducking low and kicking high, his shin caught Diaz on the temple and send him reeling to the cage. A follow-up right hand further removed Diaz from consciousness, and just as referee Mike Beltran stepped in to stop the bout at the 3:44 mark of the second, his corner threw in the towel.

An ecstatic Thomson ran the cage and screamed to cageside observers.

“I played it over and over in my head and honestly, I had myself losing a couple times, too,” Thomson said. “I couldn’t have scripted it any better. I doubted myself a little bit. I was more nervous for this fight than I was for Gilbert (Melendez). I thought he posed a lot of problems for me from his ground to his reach. My whole game plan was to pick him apart and take what he gives me. I did something the champ didn’t – I finished him. I think I deserve a shot at the title but it’s hard for me to say. I was fighting in the UFC before it was cool. I started my career here and I’m so happy that I get to finish it here.”

Thomson (20-5 MMA, 3-1 UFC), who was a slight underdog leading into the fight, gets back in the winner’s circle following a loss to former Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez in a rubber match. Diaz (16-9 MMA, 11-7 UFC) now has lost back-to-back fights following a decision loss to champ Benson Henderson at UFC on FOX 5.

Up-to-the-minute UFC on FOX 7 results include:

For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

John Morgan and Ben Fowlkes contributed to this report on-site in San Jose.

Nate Diaz Says He Won't Return to UFC in 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

Nate Diaz has been on a break. And it appears he’s going to remain on a break for the foreseeable future. read news >>

Nate Diaz Rips Into Conor McGregor, Tony Furgeson, UFC, and Everyone Else! (video) | MMAWeekly.com

In a special interview on Wednesday, Nate Diaz ripped into Conor McGregor, Tony Ferguson, Dana White, the UFC, and just about everyone else. read news >>

Nate Diaz took UFC 213 fight vs. Tony Ferguson, then decided not to do Conor McGregor's 'dirty work'

UFC star Nate Diaz said he was offered to fight Tony Ferguson at UFC 213, but “circumstances” and an epiphany of sorts kept him from realizing the matchup after he initially accepted the offer.Filed read news >>

Dana White Not Sure If Nick and Nate Diaz Will Ever Fight Again | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White said that he's not sure if we'll ever see the Diaz Brothers, Nate and Nick, ever fight again. read news >>

On Nate Diaz and the 'Allegory of the Cafeteria'

In trying to explain why he's in no hurry to accept the UFC's fight offers, Nate Diaz gave us a glimpse at a worldview that, as usual, somehow makes a lot of sense even when it doesn't. He might have read news >>

Jimmie Rivera vs. Thomas Almeida bantamweight clash booked for UFC on FOX 25 on Long Island

Jimmie Rivera will go after his 20th straight win this summer, and he’ll get to do it not far from home. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Nate Diaz Says He's Not Interested in Fighting for UFC's 'Fake' Interim Titles

UFC star Nate Diaz said he is not interested in fighting for interim titles after being offered a bout against Tony Ferguson. According to Brett Okamoto of ESPN, Diaz was invited to compete for the i read news >>

Nate Diaz Could Be Done Fighting in UFC, Dana White Says

UFC President Dana White isn't sure if Nate Diaz will ever fight again. "If they want to fight next week or if they never want to fight again, that's up to them," he said when talking about Diaz and read news >>

Report: Chris Wade meets Frankie Perez in Ring of Combat rematch at UFC on FOX 25

The UFC’s debut event on Long Island this summer has another fight featuring a local – and it’ll be a rematch.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Demian Maia, Nate Diaz and the Best Active UFC Fighters to Never Win UFC Gold

Marino. Malone. Moss. Maia? The jiu-jitsu world champ and current UFC contender has torn off six straight wins, several of them over the company's top welterweights. However, at age 39, the end of De read news >>