#Fight Night London #Alexa Grasso #Tatiana Suarez #Kamaru Usman #Demian Maia #UFC 224 #Conor McGregor #Enrique Barzola #Brandon Davis #Andrea Lee #Amanda Nunes

UFC on FOX 26 winner John Makdessi seeks 'inner peace' after years of uncertainty

WINNIPEG – John Makdessi wears his emotions on his sleeve, as was evident in his post-fight outburst toward Abel Trujillo following his victory at UFC on FOX 26.

Makdessi (15-6 MMA, 8-6 UFC) told Trujillo (15-8 MMA, 6-4 UFC) to show respect after his opponent initially refused to embrace after their three-round lightweight fight, which Makdessi won by unanimous decision on Saturday’s card at Bell MTS Place in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

After the fight, Makdessi explained exactly why he was frustrated with the situation, simply chalking it up to the need to “let go of some steam.”

“I’m an emotional guy,” Makdessi told reporters. “I do things with my heart. I’ve been doing martial arts since age 6. I had some ups and downs. It was a tough couple years for me. People just see the fighting and on the cameras, but they don’t know the fighter’s life is a very lonely life. You’re in your head a lot. It’s a very tough road. It was just very emotional. A lot of emotions; that’s it. Abel was talking a lot of stuff. I just had to let go of some steam.”

Makdessi’s victory marked his return to the octagon from a more than one-year layoff. In his last fight, the Canadian suffered a “Knockout of the Year” contender vs. Lando Vannata at UFC 206. Following that fight, Makdessi opted to change gyms from Tristar in Montreal to Roufusport Training Center in Milwaukee. He admits he had doubts about the move, but the result proved his decision was correct.

“I had a lot of struggle, a lot of doubts and a lot of uncertainty,” Makdessi said. “I’m just very happy I connected with Duke (Roufus). He has a lot of experience, a bunch of great guys with good spirits and glad I have a connection with my new team.”

Makdessi said his doubts spread beyond just the switch in training camps. He’s had an up-and-down run in the UFC and said he had a lot of questions about what he’s truly capable of. He said he’s working daily to become stronger mentally and said many of his followers have never seen his true difficulties.

“The only thing I can do is live day by day and be the best I can be every day,” Makdessi said. “Personal growth, I’m in my 30s now. I don’t think the same as when I was in my 20s. I don’t think the same as when I was in my teenage years. My goal is to try to find inner peace, and I can separate personal and my fighting career. It kind of consumed me. Fighting and training can really play with your mind.”

Coming off the win over Trujillo, though, Makdessi said he wants to test himself. He’s got some big moments in the octagon but has also fallen short in his most significant fights vs. big names. He wants the chance to challenge a top-tier fighter once more and hopefully make a run at the belt before all is said and done.

“Three fights a year is good to try to get back to the title,” Makdessi said. “Hopefully by the age of 35 or something, we’ll see what happens, maybe I can be a champion. I’m not in this sport to just come for a paycheck. It’s not about the money. The money’s a bonus.

“For me, I want my legacy. I fight for my legacy.”

For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 26, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

Khabib Nurmagomedov Addresses Contenders to His UFC Lightweight Championship | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov addressed the current cadre of UFC lightweight contenders and laid out a time for his return to the Octagon. read news >>

Neil Magny explains why he's a fan of interim UFC title fights

In an age when the volume of interim UFC title fights stirs criticism, UFC welterweight Neil Magny has a different take. read news >>

Frankie Edgar pushes for shot at Max Holloway-Brian Ortega winner after UFC Atlantic City

Fresh off a redeeming win over Cub Swanson in UFC Fight Night 128’s co-headliner, ex-champ Frankie Edgar wants another title shot. read news >>

6 biggest takeaways from UFC Atlantic City, including Kevin Lee's recovery from wobbly legs

How close did Kevin Lee come to losing a fight he seemingly had won, and was Frankie Edgar’s reward worth the risk? That and more after UFC Atlantic City. 1 2 3 4 5 …6 read news >>

UFC Fight Night 128 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: 2018 total passes $2 million

Fighters from Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 128 took home UFC Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay totaling $175,500. read news >>

Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC Fight Night 128 with AC/DC – and no Eminem Curse

Check out all the fighter walkout songs from Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 128 event. read news >>

Cub Swanson posts statement following second loss to Frankie Edgar at UFC Atlantic City

Cub Swanson is showing class following his UFC Fight Night 128 loss to Frankie Edgar. read news >>

Frankie Edgar Dominates to Decision Cub Swanson (UFC Atlantic City Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Frankie Edgar's dominant unanimous-decision victory over Cub Swanson at UFC Fight Night 128 on Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J. read news >>

UFC Atlantic City video highlights: Ricky Simon's wild TKO of Merab Dvalishvili

Check out the stunning finish to Ricky Simon vs. Merab Dvalishvili at UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>

UFC Atlantic City video highlights: Dan Hooker knocks out Jim Miller with big knee

Watch Dan Hooker land a devastating knee to finish off Jim Miller at UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>

UFC Atlantic City video highlights: David Branch KO's Thiago Santos

Watch David Branch’s big finish of Thiago Santos at UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>

UFC Atlantic City video highlights: Siyar Bahadurzada's sick body kick foils Luan Chagas

Watch Siyar Bahadurzada score a knockout win with a nasty body kick at UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>

Kevin Lee Dominates Edson Barboza (UFC Atlantic City Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Kevin Lee's dominant victory over Edson Barboza at UFC Fight Night 128 on Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 128 Draws Promotion's Largest Crowd in Atlantic City Since 2005 | MMAWeekly.com

Though far from an annual destination, the UFC drew its biggest crowd in Atlantic City since UFC 53 in June of 2005. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 128 Results: Kevin Lee TKO's Edson Barboza in Main Event

Kevin Lee closed out UFC Fight Night 128 with a memorable performance that saw him completely shut down Edson Barboza as he claimed a fifth-round TKO victory via doctor stoppage in the main event fr read news >>

David Branch KO and Controversial Fight Lead UFC Fight Night 128 Bonuses | MMAWeekly.com

There were a couple clear winners when it came to the UFC Fight Night 128 post-fight bonuses on Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J., but the Fight of the Night honor went to a bout shrouded in controvers read news >>