#Alexa Grasso #Tatiana Suarez #Demian Maia #Kamaru Usman #Fight Night London #UFC 224 #Enrique Barzola #Brandon Davis #Claudio Puelles #Brandon Moreno #Alexandre Pantoja #Andrea Lee #Veronica Macedo #Jared Cannonier #Dominick Reyes

UFC on FOX 23's Raphael Assuncao says he's seen it all, and Sterling brings nothing new

UFC bantamweight Raphael Assuncao said he “wasn’t quite there 100 percent” when he faced ex-champ T.J. Dillashaw this past July at UFC 200, and he’s changed his training to reverse his fortunes.

“I’m not looking past anybody, but I am making a long-term plan as far as winning my next fight,” Assuncao told MMAjunkie Radio this week. “My main goal is to challenge for that belt. I’ve never had a chance. There are guys that fought three or four times for the belt. Some became champs, and some never did. But I never had my chance.”

Aljamain Sterling (12-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) now stands between Assuncao (23-5 MMA, 7-2 UFC) and a spot in the mix of title contenders for this year. The two meet on the FS1-televised prelims of Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23, which takes place at Pepsi Center in Denver. The main card follows their fight on FOX.

Former champ Dillashaw leveraged his win over Assuncao into a title eliminator with John Lineker. He’s now set to coach “The Ultimate Fighter 25” opposite his former training partner and current champ Cody Garbrandt.

Assuncao, No. 4 in the latest USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA bantamweight rankings, hasn’t fought since his setback and wants to prove a point against No. 11 Sterling, whose undefeated record was taken this past May by Bryan Caraway. The two were originally slated to fight this past month at UFC Fight Night 102 before Sterling was forced to withdraw due to injury.

“I think I’ve seen what he brings to the table,” Assuncao said. “Once I get in the octagon, it changes everything. I’m sure he’s trying his best to get better and train hard, but I think I’ve seen it all. He’s not going to surprise me.

“I’m not going to be overly cocky about it, but at the end of the day, I think I’ve seen it all. He proposes some dangers, and I’ve got to be watchful for what he brings to the table.”

Assuncao carries more than double Sterling’s experience inside the cage and prior to falling short against Dillashaw won an impressive seven straight in the UFC. Injuries derailed an offered title shot against now-former champ Renan Barao, which Dillashaw used to cut the line and seize the belt. With another change at the top, Assuncao believes he’s not out of the running for another chance to win the title.

“That’s my ultimate goal,” he said. “The last two years were unfortunate for me. I couldn’t quite get my title shot, and I lost my last fight, so it’s a big deal for me. That’s what I’m gunning for.”

And while Sterling beats him on age, the more experienced Assuncao retorts: “I train like a young guy.”

For more on UFC on FOX 23, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Comments

Tony Martin says he's staying at 170 pounds after UFC Atlantic City – thanks to Mike Brown

There were moments in Tony Martin’s move up to 170 pounds that he wanted to just go a little crazy and get a highlight-reel finish. read news >>

Merab Dvalishvili 'still in shock' from questionable UFC Atlantic City loss to Ricky Simon

Merab Dvalishvili says he “kept fighting, kept showing everyone that I’m not sleeping from 55 seconds until finish.” read news >>

Bellator 198 pre-event facts: Frank Mir brings decorated UFC resume to Bellator

Check out the key facts, figures and footnotes about Bellator 198, which features a Fedor Emelianenko vs. Frank Mir grand prix headliner. read news >>

Video replay: UFC Fight Night 128 weigh-ins in Atlantic City

Check out a replay of the UFC Fight Night 128 ceremonial weigh-ins, which took place today in New Jersey. read news >>

It's on: Francis Ngannou vs. Derrick Lewis set for UFC 226 in Las Vegas

A highly anticipated heavyweight bout between Derrick Lewis and Francis Ngannou is finally on. read news >>

UFC Fight Night Atlantic City: Barboza vs. Lee Weigh-in Replay

The fighters competing on Saturday's UFC Fight Night 128 fight card in Atlantic City officially weighed in on Friday. read news >>

Francis Ngannou vs. Derrick Lewis in the Works for UFC 226 in Las Vegas | MMAWeekly.com

A long simmering feud between Francis Ngannou and Derrick Lewis will finally come to a head when the heavyweights clash at UFC 226 in Las Vegas on July 7. Sources close to the matchup confirmed the b read news >>

Who ya got?! Fighters predict Kevin Lee vs. Edson Barboza at UFC Atlantic City

Who are fighters in Atlantic City picking to win the UFC Fight Night 128 main event between Kevin Lee and Edson Barboza? read news >>

Leslie Smith says UFC has released her, criticizes Aspen Ladd for UFC Atlantic City weigh-in miss

Leslie Smith sheds light on the fallout from her refusal to fight Aspen Ladd at UFC Fight Night 128 after she came in heavy. read news >>

Aspen Ladd says she offered Leslie Smith significantly more money to stay in UFC Atlantic City bout

Aspen Ladd claims she did everything possible to bring her fight with Leslie Smith to fruition after missing weight for UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 128 weigh-ins video highlights, photos: 11 fights total after eventful morning

Check out our video highlights and photo gallery from UFC Fight Night 128’s eventful official weigh-ins. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 128 main-card breakdown: Can Jim Miller pull the upset for his home Jersey fans?

MMAjunkie Radio co-host Dan Tom provides a breakdown of UFC Fight Night 128. Today, we look at the four fights that open the main card. 1 2 3 4 …5 read news >>

UFC Fight Night 128 staff picks: Will it be Barboza or Lee, Edgar or Swanson in Atlantic City?

Check out our staff’s picks for the UFC Fight Night 128 main card in Atlantic City, N.J., including Kevin Lee vs. Edson Barboza. read news >>

Watch The UFC Fight Night Atlantic City: Weigh-in Live at 5 PM ET | MMAWeekly.com

The 11 fighters competing on Saturday's UFC Fight Night 128 fight card in Atlantic City will officially weigh in on Friday. read news >>

Cat Zingano vs. Marion Reneau Heads Trio of Bouts Added to UFC Event in Boise, Idaho

Cat Zingano vs. Marion Reneau heads a trio of bouts, including the debut of Khabib Nurmagomedov's cousin, to the UFC Fight Night event in Boise, Idaho. read news >>

10 reasons to watch UFC Atlantic City with a pair of potential slugfests atop the bill

Check out 10 reasons to watch Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 128 card in Atlantic City, N.J. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 …10 read news >>